+ Reply to thread

Thread: Used tire stores in the barrio, but not the ghetto

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Used tire stores in the barrio, but not the ghetto

A slightly politically incorrect question.

In predominantly Mexican-American neighborhoods in cities like Austin, Los Angeles and El Paso, I've found that there's literally tens of used tire stores. I mean, they're everywhere in those neighborhoods.

"They're poor neighborhoods", you might say, "and residents can't afford new tires." Maybe, but used tire stores don't seem as prevalent in poor black and white neighborhoods. Also, it seems like in lower-income Hispanic neighborhoods, used tire stores are so common it seems as if to an outsider, a typical resident would buy a set of tires every week or so.

I don't think anyone solved the mystery of the concentration of dentist's offices in poor neighborhoods. What about the concentration of used tire stores only in Hispanic neighborhods, though?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Used tire stores in the barrio, but not the ghetto

As an add-on question: Why is it only Mexican-Americans (a guess on my part, based on music and signs) drive those pick-up trucks piled 10 feet high with used tires? They work for/with the used tire stores, obviously. But where did this all start?

I tried to see if this question was answered in my copy of Ask A Mexican*, but it wasn't.

*If you haven't read this book, you should. I've lived in SoCal for most of my life, and there was stuff in here I never knew about my fellow people.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Maybe we don't have enough Mexican-Americans here. All the used tire stores are in industrial areas bordering on slums.

My favorite is Maypop Tires. Heh.
    This message brought to you by NinetyWt, the Queen of Lubricants™.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm afraid I don't have a great answer for the OP, but I ALWAYS go to the barrio when I need tires. You get a straight deal, always at a much better price than any of the chain stores. I've never had a problem with the tires and I get to skip all of the add-on-charges, warranty pitches, and upselling. Just slap some rubber on my rims please.

Now how much trouble can I get in here...the OP is a stereotype...based very much in reality as most stereotypes are...so can I answer with one?

Slinging rubber is actually kind of hard dirty work. I've found the stereotypical Hispanic immigrant to be unafraid of hard dirty work. And I respect them for it in a stereotypical kind of way.

Registered
    Feb 2009

InLucemEdita: Hi, welcome to Domebo!

Did you post on the SDMB, or have you found this community another way? Either way, I'm sure you'll fit right in
    I didn't make the world this way, it was like this when I got here

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Out here in whitebread middle class central PA, there's a new/used tire, wheel, and hubcap store about 4 miles away. Nice folks run the place. Good prices and an extensive inventory.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison

Registered
    Mar 2009

I think it is similar to the prevalence of Middle Eastern/Asian owners of convenience stores. In my area used tire stores are almost all owned and operated by HIspanics, willing to work hard at something that Whitebread Americans might think is "below" them. Convenience store owners and workers work hard and long hours for low pay or profit. They often pool resources, work hours, finances, housing, etc., in a way other Americans won't or don't do.
    Vintage Wrench Collector Tool Talk
    Photographer My Flickr
    PapawsImages
    Brazoria County Forum

Registered
    Mar 2009

Flame,
    First posted on SDMB in 2000...signed up again (not a sock...just couldn't remember the other user name) in 2002.
    I posted about 85 times in 9 years. Lurked a lot. Or maybe it was 120 posts...I don't know.

The bad words list made me very uncomfortable.

I like this place.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I just saw your post to Ed. Holy shit, that was good.

+ Reply to thread