+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quick observation...

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Quick observation...

Quote Originally posted by Harlequin
    Call it what you will, there was no need for it.
    There was as much need for it as there was for you to come in a thread you allegedly have no interest in, and start giving out your advice. If the Dope's post numbers mean nothing to you, I'll ask again - Why are you still here?
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, you're talking to me. I assume you do so because you want a response.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Have I stepped into the argument clinic?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It appears so. I'll be off now. I hope someone read what I had to say.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Harlequin
    Well, you're talking to me. I assume you do so because you want a response.
    Not necessarily from someone who feels the topic is of no importance, but if you need to talk about other matters, I'll try and be here for you.

You just need to reach out sometimes.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Julie
    Have I stepped into the argument clinic?
    Well insults are down the hall.
    Don't let it be forgot / That once there was a spot / For one brief, shining moment / That was known as Camelot.

Registered
    Feb 2009

That was both a quick observation and direction. I like your style.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Ok.
    This forum is seemingly growing at the expense of another forum. Fine.
    There has been some sort of a split or whatever and a core crowd here is really excited about this.

Right now people should be interested in how to help this forum grow and prosper. Gloating is quite counter-productive to that end. The only ones that see the positive angle of gloating is the core crowd mentioned before. For new members and undecisive members, the gloating part is more repelling than anything else. Refocus on making this forum the best it can be and give this petty squabble a rest.

Seeing that there is no actual path to the discussion going on here I feel that I'm in my full right to pop by and utter a few words. Yes there are other forums and threads. No I didn't have to say anything if I found this thread uninteresting. I'm saying this for your own good: this thread decreases the overall appeal of this forum. Alot.
    "It's your hamster Richard. It's your hamster in the box and it's not breathing." - Anonymous Virgin Atlantic customer

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Borisch
    Ok.
    This forum is seemingly growing at the expense of another forum. Fine.
    There has been some sort of a split or whatever and a core crowd here is really excited about this.

Right now people should be interested in how to help this forum grow and prosper. Gloating is quite counter-productive to that end. The only ones that see the positive angle of gloating is the core crowd mentioned before. For new members and undecisive members, the gloating part is more repelling than anything else. Refocus on making this forum the best it can be and give this petty squabble a rest.

Seeing that there is no actual path to the discussion going on here I feel that I'm in my full right to pop by and utter a few words. Yes there are other forums and threads. No I didn't have to say anything if I found this thread uninteresting. I'm saying this for your own good: this thread decreases the overall appeal of this forum. Alot.
    Before anyone comes in and attacks the newbie Icelandic Swede, I just want to say that I agree with him 100%.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Borisch
    I'm saying this for your own good: this thread decreases the overall appeal of this forum. Alot.
    Thanks for the concern in the first part of your sentence, but I'm not convinced about the latter part.

How do you reckon that'd work then?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Maybe we could password this subforum. Or limit it to a certain group of users, a group to which we can apply for membership.

I'll just say, aside from that, that the so-called gloating looks different to different people. I don't know about others here, but I'm not looking for the site to become all things to all people, and grow larger than Fark.

I like the core. And I wouldn't mind at all if a select few others joined up, namely those who also like the core. I don't want a bunch of weenies who begrudge other people a good time coming around. It would only lower the appeal of the board for me. I like the sharp, almost snarky tone of the board combined with a palpable camaraderie.

I don't know about the rest of you. That's just me.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't have a problem with this subforum in general and I've posted here a lot. I am sure that we will always have one reason or another to discuss the SDMB, although I hope to see the conversation here dwindle to a trickle.

But fuck a duck, this thread. It's like driving past your ex-girlfriend's house to see who is parked in her driveway, or asking her friends if she ever talks about you and how much she misses you. It's unhealthy.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

No argument about that!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Perhaps the problem with looking at the real numbers is that it makes it hard to rest assured that the Dope is faltering while Domebo is off like a rocket.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Chimera
    As of March 14th, 2009 at 904pm CST;

Threads: 490,401, Posts: 10,830,946, Members: 82,157
    March 15th at 903pm CST;

Threads: 490,502, Posts: 10,833,220, Members: 82,164

+101 threads, +2,274 posts, +7 members

For shits and giggle comparison; Domebo as of 0908 CST;

Total posts 19766 • Total topics 926 • Total members 951
    Total posts 20629 • Total topics 967 • Total members 966 • Our newest member Satan

+41 threads, +853 posts, +15 members

Domebo has 37.5% of the number of posts on the dope, twice the growth in membership, while claiming 1.17% of the number of members. (Obviously, like other MBs, SDMB doesn't do a lot of cleanup to remove members who have not logged in at any time in the last few years.)

Given that weekends are rather quiet on both boards, it will be interesting to check this over the course of the week.
    I reserve the right to be bothered by things that don't faze you,
    and to cheerfully ignore things that bug the shit out of you.
    I am not you.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I love statistics like this.
    Can you graph them?
    I'm serious.
    This is fascinating and I appreciate the time you're taking to do this.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Liberal
    Maybe we could password this subforum. Or limit it to a certain group of users, a group to which we can apply for membership.
    If I am logged out and just a guest, I cannot see the Write Here, Write Now sub-forum, but I can see Beyond Thunderdome.

That should probably be reversed.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by ivan astikov
    Quote Originally posted by Liberal
    If I am logged out and just a guest, I cannot see the Write Here, Write Now sub-forum, but I can see Beyond Thunderdome.

That should probably be reversed.
    Write Here, Write Now was requested to be members only from the start. Beyond Thunderdome you would have to get some support for the change to member only viewing. Why do you think it should be member only? Is it for the reasons Liberal suggested?

Registered
    Feb 2009

But Write Here, Write Now is the kind of sub-forum that would draw prospective members in, whereas the posts in Beyond Thunderdome are best not seen until you are a member. Let folks see our good points before they see any negative aspects, and then, if they are put off posting again by our backstabbing and bitchiness, fair enough.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit?
    Write Here, Write Now was requested to be members only from the start.
    It was? That's the forum that drew me into this board. Are you saying I must have registered before seeing it?

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by ivan astikov
    But Write Here, Write Now is the kind of sub-forum that would draw prospective members in, whereas the posts in Beyond Thunderdome are best not seen until you are a member. Let folks see our good points before they see any negative aspects, and then, if they are put off posting again by our backstabbing and bitchiness, fair enough.
    I actually agree on Write Here, Write Now, but I think the writers like the freedom of hidden sub-forum. If they want it more public they could always post it to Jibba Jabba instead or maybe request it be on the front page.

As to BT, I would hate to hide it away, that seems wrong to me in some way I can't quite put to words. I see little reason to and it will slowly die down. Actually I think it already is.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Fair points, What Exit.

"Fair" meaning "good", "just" and "considerate", I should add!

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Myrnalene
    But fuck a duck, this thread. It's like driving past your ex-girlfriend's house to see who is parked in her driveway, or asking her friends if she ever talks about you and how much she misses you. It's unhealthy.
    That wasn't my intent at all. I wasn't gloating in the OP, not one bit, and the only curiosities I have are usage statistics and how quickly such an active message board could become relatively inactive in such a short period of time. I was shocked at the dramatic decrease in traffic when I took a quick sampling of posts.

I also don't think any poster here is acting the same way as your quoted example. No one is stalking. No one is looking longingly at the Straight Dope. This thread is about usage statistics and nothing more.

Give it a rest, OK? If you're not interested in the subject, there are a few thousand other threads here that may be worth your time. This one obviously isn't.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Give it a rest? Have I been in here harping on you? I posted once to agree with a point someone had made and then again to clarify my position. Shatner help me, I must do something about this obsession.

I will leave you to your pleasures.

+ Reply to thread