+ Reply to thread

Thread: fuel injector service at the garage

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default fuel injector service at the garage

I took the Grey Ghost (99 Buick Park Avenue 110,000 mi) in for an oil change and the mechanic said the injectors were "a little dirty". So, two questions- What is the diagnostic tool? And is this worth $65? In the past I have put a can of Techron fuel injector cleaner into a full tank and ran the car for 200 miles or so at freeway speed and this seems to work, as the car has a smooth idle and very good gas mileage after the treatment. What say you all?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: fuel injector service at the garage

I would go with the Techron. I'm skeptical of this diagnosis, partly because friends have been told they need this service when it's clear there's no way anyone removed the injectors and analyzed the spray pattern and volume. I think the official treatment is just a can of Techron-like stuff anyway.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I agree with the Techron or some other treatment rather than a mechanic selling you a service without having actually examined the injectors. Why would he have anything to do with the injectors while doing an oil change?
    Vintage Wrench Collector Tool Talk
    Photographer My Flickr
    PapawsImages
    Brazoria County Forum

Registered
    Mar 2009

Thanks, I can buy a lot of F I cleaner for that kind of money.

Registered
    Mar 2009

There are times when plugged injectors can be diagnosed without removal from the engine.
    Symptoms like
    -Hard starting
    -Stalling right after start up
    -Rough idle
    -high hydrocarbons
    Can be a result of poor injector performance.
    Injectors now are a lot less prone to plugging and poor performance than they were say 20-25 years ago.
    IMHO, injector services are way over sold, while they are still sometimes necessary, not to the amount that some shops sell them.
    You taught me language; and my profit on't
    Is, I know how to curse: the red plague rid you
    For learning me your language!

Caliban, from William Shakespeare'sThe Tempest {Act 1, Scene 2}

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

"A little dirty"?

How can a mechanic tell that?

Techron is good stuff. Of course, so is just running BP premium gas for a few tanks.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Good to see you, Rick. The car passed CA smog like a new engine and starts perfectly, runs smoothly, and has no other issues. (Except looking like the second car in a funeral cortege.) Oliveloaf, I agree with you on the premium fuel, but I'm the queen of cheap, so every other oil change it's the Techron. Premium gas here is currently 2.35-2.45 per gal., about a 20 cent /gal premium over regular.

+ Reply to thread