+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why the fuck does Excel move somewhere else when I double-click a cell?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Why the fuck does Excel move somewhere else when I double-click a cell?

Jesus Christ, this is annoying. Everyone I know is annoyed to death by this shitty "feature." What in God's name is this for, and how can I disable it?

Default Re: Why the fuck does Excel move somewhere else when I double-click a cell?

there is a lot of money to be made for the spreadsheet software that makes sense

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Why the fuck does Excel move somewhere else when I double-cl

To the best of my knowledge, that shouldn't happen if you're clicking in the cell.

However, if you double click on the border of a cell, it will jump to the edge of the spreadsheet that the border faces. I.e. if you double click the bottom border of a cell, it'll take you to the furthest cell down from the border you clicked on that has data in it. The idea is to make it easier to jump around large spreadsheets.

E.T.A.
    The only way to turn it off is to go Tools->Options->Edit and disallow "allow cell drag and drop." This means that you can't just drag cells from place to place anymore but it should stop the behaviour you describe.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Why the fuck does Excel move somewhere else when I double-click a cell?

Whoa. I'm a heavy Excel user. Have been for years. I never knew about this. I'm glad I never accidentally do this, but now thanks to fsghjvdhkjschks for asking about it and to Scathach for being able to explain it, I'll know what happened if I ever accidentally do it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I use Excel loads in my new job, and at first I kept doing this all the time. It took a while to figure out that I had to click right in the middle of the cell in order to prevent it (at first I thought it was just a glitch!). Really annoying feature.
    I didn't make the world this way, it was like this when I got here

Registered
    Mar 2009

Thank you so much. That helps a lot.

Quote Originally posted by Borborygmi
    Whoa. I'm a heavy Excel user. Have been for years. I never knew about this. I'm glad I never accidentally do this, but now thanks to fsghjvdhkjschks for asking about it and to Scathach for being able to explain it, I'll know what happened if I ever accidentally do it.
    I'm really surprised that you've never encountered this. How?? I have this happen to me hundreds of times a day!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by fsghjvdhkjschks
    I'm really surprised that you've never encountered this. How?? I have this happen to me hundreds of times a day!
    Sorry, dude! I guess it's because I use keyboard shortcuts as much as possible (rather than the mouse), and even when I mouse I can't think of anything I would double-click on in the body of the spreadsheet.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I was trying to update a whole bunch of cells. There might have been a regex or something I could use to do it but my Excel expertise isn't that great (yet )
    I didn't make the world this way, it was like this when I got here

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Why the fuck does Excel move somewhere else when I double-cl

This 'feature' is the second-most annoying thing about Excel. While I've written Easytrieves (a sequential language similar to COBOL or SAS) to do much of my work for me ('cause I'm lazy an' shite) I still have to manually add elements to a percentage of cells. I try to work fast, and I get on a roll. Then I accidentally hit a cell boundary and end up somewhere else. To find my way back to where I was I undo/redo. On the extremely rare occasion when I want to use this feature, it won't do it for me. I'll check out the tools Scathach posted.

The most annoying thing about Excel is when I go to click on a cell and suddenly the page jumps for no apparent reason.
    'Never say "no" to adventure. Always say "yes". Otherwise you'll lead a very dull life.' -- Commander Caractacus Pott, R.N. (Retired)

Registered
    Mar 2009

I've been using Excel for years and I spend at least 6 hours a day using or programming it. I've never noticed the "double click" border trick.
    Maybe because I never had a reason to double click on a cell. Thanks Scathach for the explanation.

The rest of you , what exactly are you trying to do that requires a double click?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Bubbadog
    The rest of you , what exactly are you trying to do that requires a double click?
    Click inside of a cell. For example, a cell may contain 123 Fake St. You want it to have 123 Fake St #100. So you double-click on the cell to get to the end of the string so you can add the #100. (Too slow to go up to the formula bar when there are a lot of them.)
    'Never say "no" to adventure. Always say "yes". Otherwise you'll lead a very dull life.' -- Commander Caractacus Pott, R.N. (Retired)

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Bubbadog
    how do YOU make a small change to a formula? For example, if you want to make a reference cell in the following equation an absolute reference?

=IF(L2="05",VLOOKUP(D2,ShowCodes!$B$2:$G$189,6,FAL SE),VLOOKUP(D2,ShowCodes!$L$2:$Q$100,6,FALSE))

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm not Bubbadog, but I would probably...
    • Navigate to the cell, probably with arrow keys. Or, a single mouse click on it is fine.[/*:m:dmc2qgev]
    • Hit F2 to edit the cell contents.[/*:m:dmc2qgev]
    • Hit Ctrl-Home to go to the beginning of the formula.[/*:m:dmc2qgev]
    • Hit Ctrl-LeftArrow several times to get approximately to the part of the formula to be edited.[/*:m:dmc2qgev]
    • Hit Left- or RightArrow as needed to get to the exact spot.[/*:m:dmc2qgev]
    • Add the $ sign(s).[/*:m:dmc2qgev]
    • Hit Enter.[/*:m:dmc2qgev]
    I always prefer using the keyboard to the mouse, if there's a reasonable choice. I can understand why this list would sound nuts to someone who prefers the mouse, though.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by fsghjvdhkjschks
    how do YOU make a small change to a formula?
    I'd click on the cell, then click on the formula in the formula bar (which is above the top line of the spreadsheet saying "A B C D E ..."). You edit the formula in the formula bar, then either press the Enter key or click on another cell to finish editing.

Registered
    Mar 2009

This is, in fact, the most annoying aspect of this software. Will it be patched in the near future? Highly unlikely.

+ Reply to thread