+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why do old sculptures have such small penises?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Why do old sculptures have such small penises?

The picture association game thread has a photo of Michaelangelo's David in it. It's not too hard to notice that the guy isn't particularly well-endowed. I've also noticed that many classical sculptures, both Greek and Roman, are also ill-equipped. Why is this the case?
    Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur
    D'une langueur Monotone

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Why do old sculptures have such small penises?

Men in olden times were growers, not showers.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Also, keep in mind that the guy's been naked for the last 500 years. I'm sure he's cold.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

No real idea, although I've seen it said (heard it written?) that the underwhelming junk on statues is evidence that they found a small penis and testicles to be the male ideal. Some go so far as to link the small penises on Greek art with the sex-with-young-boys hobby that some of the Greek city states apparently accepted and even embraced.

So - why do old sculptures have such small penises? Why do old paintings feature fat nekkid chicks? Or skinny nekkid chicks? Or small breasted big bottomed girls? Why do 70's posters feature an embarrassing amount of body hair by today's standards? Because beauty ideals change.
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

In classical times, large genitalia were indicative of unbridled lust. Satyrs and the like were frequently shown with enormous junk.

A big package was considered bestial - not an attribute you would want to give to a civilized man or a god.

[I was a Classics major in college, but I'm going from memory here. I will try to dig up some sites on this when I'm not at work.]

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Shrinkage.
    Sophmoric Existentialist

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual
    In classical times, large genitalia were indicative of unbridled lust. Satyrs and the like were frequently shown with enormous junk.

A big package was considered bestial - not an attribute you would want to give to a civilized man or a god.

[I was a Classics major in college, but I'm going from memory here. I will try to dig up some sites on this when I'm not at work.]
    This is what I remember from my school days as well, though I can't recall where I read it exactly. Large genitalia was associated with being overly concerned with one's genitalia, essentially. The refined man ruled by his intellect shouldn't be barbarously endowed.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

From an artistic standpoint if David or any other of the classic nude statuary from the olden times had been done with giant wangs dangling down to their knees it would kind of shift the focal point from what was intended to "Hey, get a load of the tool on that workbench!"

It's needed to convey the realism of the work, but you don't want to to detract from the overall message either. Do you think that we'd be as enamored with Mona Lisa's smile if she were shown topless with a massive pair of double D cups?
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

In my own search for a cite for this I stumbled across an interestingly titled article: Japanese Moviegoers Will See First Male Penis On The Silver Screen.

As opposed to all the female penises out there I guess.

(The movie was Kinsey, btw.)
    The poster formerly known as Jenaroph

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun
    Do you think that we'd be as enamored with Mona Lisa's smile if she were shown topless with a massive pair of double D cups?
    Smile?

Registered
    Mar 2009

It's needed to convey the realism of the work, but you don't want to to detract from the overall message either. Do you think that we'd be as enamored with Mona Lisa's smile if she were shown topless with a massive pair of double D cups?
    I know I would.
    There are times to retreat from danger and times it must be faced head on. If you choose to face it-go boldly. Remember that no matter how strong your enemy might be, you too have power

Registered
    Feb 2009

In spite of all these facts and cites and such, I think I still like my answer better.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The more pressing question: What was David doing fighting Goliath naked?
    ????

Registered
    Feb 2009

Back when I was in my twenties, a couple of different women said I looked like Michelangelo's David when naked. I always used to think it was a compliment . . . .

ETA: artistically (as noted) the genitals shouldn't be visually distracting. Just saw Watchmen with my girlfriend, and she doesn't even recall seeing Dr. Manhattan's penis -- she was enthralled by the manly shoulders and neck.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Baldwin, are you seventeen feet tall and made of marble? Because those comments might not have had anything to do with your junk.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Borborygmi
    Baldwin, are you seventeen feet tall and made of marble? Because those comments might not have had anything to do with your junk.
    Maybe it's my weird oversized hands. (I don't really have those, but David does.) Michelangelo had these weird touches in some sculptures; he was such a master that I assume they were deliberate and meaningful: David's large hands; Jesus' distended veins in La Pieta (and Mary being so big).

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by cmyk
    The more pressing question: What was David doing fighting Goliath naked?
    Well, David killed Goliath with a couple of well-placed stones, right? That passage has always been misinterpreted.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by fachverwirrt
    Well, David killed Goliath with a couple of well-placed stones, right? That passage has always been misinterpreted.
    Goliath was...........Tea bagged to death?
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, he did go down pretty easy.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'll never read Samuel Chapter 17 the same again.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Do you think that we'd be as enamored with Mona Lisa's smile if she were shown topless with a massive pair of double D cups?
    Moana who?

Registered
    Mar 2009

You know, now that I go back and read that chapter of the Bible, I do note that David talks quite a bit about the fact that Goliath isn't circumcised. He seems a bit obsessed with the Philistine's genitals, if you ask me.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Caerie
    You know, now that I go back and read that chapter of the Bible, I do note that David talks quite a bit about the fact that Goliath isn't circumcised. He seems a bit obsessed with the Philistine's genitals, if you ask me.
    I too think something has been lost in translation. Perhaps it was David who got the tea-bagging? Goliath's height would have had David's head at just the right level.

Maybe the correct text should have read, "David grasped two stones, and began to swing on them..", and not "David grasped two stones, and placed one in his sling."?
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Mar 2009

A large penis was seen as uncouth and ungainly. There was a Greek god, Priapus who was usually depicted as deformed, lustful and VERY well endowed. He attempted to rape a nymph and was cursed with a permanent erection, which is where the condition priapism gets its name.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

This is the explanation I've always heard.

I'd just like to also point out that David is not that small -- he's certainly not outside the realm of normal. I've definitely known guys who are "growers" and who when naked and not at all aroused really are small (but have no 'shortage' of penis when they are aroused.) I'd be willing to bet there's a bigger standard deviation in the size of flaccid penises, because they really can be all over the map. The Greeks just preferred the small end of the scale.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Excalibre
    I've definitely known guys who are "growers" and who when naked and not at all aroused really are small (but have no 'shortage' of penis when they are aroused.)
    That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Excalibre
    I'd just like to also point out that David is not that small -- he's certainly not outside the realm of normal. I've definitely known guys who are "growers" and who when naked and not at all aroused really are small (but have no 'shortage' of penis when they are aroused.)
    Yes that is something that is puzzling to me. I'm like "Who care if it's small now! It doesn't follow it's gonna be small when erect!" (well, if David was alive).

A good site to view the range of the various penis size, flaccid and aroused, is this one:
    http://www.erectionphotos.com/
    (not safe for work, the link first points to a innocuous warning page)

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Malaky

A good site to view the range of the various penis size, flaccid and aroused, is this one:
    The soft/hard gallery was informational. And weird. I'd never seen a micro before. Or an inversion. Or some guy going on about how beautiful a 5 inch penis is.
    WTF did I just say?

Registered
    Feb 2009

I think the small size was intentional to was massage the egos of the average sized man and to make his spouse feel fortunate.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Baldwin
    Just saw Watchmen with my girlfriend, and she doesn't even recall seeing Dr. Manhattan's penis -- she was enthralled by the manly shoulders and neck.
    Hmmm. I saw Watchmen last night and definitely noticed it -- partially because I don't recall ever seeing an R-rated movie that showed a penis before. It was in a lot of scenes.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Malaky
    [<snip>
    That a whole lotta penises! I think that site is a great idea - there were any number of guys posting things like, "I always thought I was small, but now I see I'm average if not a bit big!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Great site Malaky.

Really interesting to read the comment there by the posters - I like the encouraging words of the person running the site.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Great thread! Lots of laugh out loud posts.

It's official, this is the thread that made me register.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Pigs in Space
    It's official, this is the thread that made me register.
    Another member! We continue to grow!

+ Reply to thread