+ Reply to thread

Thread: Asking for money already?

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Asking for money already?

I don't have a big rant planned out, and i was a member here before i was a member of any other splinter board.
    But actually asking for money already?
    Seriously..

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Asking for money already?

Actually that plan has already changed. This board is evolving quick. A free host was proffered by McNuttyand accepted.

Beside as long as there was no shortage of us willing to help out, why should CRSP bear the burden by himself.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

All i'm saying is that i'm a member of two splinter boards, and one was already asking for money while the other wasn't.
    This was the first splinter board a joined so it will always be closer to my heart. But when you start asking for money so early it makes me think you didn't really make a plan, you just registered a domain without thinking..

J

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by The J Word
    But when you start asking for money so early it makes me think you didn't really make a plan, you just registered a domain without thinking.
    No, it just suggests that the new board was much more popular, and so took up more bandwidth, than CRSP anticipated.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It makes me think that running a board is expensive and that trying to get money lined up early is precisely what ought to be done.

Registered
    Feb 2009

All i'm saying is that i'm a member of two splinter boards, and one was already asking for money while the other wasn't.
    This was the first splinter board a joined so it will always be closer to my heart. But when you start asking for money so early it makes me think you didn't really make a plan, you just registered a domain without thinking..

J
    Actually I believe CRSP already admitted that it grew quicker than he expected. So while I would not say he "registered a domain without thinking..", I would say he did not plan this out in great detail. SO far we have had no real hiccups. You have probably also noticed though that he has been looking for and accept help and input from the start. He seems to be building a message board community where the community has heavy input into how it is run. I find it refreshing, just my opinion of course.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

J
    Okay, I mean this in the nicest way, so don't take it harshly. But what kind of failure at life would you have to be to feel some need to deliberately try to create conflict between GB and here? Really, who could possibly have such an empty, pathetic life that they would care? Both boards are fine. Some people went here, some went there, some are hanging out both places, and some are still at the SDMB. Fine. It'll probably shake out in a few weeks, and one or the other will snap up most of the SDMB's old posters, and whichever one it is, it's fine. Or else both will remain and become slightly different niches, and that's fine too.

It's all fine. Why people like you feel some need to try to create drama here is baffling to everyone else.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The J Word, we have close to three times the number of posts as GB, more threads, as well as slightly more members. We also have a CMS operating on the frontpage, and more features enabled on the boards themselves, for example avatars and a choice of themes, as well as a development forum, where the extensions we have been proactive in adding to the boards are tested out. It's not really surprising that we are eating through script executions faster than GB.
    Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur
    D'une langueur Monotone

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Excalibre
    It's all fine. Why people like you feel some need to try to create drama here is baffling to everyone else.
    Due respect, but you didn't seem to be heeding that advice when you blew in over here in this thread. You said I was "throwing a big drama fit", which wasn't true, and that I was "derailing a thread" — even though it was my own goddamn thread. Then you tried to incite other people with an all-caps "WHO IS WITH ME" appeal.

Jesus, man. Jumping in out of nowhere to accuse people of throwing drama fits and drum up a pile-on is itself a drama fit. I know you won't see it that way but you got called on it, so I wasn't the only one.

Do you think it would be possible for you to just drop whatever baffling grudge it is you have against me? Or else, could we work it out by PM and save these people from your impending counterattack? Just let me know when and how I offended you, and I'll apologize. I would apologize now, but I need to know what I'm being sorry for.

Registered
    Feb 2009

J
    I for one never expected this to be a free ride, running things like this cost money and we all know that. Crispy was decent enough to get the ball rolling with his own funds and I appreciate the initiative that he took in doing so, however I've clearly supported boards before and I will clearly contiune to support a board. It's just the reality of how things work. Crispy isn't asking for money, the board is. My fellow posters. My friends, the ones who are making this work. If I can help give permanance and stability to this community, I'll do it.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Just keep repeating it, eventually they'll all believe it, right? Same accusations you hurled at me yesterday when I said little more than this:
    Quote Originally posted by What Exit?
    Actually I believe CRSP already admitted that it grew quicker than he expected. So while I would not say he "registered a domain without thinking..", I would say he did not plan this out in great detail. SO far we have had no real hiccups. You have probably also noticed though that he has been looking for and accept help and input from the start. He seems to be building a message board community where the community has heavy input into how it is run. I find it refreshing, just my opinion of course.
    My emphasis.
    Aka: Sierra Indigo

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by The Cid
    My emphasis.
    What is your point? A message board is something that needs to be planned out in exact details? Success is a bad thing? You like to show off that you don't like DoMeBo? You want a board war between what is effectively the same group of people?

Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello runner pat's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

[quote=The Cid]
    Just keep repeating it, eventually they'll all believe it, right? Same accusations you hurled at me yesterday when I said little more than this:
    Quote Originally posted by "What Exit?":22tjbkj2
    My emphasis.[/quote:22tjbkj2]

He was also trying to set up a place before everyone scattered. He really didn't have time to make plans at that point. He's done a terrific job since and I like that there is community input and involvement to get things straightened out.
    "To give anything less than your best is to waste the Gift."
    Steve Prefontaine

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Liberal, you're complaining about me having a "baffling grudge" -- by trying to start shit in an unrelated thread?

Is this how you prove that you're not seeking out childish drama just for the heck of it?

I think this is the last post of yours I'll ever read, so as to stop this hijack in its tracks. God knows I won't be missing anything.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Liberal
    Then you tried to incite other people with an all-caps "WHO IS WITH ME" appeal.
    I noticed that, and thought about commenting on it there, but chose not to. Since this is the Pit, er the Clink ... I mean the Thunderdome, I'll comment.

I hope these kind of relational aggression tactics that excalibre has been using here (e.g. "nobody here likes you" and "hey everyone help me gang up on him") really only work among 14 year old girls, and not adults on a message board. I've been disappointed in people before, so I won't be shocked to learn I'm wrong.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Hentor the Barbarian
    Quote Originally posted by Liberal
    Then you tried to incite other people with an all-caps "WHO IS WITH ME" appeal.
    I noticed that, and thought about commenting on it there, but chose not to. Since this is the Pit, er the Clink ... I mean the Thunderdome, I'll comment.

I hope these kind of relational aggression tactics that excalibre has been using here (e.g. "nobody here likes you" and "hey everyone help me gang up on him") really only work among 14 year old girls, and not adults on a message board. I've been disappointed in people before, so I won't be shocked to learn I'm wrong.
    Do you see it working? I don't? I think you have nothing to worry about.

XJETGIRLX

Anyone who thinks that anything online just runs itself is incredibly deluded.

I'm actually very happy to see that a request for funds was organized so quickly when it appeared to be needed, and that fundraising ideas are being sincerely considered.

I can't believe you're complaining that this board is asking for money already. It's like complaining that a new restaurant you like is always busy or full of people. It's a sign that things are growing and thriving.

XJETGIRLX

Quote Originally posted by runner pat
    He was also trying to set up a place before everyone scattered. He really didn't have time to make plans at that point. He's done a terrific job since and I like that there is community input and involvement to get things straightened out.
    Agreed. I think the manner in which CRSP and everyone else here was able to pull things together by the seat of their pants speaks very well toward the future of this board. He was able to get things rolling and use the momentum to build and grow the board. It's not like everything is just going to stop while you get your plans in place.

Registered
    Mar 2009

[quote=What Exit?]
    Quote Originally posted by "The Cid":3s0vqr2m
    My emphasis.
    What is your point? A message board is something that needs to be planned out in exact details? Success is a bad thing? You like to show off that you don't like DoMeBo? You want a board war between what is effectively the same group of people?[/quote:3s0vqr2m]I don't dislike this place but I don't have any good impressions so far. The minute people step up and try to raise a red flag they're shouted down. Insulted. Called a shit-stirrer. Piled on. This place is already developing the hive mind. CRSP is hostile and turns to tu quoque when he's beaten. Not good signs.

And Jim, I don't give a rat's ass about a board war. You and I have seen enough destruction, vandalism and hacking over at the various snarkpits to know what's headed this way. I wish you success as an admin; I only hope you're not spreading yourself too thin.

Registered
    Feb 2009

But do you like me? Do you like me like me? I'll be your best friend!

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't dislike this place but I don't have any good impressions so far. The minute people step up and try to raise a red flag they're shouted down. Insulted. Called a shit-stirrer. Piled on. This place is already developing the hive mind. CRSP is hostile and turns to tu quoque when he's beaten. Not good signs.
    We have actually seen the posts in question, you know.

That's kind of how messageboards work.

Just sayin'.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Hentor the Barbarian
    You know perfectly well what I said to Liberal was not an attempt to get people to "pile on". I was asking a question: "WHO IS WITH ME" in being surprised at what Liberal was doing. I mean, there was no mistaking the sarcasm. I even used irony caps.

If you had a valid point, you wouldn't be so quick to resort to mischaracterizing my posts, don't you think?

Registered
    Feb 2009

[quote=The Cid][quote="What Exit?":rd1macxv]
    Quote Originally posted by "The Cid":rd1macxv
    My emphasis.
    What is your point? A message board is something that needs to be planned out in exact details? Success is a bad thing? You like to show off that you don't like DoMeBo? You want a board war between what is effectively the same group of people?[/quote:rd1macxv]I don't dislike this place but I don't have any good impressions so far. The minute people step up and try to raise a red flag they're shouted down. Insulted. Called a shit-stirrer. Piled on. This place is already developing the hive mind. CRSP is hostile and turns to tu quoque when he's beaten. Not good signs.

And Jim, I don't give a rat's ass about a board war. You and I have seen enough destruction, vandalism and hacking over at the various snarkpits to know what's headed this way. I wish you success as an admin; I only hope you're not spreading yourself too thin.[/quote:rd1macxv]
    Admin on this board really means tech. I won't be modding, at least not initially. I'll be someone else trying to help implement actual code changes and modifications. I can give some hours at night and I work for free in this case so no problems. I am already spending most of my time here as opposed to the Dope so no problems.

I might have been a bit snarky in my response to you, but I really don't know what your point was by quoting my opinion.

I got one thing more to add and I mean it. Have fun where ever you end up. It can even be here. Tempers flare and then things are forgiven. Most people don't hold grudges for long.

Registered
    Feb 2009

[quote=Hentor the Barbarian]
    Quote Originally posted by "What Exit?":2fw3ys2n
    But do you like me? Do you like me like me? I'll be your best friend! [/quote:2fw3ys2n]
    I know you're joking, but actually I do like you. That seems to be my nature is to find something to like about most posters. I remember you well from fighting the same astroturfer as I. He is one of my few exceptions.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I might have been a bit snarky in my response to you, but I really don't know what your point was by quoting my opinion.
    Because it was what I've been trying to say despite being shouted down with all the taunts and insults. (Not from you, you've always been more than a gentleman.) If I could quote your words, people certainly couldn't attack me for repeating them, could they? Oh wait. There's a 14-year-old in the room.

Registered
    Feb 2009

[quote=The Cid]
    Quote Originally posted by "What Exit?":3dmceovb
    Because it was what I've been trying to say despite being shouted down with all the taunts and insults. (Not from you, you've always been more than a gentleman.) If I could quote your words, people certainly couldn't attack me for repeating them, could they? Oh wait. There's a 14-year-old in the room.[/quote:3dmceovb]
    OK, thanks, but why is it a bad thing that everything was planned out. I'll almost go the opposite way and say the flexibility is a good thing early on.

I've been on the BoD for my environmental groups twice. The first time I constantly butted heads with older members as they were hidebound. This is how it was done and this is how it will be done. (Hmm sounds like my complaint on the Dope to Ed), this time I am older, calmer and the group has changed a lot. The other BoD members are open to change and debate. We are trying things. We still lock horns almost at much, but we seem willing to change things and compromise much more now.

XJETGIRLX

I don't dislike this place but I don't have any good impressions so far. The minute people step up and try to raise a red flag they're shouted down. Insulted. Called a shit-stirrer. Piled on. This place is already developing the hive mind. CRSP is hostile and turns to tu quoque when he's beaten. Not good signs.
    So people shout you down or insult you, so what? If you disagree, then argue back! That's how this whole thing is supposed to work.

I don't think there's a hive mind here so much as a consensus on some of the ideals. But we all get to make our arguments just the same as anyone else. If nobody agrees with yours, then well, I guess it just sucks to be you.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

<removed duplicate post>

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Cid -

I'm not going to insult you or flame you. I have no hive mind. But here's the thing; you say:

I don't dislike this place but I don't have any good impressions so far.
    I would like to consider the possibility that you don't have any good impressions so far because you have limited your participation almost entirely to the subject of how you don't have any good impressions so far. Threads dealing with this board, and with Giraffe's board, and the SDMB, exist, but they are a relative minority. There are games gearing up, conversations about sports, TV shows, movies, politics, music: whatever floats your particular boat, conversations are starting about it. Conversations where no "hive mind" is in evidence.

If I get a new job, and when I walk in the door the first thing I notice is that I think the office chairs are crummy, and for the next two weeks the only thing I think about, the only thing I talk about, is the office chairs, two things will happen: (1) no matter how great the job, I will never discover anything to like, because I'm compulsively focused on the office chairs; and (2) my co-workers will come to think of me as "the douche who has a problem with the office chairs."

We get it. You think CRSP is less qualified than some others to run a message board. You think he has planned less robustly than he might. Fine. Thing is, quite frankly, Cid, I don't give a damn. I am here because there are good conversations here. I am no longer interested in the SDMB as a place for conversation and Giraffe's Board hasn't interested me to date. Whether or not CRSP is "qualified" in the sense you mean the word, he has created a message board on which conversations are active, and has been active in response to user comments and complaints. So your message is heard, and understood, but it's irrelevant.

The thing I don't understand is: What are you trying to accomplish? Your criticisms of this board cannot possibly be construed as "constructive," because they offer no suggestion for improvement, and amount basically to "the board creator sucks," which is not a complaint anyone could ever address in a constructive fashion. So you're not trying to help. You're not even attempting to use this message board to talk about anything other than this message board. You certainly have the choice to hang around a place that you don't like filled with people you don't like and run by someone you don't like, making contentless complaints - that's your right. But I can't grasp what you're getting out of that choice.

The minute people step up and try to raise a red flag they're shouted down. Insulted. Called a shit-stirrer. Piled on. This place is already developing the hive mind. CRSP is hostile and turns to tu quoque when he's beaten. Not good signs.
    I have not seen you "beat" CRSP. I have seen you make an assertion that was demonstrably false. I have seen you deliberately instigate, even in the face of the obviously collegial relationship btween CRSP and Giraffe, negative feelings. I have seen you insult CRSP for no particular reason, because honestly it's not at all clear what your intent is. You seem angry and hostile, for reasons that are beyond me. What red flag are you trying to raise? What are you hoping to communicate?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I've always like El Cid. He used to be very encouraging toward me. He was one of the few people at SDMB who respected my political philosophy. I don't know what happened or when it happened, but I wish we had our old relationship back. It was probably something I did. Maybe it was so horrible that I've mentally blocked it out.

Registered
    Mar 2009

It'd be worse if no discussion of money was happening now. This board was started with energy from the mind and heart, it seems to me. Not a focus on the wallet.

I think it's very wise to look at costs, project what will be needed for this to be sustained, and discuss it openly. I'd rather pay than stare at ads or have a very interesting exciting new board fade away.

Might want to wait to see if GiraffeBoard is merging into ours before we think about costs. It may be more or less pricey, and we'll have a better sense of the census.

Cartooniverse
    If you want to kiss the sky, you'd better learn how to kneel.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Good post, storyteller.
    This message brought to you by NinetyWt, the Queen of Lubricants™.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by storyteller
    I have not seen you "beat" CRSP. I have seen you make an assertion that was demonstrably false. I have seen you deliberately instigate, even in the face of the obviously collegial relationship btween CRSP and Giraffe, negative feelings. I have seen you insult CRSP for no particular reason, because honestly it's not at all clear what your intent is. You seem angry and hostile, for reasons that are beyond me. What red flag are you trying to raise? What are you hoping to communicate?
    Right. And I just imagined all the personal attacks thrown at me.

As I admitted I have no experience with VPS and as such defer to Giraffe's authority. But where I have some authority is having observed places on the web go so wrong, very quickly, under the wrong hands. My intent was to raise caution among people who might be inclined to hand over their cash. With any such entanglement comes compromise and the last thing I wanted was for friends I've known for half a decade to compromise their privacy or personal information because a short-sighted Site Founder hadn't thought it through.

CRSP's own ad hominem hostility at the very mention of the subject, it seems, is the outing of his character.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

As I admitted I have no experience with VPS and as such defer to Giraffe's authority. But where I have some authority is having observed places on the web go so wrong, very quickly, under the wrong hands. My intent was to raise caution among people who might be inclined to hand over their cash. With any such entanglement comes compromise and the last thing I wanted was for friends I've known for half a decade to compromise their privacy or personal information because a short-sighted Site Founder hadn't thought it through.
    Fair enough, and your objection is noted. However, this is the first time in a massive rush of posts that you have outlined this concern, clearly and directly (that I've seen). You've made your point now, and it's up to the adults who are here to decide for themselves what to do with regard to handing over money (which, at the moment, appears to be less of an issue anyway).What now?

CRSP's own ad hominem hostility at the very mention of the subject, it seems, is the outing of his character.
    I disagree. It was clear to me that you goaded him into responding angrily. You made false statements and refused to recant, were insulting before he was insulting, and refused to accept any evidence counter to your hypothesis of "CRSP sucks." I'd have been hostile to you, as well, had you done the same to me. Frankly, I think you were being a little bit of a bully - a little bit of a troll, even - and I blame no one for responding to such with less than perfect gentility.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Right. And I just imagined all the personal attacks thrown at me.
    They were pretty mild, especially at first. Just think, if you hadn't gotten all defensive and started lashing out, and instead played it cool when you realized you'd stepped on toes, you and the rest of us could all be enjoying the same collegial spirit we had a few days ago.

Ahh, what might have been.

No one else seems to have noticed this. Perhaps it's not the best line of argument for you to rely on.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Sorry, but that's a no sale. Cap'n was pretty gentle with you. And he's all over the place working on a lot of different things. You, meanwhile, are fixated on a single issue and are hammering at it, blaming everyone — except yourself, of course — for alleged hostilities. I don't think it is his character that is on display here.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Besides, his location says he's in Edinburgh, which is in Scotland. You're lucky he hasn't hunted you down and killed you yet.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

J
    Okay, I mean this in the nicest way, so don't take it harshly. But what kind of failure at life would you have to be to feel some need to deliberately try to create conflict between GB and here? Really, who could possibly have such an empty, pathetic life that they would care? Both boards are fine. Some people went here, some went there, some are hanging out both places, and some are still at the SDMB. Fine. It'll probably shake out in a few weeks, and one or the other will snap up most of the SDMB's old posters, and whichever one it is, it's fine. Or else both will remain and become slightly different niches, and that's fine too.

wow, Failure at life?

Let me stop you at "deliberately trying to create conflict" as i have spent a total of about 5 minutes at Giraffe Boards and don't think i've made a single post (i may have posted in an "explain your username" thread.)
    I actually find most of the drama to be people talking about the drama.
    Sure there are people trying to "create drama" but i think that's mostly them just having chosen a board and trying to convince themselves that they made the "right" choice.
    II was only ever really a lurker at SDMB, and i'll probably mostly lurk at both the splinter boards I'm a member of.

The things you saw in your post indicate that you take these message boards much more seriously than i do, and think they are much more important than they are.
    It's only the internet.

J

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The things you saw in your post indicate that you take these message boards much more seriously than i do, and think they are much more important than they are.
    It's only the internet.
    Which is exactly why you'd have to be a pretty big loser to come over to a message board you don't even post at and get all pissed off because the person running it asked for donations to defray expenses.

Seriously, no one but you and El Cid Viscoso care about shit like this.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It's only the internet.
    Great. Why don't you take your own advice, then, and shut the hell up about stuff you don't even care about? Just a suggestion; feel free to keep spewing your hipocrisy if you feel you must.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Just so we're clear on this, the way donations will be handled at the moment (note the future tense) is quite anonymous, except for me, which I'm fine with. Nobody even has to know which user names gave donations, let alone anyone's real name, unless the board decides they want their individual donation statuses public.

And, frankly, if I am going to have donations filtered through me for now, I should give up a bit of my privacy. I want people to know they aren't donating to Anonymous Poster A and just hoping the money makes it to CRSP to pay the board's bills.

If people don't want me to know their names--and I'll be the only one to know--then they don't have to send checks. Judging by the number of people eager to donate, CRSP won't have to ask for money. He'll just have to give people the go ahead to start sending it.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Ok, to both Excalibre and Q.E.D.. I'm not worked up that CRSP asked for money. It doesn't bother me, i don't think about it when I'm not reading a thread that doesn't address it/
    I'm just saying that we're only a few days in to the life of a message board and the hand was already out asking for money.

Let me stress that I'M NOT HAVING A GO AT YOU, so please don'r get offended and try to insult me.

Excalibre, you called me a loser again in a subtle way, it really didn't offend me because a) You're no one, and you're on a message board, and b) even if you were anyone i knew or cared about, what you said was STILL wrong, it doesn't actually BOTHER me about the money.

I really have nothing more to say.
    This isn't even like a good debate where i think i have a point that needs to be heard, i have really stopped caring about this discussion and don't really care what anyone says in response to this.
    It's such a small issue
    I never asked for opinions, because i really don't care.

(Also if you're going to use my last comments as an excuse to say "Ohh he's trying to back out of the argument!, so I'm gonna post and claim success!" then you can always PM me and we can discuss this further. I honestly think i am done here, and if you have anything further to say, my PM box is always open... Although i will check back here just to see if anyone has claimed victory for me not respoding..)

J

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

As i hit submit i realised i wanted to clarify, in my past post i referred to someone being "a nobody", i wanted to make sure that i wasn't being arrogant, but i thought that relatively, we are all nobodies. You are as much a nobody as i am, and as x-poster is and as y-poster is.
    I wasn't doing a tough guy thing, but saying that no here here means anything more to me that text on a screen, and i don't expect to mean anything more to anyone else.

J

Registered
    Feb 2009

As i hit submit i realised i wanted to clarify, in my past post i referred to someone being "a nobody", i wanted to make sure that i wasn't being arrogant, but i thought that relatively, we are all nobodies. You are as much a nobody as i am, and as x-poster is and as y-poster is.
    I wasn't doing a tough guy thing, but saying that no here here means anything more to me that text on a screen, and i don't expect to mean anything more to anyone else.

J
    (Singing)"You're nobody 'till somebody loves you"
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

+ Reply to thread