Apr 2009

Default Re: Beer, glorious beer!

Leinenkugel's Creamy Dark or a Heineken
    Boldly going nowhere.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Carl Corey
    Undercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale? Oh man, I 'd love to try that.
    It's back in season! I had a couple pints of it this weekend, with pizza. This pizza place has fewer than twenty taps, but they always have at least a couple of world-class beers. Right now, along with U.I.S.D., they have Old Rasputin and Pliny the Elder. The last time I went there, they had Double Dead Guy. (A pint of that while you wait for a take-out pizza is enough to make you nervous driving home...)

Registered
    Mar 2009

Is it too late to post in a Beer Snob thread?

My favorite, and I am the epitome of what a Beer Snob is not, is Trader Joe's Frugal Beer.

6 pack for $4. Schweeeet!

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I had to grab some beer last night from a grocery store that was really not well stocked at all.

Their "Beer & Wine" section was about 80% wine, and what did they do with all that space? Filled it up with Arbor Mist, Gallo and Sutter Home. Lame.

The one thing in their favor was that all of their beer was in a cold relatively dark beer cooler, and looked to have been stored that way from the time it came in. Nice touch, especially for imports which are often susceptible to skunkhood. I made off with a sixer of Fat Tire and one of Pilsner Urquell. The Pils went super nicely with some burgers from the Beck's Prime drive-through.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Am I the only person in the country who doesn't like Fat Tire? I feel that way sometimes. I can't stand the stuff.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by silenus
    Am I the only person in the country who doesn't like Fat Tire? I feel that way sometimes. I can't stand the stuff.
    I can definitely stand it. It's one of the least interesting and satisfying well-known craft brews (unlike say, Sierra Nevada, which richly deserves its reputation), and it needs some hops in the worst way, but I still find it several wide notches above BMC, Heineken or Shiner. It's also a pretty decent food beer. *burp*
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'll give you the first two. But I actually like Shiner. It's a good food beer, I've found, and the wife will drink it instead of Bud Light if she has to, so that cuts down on my dealings with A-B.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by silenus
    I'll drink it, but that cereal-malt backbone that all the New Belium beers have really puts me off. It tastes like beer that's been filtered through a bowl of Wheaties.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Exactly! I couldn't put my finger on how to describe the taste, but you nailed it!

In celebration of the arrival of May, I'm going to pick up a six-pack of Buffalo Bill's Orange Blossom ale on the way home from work. Just the thing for a Spring weekend.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

+ Reply to thread