+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My husband is dying

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default My husband is dying

My husband, RickQ on the dope, is dying. He was diagnosed with renal cell cancer on 1/1/09. He had surgery 2 weeks later. The oncologists had hope at first, but his cancer, a rare subtype, is like a forest fire out of control. He has no appetite, has pain (which is controlled, thank goodness), and in the newest development, has fluid in his lungs and has difficulty breathing. His doctor told me today that he may not survive his current hospitalization, or may live several months. The plan is to drain the fluid from his lungs later today.

I need to talk about this, but Rick isn't ready, plus he is really, really medicated this morning. They suspect his liver isn't metabolizing the meds and he is effectively overdosed, so they have cut back in the last few hours. I don't want him to read this, so this board is perfect.

Rick and I met on the SDMB seven years ago. We married 6 years ago and are the happiest couple I know. He is the sweetest man I have ever met and spoiled me rotten. We wrote our own marriage vows, and my favorite line from my vows was "Everyone should be loved like Rick loves me." He adores me, not that I deserve it, and I adore him.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: My husband is dying

Oh Brynda, I'm so sorry. And RickQ too. I recognize the name. Words fail.
    once upon a time known as cowgirl jules

Registered
    Feb 2009

Damn.

I've got nothing to say, except, I'm sorry.

To the extent that posting here can help you with this in any small way, we're here.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Brynda,

My heart is breaking for you both. Keep talking, either here or in a face-to-face group, or on a different online board or through emails or pms.

I'm so sorry. I can't offer anything but my experience (short though it is) and my empathy, but those are yours to whatever degree you can use them.

Julie

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh. I'm so, so sorry.

This really is heartbreaking and I'm sending every single good vibe in my being to you, to help you bear this.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Mar 2009

I remember Rick from SD, enough that I have the impression of him as a nice guy. I am so sorry you guys are having to deal with this, it's not fair and it sucks and it's likely scary as hell, too. You're both in my thoughts.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm so very sorry to hear that. What a beautiful sentiment to include in your vows.

We're here, vent away, and please let us know if there's anything we can do to help.
    Science flies you to the moon; religion flies you into buildings.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I am so sorry. I will keep the both of you in my thoughts, and hope that whatever healing of any kind may come.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Aw cripes. I'm so sorry. I saw the thread earlier this year and everything seemed fairly hopeful. I don't know what to say.
    The poster formerly known as Jenaroph

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm so sorry.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I remember your relationship...I think because it's so similiar to mine (my name is also Brenda, my husband from the UK, and we met online). I'm so sorry to hear about this. Please know that you both are in my thoughts.
    amrussell on SDMB

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm sad to hear this.
    'Never say "no" to adventure. Always say "yes". Otherwise you'll lead a very dull life.' -- Commander Caractacus Pott, R.N. (Retired)

Winner of the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize GingerOfTheNorth's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm so sorry to hear it. Let me know if there is anything we can do for you.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Mammuthus primigenius eleanorigby's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I am so sorry. Is there a hospital chaplain who can help you talk to Rick about all this? The chaplain should not push any kind of faith or religion, s/he is usually the one who deals with end of life issues for inpatients. Thinking of you and Rick.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm so sorry you both have to go through this. Please use us as a resource as much as you can.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I am so, so sorry. I don't know anything else to say.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I am so sorry to hear this. If I remember correctly, you're in Southern California? If you need anything, please let me know.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Kyrie.

I remember (as, at a glance, do more than a few people here) before y'all were married.

Peace and strength.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I have no words for this. My thoughts are with you in this time.
    I reserve the right to be bothered by things that don't faze you,
    and to cheerfully ignore things that bug the shit out of you.
    I am not you.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Thanks. This is unbelievably hard. I appreciate all the kindness. We are in TN, btw. thanks for the offer of help, though.

His family is coming from the UK on Friday, instead of a month from now. When I told him, he just said it would be good to see them, then asked a few minutes later if I had told them of "recent developments." I said I had, and he said he was frustrated to be regressing. That was all. I wish I knew exactly how much he knows.

I am so tired. I am staying at the hospital with him until 10 or 11PM then coming back at 6:30 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I am so sorry. What a dreadful thing.
    This message brought to you by NinetyWt, the Queen of Lubricants™.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm very sorry, and I'll be thinking of you.

Joe

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Brynda, I am so sorry. You are both in my thoughts.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth - Marcus Aurelius

Registered
    Mar 2009

That's terrible. I am so sorry for what you are both going through.

Do you have access to a counselor? Maybe through an EAP?
    I'm a '99er! I demand elite status!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday
    Damn.

I've got nothing to say, except, I'm sorry.

To the extent that posting here can help you with this in any small way, we're here.
    Me too.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth - Marcus Aurelius

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh, Brynda. I'm sad to hear this. We are here for you sweetie.
    This message brought to you by NinetyWt, the Queen of Lubricants™.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Too add to my previous post, my deepest sympathy.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I am so sorry you have to go through this. My thoughts are with you and Rick.
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Brynda, one important thing to do is remember to eat well. I know you don't feel like it but right now your body is requiring even more nutrients than usual with all the stress. By staying healthy, you help Rick as well as yourself. And as difficult or impossible as it probably is, adequate sleep is also essential. These are things you know, but in times of crisis these are things we forget or eschew in favour of going full-steam ahead.

You and Rick are in my thoughts. And again, I beg you to take care of yourself, for both your sakes.

Registered
    Mar 2009

There are times when words feel so damn insufficient.

I am not that good at praying, but please accept my wishes for less pain, peace of mind and comfort for all who are touched.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Brynda, you don't know me, but I am wishing you well, and wishing you and Rick strength.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm so saddened to hear this. Virtual hugs going out to both of you.
    Open the airlocks and jettison the penguins!

Registered
    Mar 2009

This is so sad. Please tell us the story of how you two met.

Registered
    Mar 2009

They just took him to drain the fluid on his lungs. It was agonizing to watch him struggle to breathe. His chest was heaving, even when he was asleep.

We met on the dope, in a thread for people who didn't get flirted with. I flirted with him, he flirted back. Then he emailed me and I found out he was younger than I am. I tried to convince him to find a nice British girl. He called, we started IMing for hours, and within days we were both hooked. I went to meet him in the UK a few months later and we had a wonderful time. We married a year and several visits later. I had given up on ever marrying--I was 42 when we married. But somehow, against all odds, I won the lottery when I married Rick. Everyone teased us about how much he spoiled me.

We see a psychologist who works for our oncologist. She is a friend (I am a psychologist, too) and she has been great. This is just so hard. I keep crying. It is all happening so fast. Rick seemed healthy only a few months ago, and now he looks terrible--pale, weak, breaking out in cold sweats. He has lost 60 pounds in 3 months. I thought I had an idea about what this might be like. I was wrong.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm so sorry. Take care of yourself.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Six years is not enough, especially with a story like that.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen RickQ's name and mistook it for Rico's.

Strength to you.
    'Never say "no" to adventure. Always say "yes". Otherwise you'll lead a very dull life.' -- Commander Caractacus Pott, R.N. (Retired)

Registered
    Mar 2009

Brynda, I'm so sorry. I hope you find the support of your loved ones throughout this difficult time. Don't forget to take care of you.
    An olivesmarch4th has-been.

XJETGIRLX

Oh lord, I'm so sorry to hear that Brynda! And I agree, 6 years isn't enough. There's never enough time to spend with those we love.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm so sorry. You two are in my thoughts.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

There's nothing I can say to help but please know how sorry I am. I remember RickQ from the Dope too.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I am so sorry. My thoughts are with you both.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Is Rick resting any easier after the procedure, Brynda?

Registered
    Mar 2009

They couldn't drain the fluid from his lungs today. He was in too much pain to sit still, and they can't administer pain meds in the ultrasound area, as there are no nurses to monitor the patient. I was pissed, and marched down to talk with the radiologist, as now it has to wait until tomorrow. He was able to explain it to me, and although I think the hospital policy of not having nurses there sucks, I understand that it has to wait, as it is too dangerous to do at night, with reduced staff. The really frustrating part is that the nurse (and I) decided to cut back on his meds today because he was so out of it. He wasn't in much pain lying still, but having to sit up was too much for him.

I am trying to take care of myself. I know I need to. I just wish I could take better care of him.

Ok, maybe you guys can help me forgive my sister. When he was diagnosed, she said she would do anything she could, and has helped more with our mother, which I appreciate. When Rick was hospitalized following his surgery, his mother was here from the UK. I am self-employed, so I was taking her to the hospital (a 25 mile trip), visiting with Rick, then going to work, then going back to the hospital in the later afternoon/evening. My sister knew this. One day, my MIL was going to have to leave with me at 2:00 when I went to work 3:00-7:00, or stay at the hospital until 8PM after getting there with me at 7 AM to see the MD. My sister called to say she was coming to visit that day. I asked if she could come about 5 or 6, explained the situation, and said that if she came then, she could give my MIL a ride home (it is on her way). She refused, saying "We (she and husband) are morning people." Well, I said, I really need the help. Nope. "We are morning people" again. Okay. I was pissed. The next day at the hospital, I told her I was mad and why. She said "I am sorry if I hurt your feelings" I explained that if she couldn't do it, that was one thing, but preferring not to--totally different. Anyway, that was a month ago and I can't forgive her selfish ass. I wish I could, though. Any suggestions?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I am so terribly sorry...

If you need anything from a stranger in Virginia, ask...

Registered
    Mar 2009

Brynda I am sorry to hear the news about your husband. It can be difficult to feel so utterly helpless. I am not making excuses for your sister but I have seen many people behave in atypical ways under circumstances such as yours. What she did was very hurtful and I am glad that you confronted her. However, you don't need to be harbouring this anger on top of all the other things you are dealing with now. I think your anger can take away from the precious time you have left with your husband. So if possible try to shelve it for later. I know easier said than done. I will be thinking of you, and as many others have already said please make sure you take care of yourself also.
    The details of my life and how I'm trying to improve it: Donkey In A White Coat
    If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then stop, there's no point in making a fool of yourself - W. C. Fields

Registered
    Mar 2009

Just adding another voice to the chorus of sympathy and good thoughts, and wishing you peace and strength.

Registered
    Mar 2009

So sorry to hear this. You and Rick will be in my thoughts.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm so sorry to hear this. You have my sympathies and thoughts.

Quote Originally posted by Fiveroptic
    Brynda, one important thing to do is remember to eat well. I know you don't feel like it but right now your body is requiring even more nutrients than usual with all the stress. By staying healthy, you help Rick as well as yourself. And as difficult or impossible as it probably is, adequate sleep is also essential. These are things you know, but in times of crisis these are things we forget or eschew in favour of going full-steam ahead.

You and Rick are in my thoughts. And again, I beg you to take care of yourself, for both your sakes.
    Let me add my voice to this advice: You don't want to make yourself so sick you can't be with Rick.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Missed the edit window:

I just saw your post about your sister's behavior.

I know in my own experiences with dealing with helplessness in medical crises for a loved one, it can become very appealing to let all one's anger focus on the one thing that has happened that one can say one has a legitimate complaint for, instead of trying to deal with being angry at nature or God, or whomever else you wish you could blame. ("Sadie Johnson, back in the third grade, laid a curse on me and laughed about it, the bitch! This is all her fault, and if I could get her now...")

I'm not sure I can help you forgive your sister, but you might want to see whether you're letting that be a focus for all the ire you can't put anywhere else. If you are letting her transgression be a magnet for all the other anger you're feeling, that would make forgiving her even harder.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I am so sorry, Brynda. I remember you and Rick from the SDMB - really nice folks.

You both will be in my thoughts.

+ Reply to thread