+ Reply to thread

Thread: Random fence corners

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Random fence corners

Lately I've noticed a few places that have these. Most often they're split rail, but I've seen other types of wooden fence like this. It's just 3 fence posts in a rough triangle with rails connecting them, as if someone started building a fence at the corners, then stopped. These corners are frequently randomly placed in a field, seemingly with no rhyme or reason. My first thought was as property markers, but the layout doesn't makes sense unless the properties in question are very odd shaped. Is there a point, or are these just decorations?
    BB Rodriguez, formerly known as masterofnone

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Random fence corners

They're just decorations. We've got 'em here, too, and I've seen 'em in Texas. Some more creative types use them as trellises for climbing vines, then plant flowers and such around them.
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Sometimes the corners of barbed wire fences are built like that. They reinforce things, so you can pull the wire tightly from both directions. You'll see a straight one in the middle of a line sometimes too, and at a gate. The rest of the posts are T-posts, and not as visible from a distance.
    once upon a time known as cowgirl jules

Registered
    Mar 2009

In urban areas, such fences are used to prevent pedestrians from taking shortcuts across the property when walking around a corner.

+ Reply to thread