+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sterilizing glass for preserving: boiling vs. bleach?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Sterilizing glass for preserving: boiling vs. bleach?

I've done a lot of canning in the past couple of years -- jams & jellies, pickles, hot sauce, that sort of thing. I've recently been trying my hand at brewing beer, too.

When I've made preserves or pickles, I've always boiled the jars to sterilize them. When bottling beer or hot sauce, though, my husband has been soaking the bottles in a bleach solution, rinsing them thoroughly, and then using them. There's never been a problem with this, but I am curious about the relative safety of each approach.

Is boiling better or the same as bleaching?
    I'm a '99er! I demand elite status!

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Sterilizing glass for preserving: boiling vs. bleach?

When you are preparing' your equipment for home brewing, you don't 'sterilize'; you 'sanitize'. Now, whether there is an actual difference between the two processes, or whether it's just a matter semantics, is open to debate. There is one difference in the 'level of cleanliness' required between canning and brewing, though. With canned goods,if you have 'bad microorganisms' left over after the process, they might very well multiply and kill you. With brewing, anything left over will may render the finished product undrinkable by imparting off flavors, but they won't hurt you because they are killed by the alcohol created by the fermentation process.

At least that's the theory. I've always sanitized by brewing equipment with a bleach solution, and I still haven't died once.

Winner of the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize GingerOfTheNorth's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I run mine through the dishwasher and leave them in there until I need to use them. In order to make doubly sure there's no bad anything living in them, I invert them in about an inch or two of boiling water, and allow the insides to steam for a couple of minutes.

I learned how to do this from my mom, who learned from her mother (not the dishwasher part). I have only once ever had anything go bad, and that was due to an improper seal.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Registered
    Mar 2009

OK, thanks guys. We don't have a dishwasher (old house, teensy kitchen) so I don't have that option -- can't wait until I do! The info about sanitizing the brewing stuff makes sense. Thanks again.
    I'm a '99er! I demand elite status!

Registered
    Mar 2009

You're better off not using a dishwasher, as they generally do not get anywhere near hot enough. IIRC, home dishwashers only get to around 180F. Boiling will get the temperature to 212F, which is sufficient sanitation for high acid foods. Low acid foods require sterilization at 250F and 15psi, but I just boil the jars for 10 minutes for that too, as boiling reduces the biological load well enough that the pressure canning cycle will be able to kill off any remaining bugs.

I've used bleach before, but the problem is you're rinsing it off. If you're on city water, you're probably fine, as it's got so much chlorine in it that it's likely sterile. If you're on a well, you may just be re-introducing bacteria with the rinse.

The difference between sterilizing and sanitizing is critical with canning because of a particularly nasty bug called Clostridium botulinum. It's a spore former, and the spores will quite easily survive boiling. It's also anaerobic, so it'll grow in the can, and can produce enough botulism toxin to kill you way before there are any off odors, gas production, discoloration, etc. that would indicate that the food is spoiled. It's safe to use the boiling water canning method with high acid food, as the acid will keep Clostridium and other nasties in check. Low acid foods perssure canned at 250F and 15psi for 15 minutes (starting when the food reaches temp, not when the canner reaches temp) are completely sterile. Tomatos used to be considered high acid, but have been bred for more sweetness, so you should add acid or pressure can them.

Preserves have enough sugar to retard anything but mold, and the mold requires O2, so they won't spoil until opened. Pickles are high acid, so they're fine in a boiling water canner. Beer can be spoiled by unwanted microorganisms, but you will not be able to drink it. I suspect hot sauce has a lot of vinegar in it, and spices like hot peppers and garlic have antibacterial properties.

I'd recccomend the Ball Blue Book of Preserving and Putting Food By, as both of these have tried and true recipes that have been evaluated for safety. Both of these books use sterilize and sanitize interchangably, but other than that they're great.

BB Rodriguez - Microbiology lab rat and home canner
    BB Rodriguez, formerly known as masterofnone

+ Reply to thread