+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sweeney Todd is awesome

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Sweeney Todd is awesome

I recently rented the Tim Burton film version of Sweeney Todd, and loved it. I have since bought the complete soundtrack and watched a lot of scenes from the stage version on Youtube. This is without a doubt my favorite musical of all time - I've never been a big fan of them, but I've enjoyed a few - but this is the only one where I like the songs enough to listen to them on their own. Is this anyone else's favorite?

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Sweeney Todd is awesome

I love Sweeney Todd, although to me it was a huge disappointment that Burton removed the main theme (except for a brief orchestral section). I love that song.

It's certainly my favorite musical (I get the feeling that I'm more into musicals than you, although I'm not particularly big on them). It's just got great music, totally memorable.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I've not seen the film, but I have seen Sweeney Todd a number of times. It's my favourite as well.

And I am big time into musicals.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yep, it's one of my "background" movies I like to play while I do housework. I'm not really into musicals, but I like this one and I'd like to see the live show one day.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I was fortunate enough to see the original Broadway production, on Broadway, and it blew me away. (I twigged to the beggar woman about halfway through.) If you get a chance to see a live stage performance, grab it.

Haven't seen the movie yet, and have been wavering on whether I should, or would be disappointed.
    "Dude, your statistical average, which was already in the toilet, just took a plunge into the Earth's mantle." ~ iampunha

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, I haven't seen the stage version but I've seen the movie and I quite enjoyed it. I figure, a little popcorn, a friend or two and a musical makes for a fun night.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by EddyTeddyFreddy
    I was fortunate enough to see the original Broadway production, on Broadway, and it blew me away. (I twigged to the beggar woman about halfway through.) If you get a chance to see a live stage performance, grab it.

Haven't seen the movie yet, and have been wavering on whether I should, or would be disappointed.
    It's fun, it's worth seeing, but it's not terribly faithful.

I'm so used to Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Lovett but she was played by Helena Bonham Carter in a very low-cut dress in the movie. It was weird seeing a Mrs. Lovett that was hot and boobulous rather than matronly.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Indeed, Len Carriou and Angela Lansbury are my firmly established image of those characters. I know others have made their mark in the roles, but those two will always be how I see them.

Sounds as if I should see the movie, but treat it as, perhaps, an "As told to" rather than as a recreation?
    "Dude, your statistical average, which was already in the toilet, just took a plunge into the Earth's mantle." ~ iampunha

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Indeed, Len Carriou and Angela Lansbury are my firmly established image of those characters. I know others have made their mark in the roles, but those two will always be how I see them.

Sounds as if I should see the movie, but treat it as, perhaps, an "As told to" rather than as a recreation?
    It really isn't bad. It's just not the same. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Particularly Sweeney, since I'm not particularly a fan of Johnny Depp and he's not exactly how you imagine Sweeney.

Don't expect much from the singing, though. Burton apparently didn't care about trying to replicate Len Cariou's beautiful voice.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Excalibre

It's fun, it's worth seeing, but it's not terribly faithful.

I'm so used to Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Lovett but she was played by Helena Bonham Carter in a very low-cut dress in the movie. It was weird seeing a Mrs. Lovett that was hot and boobulous rather than matronly.
    My wife and I were discussing how making her younger and attractive changes her character without changing any of the lines. As an older woman, she seems more pitiful and sympathetic - put's more of a 'In love with him despite his murderousness' angle on the relationship - she's an older lady and she doesn't have many chances for love left, so she's willing to accept his serious flaws because she thinks he's the best she could do (this resonates with us because my wife's ex is psychotic and since he left her his only relationships have been with much older women). It also makes her motherly affection for Toby seem more authentic, and much more tragic if you go with the interpretation that he is a mentally challenged adult and not a young child. The absent-mindedness could be explained more by encroaching senility. With the younger Mrs. Lovett, she comes across as MUCH more insane.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Wow, thanks, Exy and Badtz -- what you two have said encourages me to put the movie on my Netflix queue. Much appreciated!

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Wow, thanks, Exy and Badtz -- what you two have said encourages me to put the movie on my Netflix queue. Much appreciated!
    Oh, yeah, if you have Netflix it's definitely worth getting, no question.

We should have a "what's next in your netflix queue" thread.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I am a huge fan of Sweeney Todd. It is the very best musical ever created for the American stage.

I was disappointed in the Burton film. It's good, don't get me wrong, but it could have been so much more. The stage version is a savage, flaying epic. The film is a small, amusing penny dreadful. It's fine for what it is, but it's not the original.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Speaking of the original, while adding Burton's movie to my Netflix queue I came across this 2006 BBC retelling of the story. It's not a do-over of the Broadway musical but their own retelling of the legend. Looks interesting. I've added it to the queue right after the Burton flick.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I just can't see Johnny Depp as Sweeney. Don't make no sense to me.

Len and Angela are pretty irreplaceable, but the recent Broadway version with the cast playing their own instruments was absolutely a joy to watch.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Cool, I was afraid it was a mediocre musical and I only liked it because of it's subject material - like I said, I don't care much, or know much, about musicals. I guess I do have some taste.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I love it! One of my favorite musicals of all time (if not my #1), and the original cast album is one of the best. I don't think anyone can beat Len Cariou as Sweeney, though I've heard several others and I do like George Hearn. I thought the movie was pretty good, though the stage musical is much better. I still enjoyed it very much though. I saw the film on opening night at the Ziegfeld alongside an audience made up mostly of theatre fans, and it was a lot of fun!

+ Reply to thread