+ Reply to thread

Thread: Daylight saving time is stupid

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Daylight saving time is stupid

I have never heard a good argument for DST, and I don't expect to, but I'd be happy to be surprised.

Surprise me! Defend this ridiculous practice! Make me not hate it with all the fairly feeble hatred I can summon!

Is DST a good idea now? Was it ever? Will it always be/not be?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Daylight saving time is stupid

Doesn't it have something to do with farmers? Seems I recall that from some point. Anyway, I agree with you in theory, but the extra daylight I seem to get from it is fine. If they do away with it, I hope it's the fall back bullshit. I like waking up and coming home from work while the sun is still shining. Makes you feel kind of human.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Now that we record all our TV so we can skip the commercials, I don't get antsy at 7 PM when I'm still outside in the sun.

I am also retired so I really not only don't care about the time, I don't care what day it is either...
    No job is too hard for the person who does not have to do it.

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Indeed, I would prefer if we had Daylight Savings Time all the time and didn't do away with it in the winter. It heartily sucks to walk out into pitch blackness when I get off work at 5:00. Not only is it a safety issue, it also pings my SAD like mad.

The only reason I have ever heard for needing the extra hour of daylight in the morning instead of the evening is so kids don't have to wait for the schoolbus in the dark. I was never really swayed by that argument.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Myrnalene
    Indeed, I would prefer if we had Daylight Savings Time all the time and didn't do away with it in the winter. It heartily sucks to walk out into pitch blackness when I get off work at 5:00. Not only is it a safety issue, it also pings my SAD like mad.

The only reason I have ever heard for needing the extra hour of daylight in the morning instead of the evening is so kids don't have to wait for the schoolbus in the dark. I was never really swayed by that argument.
    Especially since--speaking from personal experience--it's not even light out yet then anyway.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun
    Doesn't it have something to do with farmers?

I used to work for a dairy farm (well, milk delivery, not actually with the animals) and I've never understood this rationale. They started milking and such at 3am all year round so wouldn't working in sunlight be better? I hated DST being three weeks earlier. The sun rising as late in March as it does on December 21st just feels wrong! But despite that I'm with people suggesting if it's done away with, then just keep summer time all year round. After all, more of the population benefits from the sun setting at 8:30 in June-July (here, at least) rather than it rising at 4am.
    Taumpy: Oh noes, you aren't a super powerful wave of destruction.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

Obeah Man, Mischief Maker, Lord of Bees Skald the Rhymer's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Julie, I'm sorry to chastise you, but when discussing Daylight Savings Time, accepted usage is to say ridiculously stupd. Or perhaps insanely stupid. A modifier is necessary for clarity of expression.
    "Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon." (Chesterton)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Skald the Rhymer
    Julie, I'm sorry to chastise you, but when discussing Daylight Savings Time, accepted usage is to say ridiculously stupd. Or perhaps insanely stupid. A modifier is necessary for clarity of expression.
    I said it was a ridiculous practice. Isn't anything I do good enough for you?

Registered
    Mar 2009

I agree about a thousand percent. Daylight before I go to work does me no good. Daylight after I'm off is a lifesaver. I've tried making the change to my own schedule instead, but it doesn't matter how early I got to work, or how many extra hours I put in, people will still grumble when I get up to go home at 4pm.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'd happily continue in DST forever. Or not. But this shilly-shallying is bad for my constitution. Pick a timezone and stick with it! Grr.

Dammit, this makes me think fondly of when I was in Indiana, and that's simply unacceptable!

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Julie
    Dammit, this makes me think fondly of when I was in Indiana, and that's simply unacceptable!
    Aww, I'm from Indiana and when I was there I thought one of the perks was that we just flat out ignored Daylight Savings Time. None of this screwing about with clocks, we just watched our shows an hour earlier or later depending on the season.

They are on DST now, poor buggers, after arguing about it for years.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Skald the Rhymer
    I said it was a ridiculous practice. Isn't anything I do good enough for you?

You're only complaining because you think that doing so will make me teleport you something chocolatey in expensive. This is not true, I am not so easily manipulated, and I was going to 'port you a chocolate cheesecake anyway.
    "Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon." (Chesterton)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Aww, I'm from Indiana and when I was there I thought one of the perks was that we just flat out ignored Daylight Savings Time. None of this screwing about with clocks, we just watched our shows an hour earlier or later depending on the season.

I loved that about Indiana. Now I just feel all depressed that they are trapped like the rest of us.

Skald, chocolate cheesecake? CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE?

If I say it's ridiculously, insanely stupid, will there be chocolate shavings and whipped cream? Omigod, say yes.

Registered
    Mar 2009

They don't do it here in Japan. Lots of things here are dumb, but not that. Isn't there some state, maybe Nevada, that also ignores DST?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Arizona. Also Hawaii.
    I believe it was Barry Goldwater who said "We don't need any more damn sunlight".
    It is kind of annoying to figure out what time it is for everyone else in the US, though.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun

Doesn't it have something to do with farmers? Seems I recall that from some point. Anyway, I agree with you in theory, but the extra daylight I seem to get from it is fine. If they do away with it, I hope it's the fall back bullshit. I like waking up and coming home from work while the sun is still shining. Makes you feel kind of human.
    DST seems to have been started by Benjamin Franklin and it would appear that farmer's actually hate it.
    . . .

It all started with early-to-bed, early-to-rise (very) wise guy Benjamin Franklin, who thought the time change was an easy way not only to save energy but to keep lazy colonists from wasting the day. DST was utilized during both World Wars to conserve fuel but wasn't officially made law until the Uniform Time Act of 1966, with small adjustments made in the ’70s and ’80s, according to Bob Aldrich, webmaster and DST expert at the California Energy Commission.

Although it is observed in most U.S. states and over 70 countries around the world, DST can be pretty unpopular, especially with farmers, Aldrich says. But one thing’s for sure: It does save energy, which, in times of rising oil prices and energy costs, can only be a good thing.

The California Energy Commission has done extensive studies on the effects and energy savings of DST in the Golden State. In 2001, a report by Adrienne Kandel and Daryl Metz determined that having year-round DST (one hour ahead of Greenwich Mean Time in the winter and two hours ahead in the summer) would reduce electricity use by 1100 MW in the winter and 220 MW in the summer.

. . .

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/s ... 00554.html
    As for the whole kids and school buses thing, I remember when I was a kid living in Missouri and they tried staying on DST year round. It didn't last very long because parents were not happy at all that kids were walking to bus stops in the dark. With school letting out at 3:00PM, there was little danger of kids walking around in the dark after school.
    AKA Shayna from SD

Mammuthus primigenius eleanorigby's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

But we did go to all year round DST at some point in the Nixon admin-- I remember doing so, anyways. And which is it? Is NOW DST or did we just come off it? I can never remember. Whichever, whatever, it IS stupid. I hate it being even earlier. And how come our electronic clock that is supposedly tied some way to the Atomic Clock in CO still an hour behind? It will change in about a week or so, if it follows last year's pattern. Makes no sense to me....

Someone just wrote a book about DST and was interviewed on NPR (WBEZ). He said that when it was first introduced, it was up to individual towns to decide if they wanted to go on it. A 35 mile bus trip through some mid-Atlantic state (have forgotten which one) made you change your watch something like 7 times or maybe it was 17--some ridiculous number. Insanity.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I hate it absolutely, and for those of you in the U.S, it must make even less sense. Here, for instance, I can see that what might suit someone in Devon is not necessarily going to suit a farmer in Aberdeenshire, but in the U.S., surely the distances are so much greater that there are even more people to get upset.

If we MUST have the blasted thing, why not at least pin it to semi-memorable dates? As in, if we really must have this annoying game twice a year, why not fix it to the vernal equinox and the autumn equinox, dates that we all have some chance of remembering?

Grrrrrrrrrfulness. :evil:
    This message brought to you by NinetyWt, the Queen of Lubricants™.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by eleanorigby
    ... And how come our electronic clock that is supposedly tied some way to the Atomic Clock in CO still an hour behind? It will change in about a week or so, if it follows last year's pattern. Makes no sense to me....
    Haha, I had a clock like that. I imagined that it ought to sort itself out with its high magic science. Did it hell. Actually, that very same clock I have just given to my parents and that will surely be a good help in dealing with my Alzheimery mother. Pushing buttons on it does not help much, but merely gets it to change languages, and while I can cope with Wednesday being "Mi" or (after another attempt) we have changed languages and Thursday is "Je", I don't think this will amuse the old folks very much. I *still* do not know why it refused to pick up the right time from its oh-so-clever radio whatsit. I cheated - took batteries out, slapped it on the head and then allowed it to have a battery again but only if it promised to behave nicely.
    This message brought to you by NinetyWt, the Queen of Lubricants™.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I was home alone the last time this wonder clock decided it was time for a Change. Scared the hell out of me, because it doesn't do it quietly. I heard a noise in the kitchen and couldn't locate it at first. Weird.

I dunno if mine can change languages--mine doesn't talk at all (thank god. I can think of few things that would make me more homicidal than a talking clock).

Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't think DST is stupid, but 5:30 came very early this morning. usually I'm up before the alarm, but not today. Even the cats were startled by the earliness of the alarm.

Maybe by April I'll be used to it.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

I walk to meet my carpool driver every morning. I leave the house at about 7:15 and it was DARK.

I hate DST!
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't see the problem. It saves energy and you get an extra hour of light in the evening. The only downside is a mild case of jet lag during adjustment.

I've never understood the complaints. I can't think of a better way to compensate for the varying amount of daylight in winter and summer.

Registered
    Mar 2009

How does it save energy? Or rather, how does it save energy in a way that merely adjusting our personal schedules would not accomplish? Why are people such slaves to the clock in the 21st century?

Turning off our computers for four hours a day would also save energy, as would manadtory bicycling to work for all but the disabled.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Jill
    As for the whole kids and school buses thing, I remember when I was a kid living in Missouri and they tried staying on DST year round. It didn't last very long because parents were not happy at all that kids were walking to bus stops in the dark. With school letting out at 3:00PM, there was little danger of kids walking around in the dark after school.
    Kids don't wait outside alone for the bus. They wait in the house for the bus to stop right in front of it before they go outside, or they wait in Mommy or Daddy's SUV at the bus stop with 20 other SUVs waiting for the bus to show up so that they can all get out of the SUVs and get on the bus.

I've seen them do the congregation of SUVs and Minivans on the street where my parents live. It's a cul-de-sac with six houses. The bus stops at the non-closed end. The kids are all driven to that end by their parents (three of the houses have school-age kids in them) and that's how they wait for the bus. Dark? Light? Doesn't matter because they are never outside waiting for the bus alone.

Of course when there is no school, they're outside all day causing havoc everywhere completely alone. And they do the same after school. The kids are picked up at the bus stop and driven the 1/8 mile home. Then they're outside in the dark alone until 10 or so at night. The 'walking to the bus stop in the dark' argument is so much bullshit it can be smelled from outer space.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Dr. Drake
    How does it save energy? Or rather, how does it save energy in a way that merely adjusting our personal schedules would not accomplish? Why are people such slaves to the clock in the 21st century?

Turning off our computers for four hours a day would also save energy, as would manadtory bicycling to work for all but the disabled.
    Well, it doesn't but I think it's easier to get people to change their schedules by adjusting the clock rather than by announcing "Everybody's got to get up an hour earlier."

Anyway, we're slaves to the clock because that's how things are organized, going back a lot further than the twenty-first century. If you boss tells you he needs you in by nine, you can't very well reply "no way, man, I'm not the clock's slave."

XJETGIRLX

I disagree with all of the DST fanboys. Why on earth would I want more light in the evening, when I'm already home? I need that light in the morning, to help me wake up and so that I can see to drive in to work. Evenings are for dinner and snuggling on the couch with my husband, both of which are better in the dark.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Why do we have to change at all? HOW does it save energy? I must know this. Answer me! :evil:

Just wanted to use that emoticon. 8-)

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by XJETGIRLX
    I disagree with all of the DST fanboys. Why on earth would I want more light in the evening, when I'm already home? I need that light in the morning, to help me wake up and so that I can see to drive in to work. Evenings are for dinner and snuggling on the couch with my husband, both of which are better in the dark.
    Amen, my thoughts exactly. Perhaps it's all a vicious plot by the caffeinemongers?

Registered
    Feb 2009

I do agree that this is way to early to start. Some days I have to be out of the house by 7:00 and I don't like it being Dark. They should wait till the end of March. I do like daylight till 8:00 though. BTW I think I'm the only "fanboy" in this thread. I do like DST in the Summer though.

As to how it saves energy, I don't know. I haven't personally researched the matter. Maybe it's all a plot by Big Sunshine.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I have headlights for the drive to work, but this week we can practice on our real pitch with real sunlight, instead of having to practice on artificial turf under the lights. Playing rugby on artificial turf is just no fun. I also don't want to snuggle with your husband in the light, in the dark, on the couch, or anywhere else. So that point is moot.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Okay, let me try a third time to post.

Daylight Saving Time. There's no such thing as "Daylight Savings Time", but if there were, it'd be stupid, at least in my (probably stupid) book. Or at least highly debatable.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm really pretty irritated with DST right now. I have two little kids whose body clocks are all screwed up...they can't fall asleep at bedtime, and they can't get up in the morning because it's pitch dark outside. Arrrgh. :evil:

MisterDiskord

The "energy saving" theory seems to be as follows: Assuming that one is awake until, let's say 10PM on a typical night. Now as of last week, pre-DST, the sun would've set around 6PM where I am. That means 4 hours or so of needing additional lights on, possibly more heat at least until summer ends, etc.

Now that we're on DST, it doesn't get dark until 7, so the lights go on later and for a shorter period of time. The temperature though seems to be a stickier wicket, because the majority of the DST period is in the summer, so more sun = more heat = possibly more A/C, fans or the like.

In short, we're basically assuming that "people being awake when it's dark" consumes more power than "people being awake when it's light" and attempting to shift things around so that we're in the latter case for a larger portion of the day, and sleeping during more of the dark time.

Personally I still think it's a crock, but as I iunderstand it that's the argument.

XJETGIRLX

I posted this in my DST Thunderdome thread, but a recent study found that extending DST does not save energy. They studied consumption data from when Australia extended DST to host the Olympic Games in Sydney. From the article abstract:

"Using detailed panel data on half-hourly electricity consumption, prices, and weather conditions, we show that the extension failed to reduce electricity demand. We further examine prior DST studies and find that the most sophisticated simulation model available in the literature significantly overstates electricity savings when it is applied to the Australian data. These results suggest that current plans and proposals to extend DST will fail to conserve energy."

Registered
    Mar 2009

I loved that about Indiana. Now I just feel all depressed that they are trapped like the rest of us.

Skald, chocolate cheesecake? CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE?

If I say it's ridiculously, insanely stupid, will there be chocolate shavings and whipped cream? Omigod, say yes.

Whipped cream is disgusting. I'll only provide the cake and chocolate shavings; you can add your vile whipped cream yourself.

:: hitting teleport button with a shudder ::

Registered
    Mar 2009

I live in Indiana, although I'm a new resident so I don't get what all the time arguing was about. We're so far over in the eastern time zone that now with DST the sun doesn't come up until after 8am.
    Boldly going nowhere.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm another vote for "summer time all the time." Yeah, it's nice to have light in the morning. But it's even better to have it in the evening when I'm not busy brushing my teeth or hustling over to work. I absolutely hate the depths of winter when it's dark before I even finish work.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Dr. Drake

Turning off our computers for four hours a day would also save energy, as would mandatory bicycling to work for all but the disabled.
    Communism!

I don't have a problem with DST other than they never tell you about it until like the night before. I don't wake up from my zombie-like state until around tennish. Of course, I'm usually on the roads early anyway. I like the extra hour of daylight. Especially for the parks, fishing, etc.
    "Klaatu barada nikto extra cheese."

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Speaking selfishly, I dislike the spring change because I prefer to head to work with the sun up (feels invigorating) and head home with the sun down, or going down (feels relaxing).
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't mind it. But I hate that it is implemented on Saturday night. Why not Friday night? It doesn't affect a workday (for most) and then you have two days to let your body adjust instead of the dreaded one.

+ Reply to thread