+ Reply to thread

Thread: MCDonald's McNuggets and 911

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default MCDonald's McNuggets and 911

It is all over the news. A lady goes to McDonald's and asks for a 10 count McNuggets. She gives them her money, they ring her up. Cashier then discovers the store is out of McNuggets. She asks for her money back. The store refuses. She calls 911.

Now every radio host in America is mocking this lady (she has a thick Black accent) for calling 911. Why?

Someone took her money. She called the police to complain. Maybe she should have called some non-emergency number, but still. If a guy with a knife takes your money, call the police. If a big corporation takes your money you are out of luck.

I do not see where she did too much wrong.
    Just assume that everything I say is sarcastic.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: MCDonald's McNuggets and 911

She did a lot wrong. While she was tying up the 911 operator's time and phone line, someone else could have been dying from a heart attack or suchlike.

It doesn't matter if she is black, white or green--it was stupid. It's also not the only time I've read about idiots using 911 for the wrong reason.

I've accidentally called 911 here in Canada (9 for an outside line, 1 for the start of a long-distance call, glance at my notebook, yes, it's long distance, 1... and there you have it) and the operator who called me back was quite curt with me about it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

At the same time, I'm baffled by what went on at the McDonalds -- first that they'd run completely out of those disgusting McNuggets, and second that they wouldn't immediately give her a refund.

Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello runner pat's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The store policy is all sales are final-no refunds.
    I never realized this would be the case if you received nothing in return.
    "To give anything less than your best is to waste the Gift."
    Steve Prefontaine

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Savannah
    It doesn't matter if she is black, white or green--it was stupid. It's also not the only time I've read about idiots using 911 for the wrong reason.
    I agree with you on the tying up 911 thing, but I really doubt it would get much play if she sounded white and middle class. We love to judge people on how they speak, and I have a feeling the gag wouldn't be as "funny" without her sounding black and, especially, poor.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

This is why everyone should know their local non-emergency police numbers. (Especially LGBTQQIAA people and double-especially those who are out, but that's another issue.) Which reminds me, I better go program mine into my new phone.

Since I'm looking it up anyway, and just in case a San Diegan happens to wander by and think, "Hey, I should know those", here they are:

(858) 484-3154
    (619) 531-2000

They're both 24-hour numbers and they're great for general information, not just reporting crimes and such. For the record, the SDPD asks that people in the 858 area code use the 858 number exclusively. I assume it's because the 619 number gets a lot of traffic.

More info: http://www.sandiego.gov/police/help/non ... cies.shtml

I got there just by typing "SDPD" into Google, so it should be similarly easy to find other non-emergency numbers.
    Every dialect is a language, but not every language is a dialect. - Einar Haugen

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I heard this on the radio this afternoon. I did feel that the woman had no business calling 911 in this instance, but I was rather surprised by the 911 operator's response. She listened politely to this woman for several minutes, and in the end dispatched a police car without any further questions or any signs of hesitation.

I also wondered what the hell was going on with that McDonalds. If they had taken my money, then announced they didn't have the food I ordered, and then refused to give me my money back, I'd be pretty pissed off too!

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I ran into something similar at a McDonald's too, in Gila Bend, Arizona. I was on the road and I was tired so I just put up with it. I bought a McFlurry (hey, I was on the road all day, it was fucking hot, I wanted an ice cream type thing and the M&M one sounded good) and after I ordered and gave the cashier the money, she said, "The machine we use to stir these up is broken, so it's gonna be kinda bad."

Kinda bad? After I paid for it?

Sigh. Some people.
    Every dialect is a language, but not every language is a dialect. - Einar Haugen

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Hostile Dialect
    I ran into something similar at a McDonald's too, in Gila Bend, Arizona. I was on the road and I was tired so I just put up with it. I bought a McFlurry (hey, I was on the road all day, it was fucking hot, I wanted an ice cream type thing and the M&M one sounded good) and after I ordered and gave the cashier the money, she said, "The machine we use to stir these up is broken, so it's gonna be kinda bad."

Kinda bad? After I paid for it?

Sigh. Some people.
    Hey, I've been in Gila Bend! It was 112 F, and that wasn't close to the hottest day of the year there. The family car's air conditioning had broken down, and we spent all afternoon in the town Dairy Queen until the sun went down.

If I'd had the woman's experience (assuming I'd ever order McNuggets), I hope I would have taken the name of the manager and the number of the store, then written a letter to the paper and a letter to McDonalds corporate. Wouldn't call 911, but I can understand why the woman was feeling rage.

Registered
    Feb 2009

(Especially LGBTQQIAA people and double-especially those who are out, but that's another issue.)
    Um, why is it especially important for gay people and whatever the rest of that stuff is to know non emergency police numbers? Seriously, I've thought about this for a few minutes and I can't figure out why. Are they more prone to locking their keys in their cars?
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The woman had her money taken. We have huge (or had) campaigns telling people to call 911. Maybe this lady was not the sharpest tool in the shed, but she needed help and called the people who are supposed to help her. They responded by humiliating her. While certainly it does not matter if she is white, black or green it does seem odd that the one case of 911-abuse* that has included tape of the call was of a person with a stereotypical "Black accent." Pure coincidence I'm sure.

*Since John McCain's brother who called to complain about a drawbridge being up. He is white and the media used the audio tape.
    Just assume that everything I say is sarcastic.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun
    (Especially LGBTQQIAA people and double-especially those who are out, but that's another issue.)
    Um, why is it especially important for gay people and whatever the rest of that stuff is to know non emergency police numbers? Seriously, I've thought about this for a few minutes and I can't figure out why. Are they more prone to locking their keys in their cars?
    Well, I'm LGBTQIROI($#XQND<INCDOISB264NEOTBI and I once locked my keys in my car while it was running. There was no one around, and I was outside some friends' house. It was locked, because they had already left for the play we were seeing. I cut myself pretty badly breaking the window. Of course, the police wouldn't have helped, since my phone was locked in the car too.

But yeah, I wonder how many things like this happen, and don't become famous, because the person in question doesn't sound black. I'm with liberty3701 on this; maybe that lady didn't come off so well in this, but I don't think society does either.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Maybe the poor lady had a kid like mine. If I promised her McNuggets, and she didn't get them, there'd be hell to pay.

(And I'm only slightly kidding.)

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Baldwin
    If I'd had the woman's experience (assuming I'd ever order McNuggets), I hope I would have taken the name of the manager and the number of the store, then written a letter to the paper and a letter to McDonalds corporate. Wouldn't call 911, but I can understand why the woman was feeling rage.
    So if you had your money stolen, you would just walk away and write a letter? Maybe you haven't been poor recently...

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun
    Um, why is it especially important for gay people and whatever the rest of that stuff is to know non emergency police numbers?
    Hate crimes, stalking, harassment, etc.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Baldwin
    So if you had your money stolen, you would just walk away and write a letter? Maybe you haven't been poor recently...
    There have been many times in my life when I didn't have enough money to order those crappy McNuggets in the first place. If they didn't refund my money immediately, I'd make sure they knew the consequences. I just wouldn't call 911.

Although, even though it's easy to make fun of the woman, she was reporting an actual crime. I guess the charge would be fraud.

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I can't quite grasp this. I once bought an apple juice at McDonald's and it was frozen solid. I took it back to the counter and they gave me another one. It was frozen, too. I asked for my money back and I got it. No problem.

The woman shouldn't have called 911, but the store should have given her money back. What earthly reason can they advance for not doing so?

I suppose the poor twerp at the counter "doesn't have the authority" to do that.
    Sophmoric Existentialist

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm the only one here who came into this thread imagining some sort of conspiracy theory between McDonalds and the attack on the Twin Towers, aren't I?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It's my understanding that the store offered her food of a greater value than the McNuggets. I've been poor in the past, and I would have gladly taken that option. Her socioeconomic status is irrelevant, and actually makes her actions more absurd.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

[quote=Santo Rugger]
    Quote Originally posted by "Hostile Dialect":rdjz1rqw
    It's my understanding that the store offered her food of a greater value than the McNuggets. I've been poor in the past, and I would have gladly taken that option. Her socioeconomic status is irrelevant, and actually makes her actions more absurd.[/quote:rdjz1rqw]

OK, then she wasn't poor, and she just really wanted McNuggets. She paid for an item with the understanding that that item was available, and then was refused the item. She should have gotten her money back, but she didn't. That's called fraud and theft.

Americans eat too many Mcnuggets anyway.

Registered
    Mar 2009

If it had been me Mc Donalds would have been the ones calling the cops.

I'm just saying.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by vison
    I can't quite grasp this. I once bought an apple juice at McDonald's and it was frozen solid. I took it back to the counter and they gave me another one. It was frozen, too. I asked for my money back and I got it. No problem.

The woman shouldn't have called 911, but the store should have given her money back. What earthly reason can they advance for not doing so?

I suppose the poor twerp at the counter "doesn't have the authority" to do that.
    During the first 911 call (she called three times) the operator suggests talking to the manager, and the lady said the person who refused to give the refund was the manager. So, the cashier could have don it if she'd wanted to.

I was also surprised that none of the operators told her that she needed to call the non emergency number. They didn't even sound surprised that the 911 call was about food.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

You guys! You guys!

McNuggets are gross.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Boozahol Squid, P.I.
    I'm the only one here who came into this thread imagining some sort of conspiracy theory between McDonalds and the attack on the Twin Towers, aren't I?
    Nope. I'm disappointed. I'm also reminded why I never set foot in McDonalds.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by runner pat
    The store policy is all sales are final-no refunds.
    I never realized this would be the case if you received nothing in return.
    The problem here is that they didn't make a sale. For a sale to be final you have to make a sale.
    "And I hope I don't get born again, 'cuz one time was enough!" -- Mark Sandman

Registered
    Feb 2009

For everyone who wondered but didn't want to hijack...

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, and Allies.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Thanks, FriarTed. I need to stop assuming everyone knows that.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by FriarTed

Should be "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, and Aliens". Why yes, I'm an alien -- or at least the United States government regards me as one.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Boozahol Squid, P.I.
    Nope, that's why I clicked it too.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Wait, so why do people of the alphabet soup persuasion need especially to know this number?

Incidentally, we use the non-emergency number all the time to report noise and other minor-but-annoying violations. For example, we call about the various folks who like to park in the middle of the street in front of the 4-family across the street and honk repeatedly rather than parking at the curb and dragging their lazy asses to knock on the door. One of the joys of living in a mixed-income neighborhood. Tally up enough complaints and the city can evict the occupants. But it's a numbers game, so you have to call every time and have all the neighbors call in too, every time. So I'm happy we don't have to tie up the 911 line and risk that the person having a heart attack can't get through.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Giles
    Quote Originally posted by FriarTed

Should be "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, and Aliens". Why yes, I'm an alien -- or at least the United States government regards me as one.
    Shouldn't T also includes Transsexual?, maybe just being "Trans"?

J (a B)

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by rivulus
    Wait, so why do people of the alphabet soup persuasion need especially to know this number?
    We're always locking themselves out of our apartments and so forth . . . because we're distracted by all the constant sex!

(By "sex" I mean gay sex.)

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Those numbers aren't generally public either, you get a little card with your membership pack.

J

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by rivulus
    Asked and answered above. LGBTQIAetc. people are at a higher risk of falling victim to crime, stalking, harrassment of the non-emergency sort, etc.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

In all the coverage I've seen of this, which has consisted mostly of short mentions and teasers for upcoming stories, the headline and brief clips of the recording only focus on her wanting her damn nuggets. This is the first I've known about the store refusing a refund. That kinda changes things.

It may still not rise to the level of a true emergency, but it's not nearly as frivolous as it's made to seem.
    I do not bite my thumb at you, but I bite my thumb.

+ Reply to thread