+ Reply to thread

Thread: About to see "Watchmen"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default About to see "Watchmen"

My girlfriend took the day off; I'm still unemployed; so we're going to the 10:45 am showing.

Will report upon return. Hrmm.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: About to see "Watchmen"

I haven't read the comics, so I'll be watching this film with no preconceptions, unlike the case with all the other comic book characters that I've seen translated to the big screen. Afterwards, I'll have to seek out some of the comic book stuff for comparisons sake, but until then, the trailers have certainly whet my appetite.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I want to go see it, but I don't really want to go alone. Is there anybody in the LA / Ventura County area who wants to go with me? I've got free tickets.
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When all you have is a bowel disruptor, everything's a poop joke.
    www.CuriouslyLydean.net - comics, cocktails, writing, and other odd things.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by SilverTygerGirl
    I want to go see it, but I don't really want to go alone. Is there anybody in the LA / Ventura County area who wants to go with me? I've got free tickets.
    You have free tix? When were you going to go, me and the missus might be free. She just found out that the movie is almost three hours long though, so it might take some extra convincing.

Registered
    Mar 2009

CROSS POSTED FROM GIRAFFEBOARD, NO SPOILERS

Fuck. What a night, y'all! We got to the theater an hour and a half before showtime, and there were already at least two hundred people there. After about twenty minutes in line, security came and split the group into a second line (one for regular and one for IMAX). This put our position at about twenty deep. I saw a guy dressed as Rorshach! Once they opened the floodgates to let us in, we made a beeline for the concession stand and stocked up on popcorn and drinks. Then it was off to find seats. I was really disappointed that they only showed one preview - Harry Potter - because I had heard they were supposed to show Terminator and Star Trek, but I was too excited to let that get me down. I was time for the movie!! I won't spoil anything, but I do have a few things to say that don't have anything to do with the plot at all.

1. I got stuck sitting next to the most obnoxious guy in the theater. Yelling and talking (above normal conversation levels for a crowded bar) during the whole thing. I know his whole life story, from how he owes $26,000 in college tuition to how he dropped out because none of it was fun to how he now lives in his mommy's basement without a job to how he spends at least eight hours a day playing WoW.

2. An hour and forty five minutes in, there was a popping sound, and the screen went black. Then the lights came up and the "standby" started playing, commercials for the snack bar and trivia and such. "Wow," I though, "what a shitty place in the story to put an intermission!" Five minutes later, a theater employee came by to inform us that the tape had snapped. They were trying to fix it though, so we sat there for an hour while they worked on it. Finally, they said that while the tape itself was working - and we had only missed about two seconds of footage - due to the nature of IMAX, the sound wouldn't work. So they handed out two free tickets to everyone in the theater, and sent us all home. Fuck.

3. What I saw was absolutely brilliant. I was digging everything, and had some real goosebump moments. It's driving me crazy that I don't know what the rest of it looks like. And I blew my babysitting wad already, so it could be another two weeks before I get to see it. AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!
    Heaven doesn't want me, and Hell is afraid I'll take over

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by freekalette
    2. An hour and forty five minutes in, there was a popping sound, and the screen went black. Then the lights came up and the "standby" started playing, commercials for the snack bar and trivia and such. "Wow," I though, "what a shitty place in the story to put an intermission!" Five minutes later, a theater employee came by to inform us that the tape had snapped. They were trying to fix it though, so we sat there for an hour while they worked on it. Finally, they said that while the tape itself was working - and we had only missed about two seconds of footage - due to the nature of IMAX, the sound wouldn't work. So they handed out two free tickets to everyone in the theater, and sent us all home. Fuck.
    The same damn thing happend when I went to go see Spiderman 3! It's one of the really big downsides to IMAX, their stuff seems way more fragile.

3. What I saw was absolutely brilliant. I was digging everything, and had some real goosebump moments.
    Fantastic!
    It's driving me crazy that I don't know what the rest of it looks like. And I blew my babysitting wad already, so it could be another two weeks before I get to see it. AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!
    Less fantastic. That's rough, sorry.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Report: Fantastic. Probably as good as a movie version could be. Some plot changes, but I understood; different media. In a graphic novel, you can have all sorts of complicating elements, and the reader has time to stop and ponder them -- as long as they reflect the overall themes, they're good. But a movie has to move along in a different way. Also, I felt the changes actually tightened up the story, and made sense in terms of character.

The opening credit sequence is one of the best I've ever seen. If you've absorbed the characters and background of the graphic novel, the opening is a great distillation, and actually quite moving.

Most of the acting was terrific. Jackie Earle Haley, in particular, should be nominated for an Oscar. Malin Akerman (Laurie Juspeczyk) was a little flat, but looked great. Jeffrey Dean Morgan was perfect as the Comedian.

I'm just amazed Zack Snyder talked Warner Bros. into doing the film right -- R rated, almost three hours long, and with Dr. Manhattan, as Jon Stewart put it, "Swingin' some pipe. Blue pipe!"

Gonna see it again this weekend with my brother.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by NAF1138
    Quote Originally posted by SilverTygerGirl
    You have free tix? When were you going to go, me and the missus might be free. She just found out that the movie is almost three hours long though, so it might take some extra convincing.
    Dunno. I have to study for a midterm this weekend, but I could make time. PM or email and we'll work something out.
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When all you have is a bowel disruptor, everything's a poop joke.
    www.CuriouslyLydean.net - comics, cocktails, writing, and other odd things.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm seeing it in IMAX on Wednesday. I am cautiously optimistic.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Saw it today. Totally blown away. Visually it was impeccable, seamless, gorgeous even at its most sordid. The alternate history angle was flawlessly done and disorienting. You NEVER get used to Dr Manhattan, he just gets more and more unsettling as the story unfolds. I kept seeing the main five characters, Manhattan, Ozymandias, Laurie, Dan, and Rorschach as LaGrange points along the human/superhuman continuum, orbiting each other and influencing each other's actions and thoughts. Totally approve of the changes made to the resolution as it's more streamlined, and also will resonate more with moviegoers who aren't fanboys. Tackled better than any comic book based movie the issue of what superpowers mated with normal human psychological frailties can and will do to a person. Bridges the DC/Marvel line of superhero stoicism/angst then earfucks it to a near death experience. I know what I mean by that but would have a hard time explaining it right at the moment as I'm cataclysmically thermonuked. Gomen nasai and shit.

Amazingly well rendered ultraviolence, including a few scenes that nearly caused me to vomitlaunch, and I'm very hard to impress with SPFX.

Gonna go see it again Tuesday with Himself. Expect I will be blown away again.
    "And I hope I don't get born again, 'cuz one time was enough!" -- Mark Sandman

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by SmartAleq
    Bridges the DC/Marvel line of superhero stoicism/angst then earfucks it to a near death experience.
    I don't know much about marketing, but I say they're crazy if they don't use that on a poster.

I'm seeing it with a friend today at 1. Can't wait!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Just saw it again with my brother. Still loved it. I've been reading some of the negative reviews online; I really think some people went in determined to find fault wherever possible.

Like the graphic novel (and Alan Moore's work in general), it's full of bits of not only pop culture, but pop folklore. This time I caught [spoiler:3d2whilj]Neil Armstrong (on the Moon, with Dr. Manhattan reflected in his visor), saying, "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky!"[/spoiler:3d2whilj]

Registered
    Feb 2009

It occurs to me that, not only is the movie a different experience depending on whether you're familiar with the graphic novel, but also depending on age (or familiarity with US culture from the 1940s on). Lots of little things that somebody in my age group will recognize, that a young person might not. Like [spoiler:337wstam]in the opening credit sequence, when Silhouette kisses the nurse in Times Square on VJ Day, duplicating the famous photo of a sailor doing the same.[/spoiler:337wstam]

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Not to mention the little cultural tidbits gone wrong--for example, when the girl was putting the daisy into the [spoiler:310j7a7f]rifle barrel I totally knew they were gonna fire...[/spoiler:310j7a7f]

Queen of the Metrolink
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    A wretched hive of scum and villainy, So Cal

Would it have been too much to ask to have Dr. Manhattan teleport himself some underpants?

This movie takes the 16" DHIBJD joke to a whole new level.
    I'm pro-choice and I shoot back.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Up country; west, east, south and somewhat north...

Quote Originally posted by Baldwin
    It occurs to me that, not only is the movie a different experience depending on whether you're familiar with the graphic novel, but also depending on age (or familiarity with US culture from the 1940s on). Lots of little things that somebody in my age group will recognize, that a young person might not. Like [spoiler:14y0hxcn]in the opening credit sequence, when Silhouette kisses the nurse in Times Square on VJ Day, duplicating the famous photo of a sailor doing the same.[/spoiler:14y0hxcn]
    Did you notice [spoiler:14y0hxcn]the sailor from the original shot approaching the nurse from screen left, juuust a bit too late to beat Silhouette?[/spoiler:14y0hxcn]
    If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. But if this is tea please bring me some coffee. ~Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by xenophon41
    It occurs to me that, not only is the movie a different experience depending on whether you're familiar with the graphic novel, but also depending on age (or familiarity with US culture from the 1940s on). Lots of little things that somebody in my age group will recognize, that a young person might not. Like [spoiler:10zc70uq]in the opening credit sequence, when Silhouette kisses the nurse in Times Square on VJ Day, duplicating the famous photo of a sailor doing the same.[/spoiler:10zc70uq]
    Did you notice [spoiler:10zc70uq]the sailor from the original shot approaching the nurse from screen left, juuust a bit too late to beat Silhouette?[/spoiler:10zc70uq]
    No, but my girlfriend did. Very observant that way. My attention, for some reason, must have been focused elsewhere. (Apollonia Vanova, as Silhouette, is distractingly hot.)

Quote Originally posted by Lady Xoc
    Would it have been too much to ask to have Dr. Manhattan teleport himself some underpants?
    It is kind of unsettling, isn't it? Even more than being blue and glowing and made from energy, the fact that Dr. Manhattan doesn't bother to wear anything shows how separate he is from human society. And (in both the graphic novel and movie) I like the idea that if people have an actual superbeing in front of them, doing something impossible, their reaction isn't amazed delight so much as traumatic shock.

Could you let us in on the joke?

ETA: America has a new catchprase: "On a scale from zero to ten, zero meaning impossible and ten signifying metaphysical certitude. . . ."

It'll catch on.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It's a hold-over from The Other Place. Strongbow started a thread about his wife almost breaking one of his ribs when she smote him with an 18" Double-Headed Indigo-Blue Jelly Dildo. The thread is worth searching out. Pretty funny.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by silenus
    It's a hold-over from The Other Place. Strongbow started a thread about his wife almost breaking one of his ribs when she smote him with an 18" Double-Headed Indigo-Blue Jelly Dildo. The thread is worth searching out. Pretty funny.
    Thanks; soon as I'm no longer banned, I'll check it out.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by silenus
    Actually, that would be an "ICE blue jelly dildo." I weep for my sanity that I know this fact...

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Thanks; soon as I'm no longer banned, I'll check it out.
    You can still lurk, right? Knock yourself out!

+ Reply to thread