+ Reply to thread

Thread: Second Life and the Real World

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Second Life and the Real World

An old friend got in touch with me last week, and we spent several hours last night getting caught up.

He mentioned something about Second Life. I know it's been around awhile, and I had a vague idea of what it is and what it's about, but I didn't have any particulars. I've since looked into it a little bit and if I'm understanding this correctly, it's basically a virtual world apart from the real, physical one. It's got an economy and interpersonal relationships. There have also been real-world divorces precipitated because of Second Life relationships. I found some articles about some couples who filed, but the stories originated in the Fleet Street press, so I'm inclined to take them with a grain of salt.

So this is what I'm wondering. Is a marriage entered into on Second Life (or any other virtual environment) as legally binding as one entered into in the real world? Should a SL marriage be considered bigamy if one or both of the participants are already married? Is an affair conducted entirely on SL adultery?

I'd like to point out that I have no interest whatsoever in SL. I've got too much going on right now as it is to spend even more time online. I just started thinking about this stuff and thought a little debate might help sort this out.
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Second Life and the Real World

I don't see how it could be considered a marriage in any legally realistic sense. Under what state's law would you record the marriage? SL might have some sort of "marriage registry" but it wouldn't be legally binding in any real court.

I would think the only sticking point would be common-law marriage... i.e. if you go around introducing yourself publicly as man and wife. IANAL but I think that again would be weak unless it were substantiated by things like owning property together, living together, paying bills together, having kids together... but once you've reached that point, Second Life is pretty much just a footnote.

Think of it as a chat room with pictures. If you get married in a chat room are you married in real life? I don't think so.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Legally no it's not marriage or adultery. Emotionally it is a breach of trust.

It will be interesting to see how our laws evolve. To cover not just personal relationships, but fraud, slander and who knows what else. Especially in international forums.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Registered
    Mar 2009

No, of course, legally, it's nothing.

My real-life wife would disagree if I were canoodling on SL.

Joe

+ Reply to thread