+ Reply to thread

Thread: Car remote starter help?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Car remote starter help?

I installed a remote starter on my car a few years ago, and it worked fine until this year. The problem is, it only cranks the engine for a second or so, and this will not start the car unless it's pretty warm outside, which defeats the purpose of the remote starter. When I use it, I have to hit start, wait for it to try to start, hit stop, wait for the timeout, and repeat until it finally warms up enough to work. It doesn't even kick over the first time. It then fires and sputters out repeatedly. When I start the car manually, I give it a shot of gas and it cranks over on the first try. It's fuel Injected, so I don't know if there are any adjustments I can make, like I could if it had a carb. It's a '01 Subaru Outback. Help!?
    BB Rodriguez, formerly known as masterofnone

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Car remote starter help?

Are any codes being reported by the ECM? If so, can you read them? How long has it been since the fuel and air filter have been changed? An air filter full of crud may not deliver a proper volume of air for efficient combustion. A fuel filter full of crud may not deliver fuel to the injection system for efficient combustion.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison

Registered
    Mar 2009

Thanks! I'll replace the filters and see if that does any good. I'm sure they could use it anyway. Re. the ECM: do I need a code reader for this, or is it a "count the times the check engine light flashes when you start it" kind of thing? The check engine light does not stay on.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by BB Rodriguez
    Thanks! I'll replace the filters and see if that does any good. I'm sure they could use it anyway. Re. the ECM: do I need a code reader for this, or is it a "count the times the check engine light flashes when you start it" kind of thing? The check engine light does not stay on.
    Honestly, I don't know if Subarus display the code in that manner. Auto Zone, Advance, Pep Boys stores will typically give you a code check, free of charge. Regarding the fuel filter, DO NOT attempt to disconnect fittings until you're certain pressure has been relieved. Vehicles with pump in fuel tank have pressurized lines up to the engine compartment, and proper procedures must be followed to avoid personal injury and risk of fuel spraying/fire. Spend the $ for a Haynes manual (if you don't have one), or consult with someone who knows the safe method for your vehicle. Good luck.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison

Registered
    Mar 2009

Thanks. I've got the Haynes manual. That's the first thing I buy for any new vehicle. I'll check with Number One Auto and see if they'll check the code for me, as they're the only decent sized chain around here.

+ Reply to thread