+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fathers and sons and acting

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Fathers and sons and acting

How many times have you seen a movie, miniseries, whatever, and had a father and son play the same role? The son will be the character in their youth, and the father the character at maturity?

I've seen it at least three times. In The Ten Commandments, the infant Moses was played by Frasier Heston, son of Charlton.

And, oddly enough, in a miniseries titled Moses the Lawgiver, Burt Lancaster played the older Moses, while his son played Moses in early adulthood.

In the miniseries Shaka Zulu the actor Henry Cele played the adult Shaka, while his son played Shaka in boyhood.

Anyone know of any others? I've often thought that Martin Sheen and either of his sons could have done the same thing.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Fathers and sons and acting

Le Count De Monte Cristo starring Gerald Depardeiu as Edmond Dantes and his son as his younger self. You'll find quite a few other family members in the cast list (including the bit where Depardieu plays Edmond Dantes' father while his son plays the young Edmond...)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez did it in Nightbreaker- it was convincing and eerie as hell. Sheen and Charlie have also played father and son (Wall Street).

Registered
    Mar 2009

EJsGirl, that is cool! In my OP I speculated those guys could pull it off as well as anyone, and didn't even know it had actually been done. Thanks for posting that!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Check out the film, it's quote powerful- it's about a young man whose work with the atomic bomb tests come back to him in his later years, with much psychological conflict.

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Not the same thing, but Rory Culkin plays a younger version of the title character played by his big brother Kieran in Igby Goes Down.

There must be more examples of what you are asking for but I can't think of any.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

In The Shawshank Redemption, during the parole hearing for Red (Morgan Freeman), the sheet the board looks includes his mug shot taken when he was a young man. The photo is of Freeman's son, Alfonso.
    No cage, thank you. I'm a human being.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by sublight
    In The Shawshank Redemption, during the parole hearing for Red (Morgan Freeman), the sheet the board looks includes his mug shot taken when he was a young man. The photo is of Freeman's son, Alfonso.
    Really? Whoa. I remember seeing that mug shot in the movie and going "Geez, that looks like one mean motherfucker! They should have gotten someone who looks all kind and grandfatherly, more like Morgan Freeman!"

Don't I feel dumb now. ops:
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

+ Reply to thread