+ Reply to thread

Thread: I'm coming out in favor of Yukon Gold potatoes

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default I'm coming out in favor of Yukon Gold potatoes

For years, we've been baking plain old Idaho potatoes. Today, for the first time, I tried Yukon Gold potatoes, and I'm not goin' back. They cost a little more per pound, but well worth it. Excellent, slightly buttery taste; tender; easily edible skin.

So, that's my two cents on that.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: I'm coming out in favor of Yukon Gold potatoes

I fully endorse the OPs conclusion.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rowrbazzle!

Try they as baby of fingerling potatoes. Roast them with a little oil and salt. Yummy.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Ever had potato chips made with Yukon Gold potatoes? Simply in a whole nother league from the usual.
    "Dude, your statistical average, which was already in the toilet, just took a plunge into the Earth's mantle." ~ iampunha

Registered
    Feb 2009

Personally, I like the baby ones, diced and fried with a little oil and rosemary.

You might also want to try Ocas, Mellocos and Mashuas, all of which a potato-like vegetables with more flavor than your typical spud. They're some times hard to find in the US, admittedly, but can some times before in Mexican groceries.
    Proud member of the '09 Phanters! K.I.L.L. S.M.U.R.F.S.
    Have you ever wondered if your mom kissed you goodnight after giving your dad a blowjob? You are now. "To be second in space is to be second in everything," LBJ

Registered
    Feb 2009

They are also delicious in soups and stews, or just boiled whole in chicken broth and buttered and salted.

Oh, run them bitches over the cheese grater and soak them in sugar/salt water then fry them up for the most picturesque hashed browns you can ever imagine too.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Winner of the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize GingerOfTheNorth's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm a fan. They're not super mashed (I like PEI white potatoes for that, but can't get 'em here) but I really like them baked.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Registered
    Mar 2009

NOM!!!!!!

So good!

Registered
    Mar 2009

"Dude, your statistical average, which was already in the toilet, just took a plunge into the Earth's mantle." ~ iampunha

Registered
    Mar 2009

I love using Yukons as mashers. I've never baked one though. I'll try that next grocery shop.
    Open the airlocks and jettison the penguins!

Queen of the Metrolink
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    A wretched hive of scum and villainy, So Cal

I mash 50/50 Yukons/Russets. All the flavor of the Yukons but a little bit of the lightness of the russet. So yummy.

Or in the summertime, I was them, slice 'em thin and lay the slices in a square of foil. Salt, pepper, a little olive oil, whatever other seasonings sound good depending on the main. Fold it all up securely and toss it in the slow part of the grill.
    I'm pro-choice and I shoot back.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Lady Xoc
    I mash 50/50 Yukons/Russets. All the flavor of the Yukons but a little bit of the lightness of the russet. So yummy.
    I'll have to try that. I've done them mashed, and they come out this glorious yellow, buttery color. The first time I did them, my mom saw them and asked, "how much butter did you put in there?" thinking that's where the color came from. Be interesting to balance them out. Or marble them -- swirl some mashed Yukons with mashed Russetts!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Lady Xoc
    Or in the summertime, I was them, slice 'em thin and lay the slices in a square of foil. Salt, pepper, a little olive oil, whatever other seasonings sound good depending on the main. Fold it all up securely and toss it in the slow part of the grill.
    Harry & David have a marvelous vegetable rub that does wonders for this type of preparation. It goes great on any root vegetable, really. But it takes Yukon Gold's to a whole 'nother level.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I love them because, as Alton Brown points out, they're about exactly halfway between a "waxy" or "boiling" potato a "starchy" or "baking" potato in terms of their chemical makeup. That means I can keep one bag of Yukon Golds on hand for 95% of my applications and they'll be delish!
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

My gnocchi recipe takes Yukons, and they become light and fluffy and ....

Cookie Monster smilies here?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

If you don't mind letting your food snob sensitivities take a break, get some of them baby ones, slice then longways, toss them with olive oil and a packet of Lipton dry onion soup mix, and roast until done. Heaven.
    "I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
    -- Terry Pratchett

Registered
    Mar 2009

This is my favorite thing to do with Yukon Gold Potatoes:

Cut into halves, and boil until tender.

Drain, and put into a bowl.

Add a few tablespoons olive oil or melted butter; fresh chopped herbs--rosemary, thyme, parsley; salt & pepper; smash lightly and blend enough so the seasonings are well-distributed.

Put into a greased casserole/pyrex dish.

Sprinkle liberally with grated parmesan cheese (the real stuff, not from the green can)

Bake at 400 until the tops are browned and crispy.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

To quote someone whom I was obliged to crush utterly and entirely for her support of a malpracticing knife-abusing chef (not to mention being half-Danish myself):

"I never met a potato that I didn't like."

+ Reply to thread