+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why is the "Democrat party" supposed to bug me?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Why is the "Democrat party" supposed to bug me?

I've seen numerous mentions, sometimes annoyed mentions, of Republicans called the Democratic party the "Democrat party." Apparently, this is supposed to bug me. Why?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Why is the "Democrat party" supposed to bug me?

Wiki has a good summary. In a nutshell, those who started using it as an epithet say there's nothing democratic about the Democrats, so they shouldn't be called the Democratic Party. It's almost always used by people who want to slam the party, and only rarely in media.

Registered
    Feb 2009

But, honestly, I can't see anyone thinking worse things about the party because some people shorten it to "Democrat." It seems like one of the sillier things to get upset over.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Consider the source.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by silenus
    Consider the source.
    Well, a lot of Republicans (even the especially slimy ones) use the term 'Democratic Party'. Do you have a problem with that, now, too?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, I guess it's the intended insult behind the change that just bugs some people; others shrug and say whatever. It's also like someone intentionally calling you the slightly-wrong name and acting all innocent when you wince at it. Childish, sure, but that happens a lot across the political spectrum with stupid nicknames and the like.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Julie
    But, honestly, I can't see anyone thinking worse things about the party because some people shorten it to "Democrat." It seems like one of the sillier things to get upset over.
    Which is sillier, getting upset over it or trying to score subtle political points over starting it in the first place? It does not upset me, there are much worse things to be upset at with regards to anybody who does this consistently. But it does annoy me. It is bothersome to have what is supposed to be leaders of a major political force reduced to what amounts to playground name calling. I don't think this is ever going to get one person who didn't agree with the Republicans to switch sides, but it is another arrow of stupid in a quiver already overloaded with dumb.

To go even further, where are the people that are really upset over this? Sure, there are plenty of pundits and bloggers who make mention of it. But where is the outrage? Mostly it seems to be head shaking and sighing that it has come to this.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Ferret Herder
    Well, I guess it's the intended insult behind the change that just bugs some people;
    It isn't possible to insult me by calling me a Democrat.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Howye
    Which is sillier, getting upset over it or trying to score subtle political points over starting it in the first place?
    It's much sillier to get upset over it. One side has a purpose (loathesome though the purpose may be). The other side is just getting its chain yanked.

Does anyone genuinely believe there has been a voter who is swayed by "the Democrat Party" versus "the Democratic Party"? Most people probably don't hear these as different. I know that I don't unless someone points it out to me.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It isn't possible to insult me by calling me a Democrat.
    Calling you "Julia" isn't an insult either, but if I did it over and over, knowing that your name was Julie, you'd have reason to be irritated.

It's not something I really care about either, but it tells you something about the mentality of the few people remaining in the GOP.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Actually, my name IS Julia.

I can't be irritated if I don't have a preference. I have zero preference between Democratic and Democrat. They are completely interchangeable for me, therefore I can't be harmed by anyone's intent to bother me.

It seems that people are bothered because they think they are meant to be bothered. I can't be bothered to be bothered and am not bothered.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Actually, my name IS Julia.
    Heh heh heh . . .

I can't be irritated if I don't have a preference. I have zero preference between Democratic and Democrat. They are completely interchangeable for me, therefore I can't be harmed by anyone's intent to bother me.

It seems that people are bothered because they think they are meant to be bothered. I can't be bothered to be bothered and am not bothered.
    Well, the supposed idea behind the use of "democrat" instead of "democratic" is that "democrat" has been basically (at least for the Republican base) been tainted by years of scorn on the part of talk show hosts, whereas "democratic" means, you know, "pertaining to a democracy". It's associated with a set of ideals we're all supposed to share. So calling the democratic party the "democrat party" is, I guess, meant to trigger a negative association in listeners.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Excalibre
    Well, the supposed idea behind the use of "democrat" instead of "democratic" is that "democrat" has been basically (at least for the Republican base) been tainted by years of scorn on the part of talk show hosts, whereas "democratic" means, you know, "pertaining to a democracy". It's associated with a set of ideals we're all supposed to share. So calling the democratic party the "democrat party" is, I guess, meant to trigger a negative association in listeners.
    Does it work? Or are the only people affected the same people who are already fawning all over Rush Limbaugh?

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Does it work? Or are the only people affected the same people who are already fawning all over Rush Limbaugh?
    I would lean towards the latter.

But they have in the past had pretty good luck at poisoning the well in various ways. Look how "liberal" got turned into an insult.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Presumably, there was some GOP polling done a while back that showed people had a less favorable response to 'Democrat Party' than 'Democratic Party', which makes sense to me. I'm a Democrat, sure, but that's because 'Democrat' is a noun, and is almost always used as a noun (well, I'm not a Democrat just because it's a noun, but you get my point.) To use it as an adjective sounds grating, so people probably respond to it more negatively.

But there's also the simple fact that making up a new name for a person/entity and using it despite their objections is childish and silly. Fivethirtyeight had a post about this just a day or two ago here: http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/03/ ... n-for.html.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Methinks this same bullshit appeals to the pinheads out there who snicker whenever someone says anything remotely naughty. "Heh heh. He said 'hell'. Heh heh." Fifteen years ago, they were laughing at Beavis and Butthead. Today, they're laughing at "Democrat Party." It's a small thing that shows how small they really are.
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

+ Reply to thread