+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: If I could go back in time, I'd argue against the 2nd Amendment

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: If I could go back in time, I'd argue against the 2nd Amendment

Believe me, there will be a lot of changes when I rule the world!
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by ivan astikov
    Well, to me it's like if it was discovered that the author of the Ten Commandments turned out to be a murdering adulterer; how much credibility would these 'laws' have if that was the case?
    You're shifting the goalposts. You cited Kentucky v Ward, yet Ward was not an author of the Second Amendment.

Further, the Second Amendment isn't a matter of moral cleanliness or the lack thereof, so the personal background of its authors is in no way germane to the discussion.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison

Registered
    Feb 2009

Perhaps the morality of those involved in the creating of the right to bear arms isn't germane to the discussion, but the circumstances in which they made the decisions would be. And on the surface, the Ward case seems to reinforce the right with an outcome that would not have arose, had the defendant been a piss-poor farmer.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Perhaps? There is no perhaps. Not relevant. Period. What circumstances? Kindly provide a cite to support these posits, unless we are expected to file them under "stuff you said".

Fine, so we presume the defendant was a "piss-poor farmer" and he'd have been convicted, that still has no bearing on the Second Amendment, per se.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison

Registered
    Feb 2009

It brought to the courts a case where the right to bear arms could be seriously tested, and was fought by 16 lawyers on the defence side, but it has no relevance?

It had no bearing on the 2nd because that had already been wrote, but the case did contest the amendment, and the outcome was later used to bolster support for it.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by ivan astikov
    It brought to the courts a case where the right to bear arms could be seriously tested, and was fought by 16 lawyers on the defence side, but it has no relevance?

It had no bearing on the 2nd because that had already been wrote, but the case did contest the amendment, and the outcome was later used to bolster support for it.
    If you're going to found your argument on this case, it is your responsibility to provide cite(s) for examination. If you're unwilling or incapable of providing same, it would be wise to drop the point.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'll just leave the point hanging there for someone with better google-fu then.

+ Reply to thread