+ Reply to thread

Thread: Thinking about getting a French press

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Thinking about getting a French press

I like coffee, but usually only make a cup or two. I gave away my Gevalia drip coffee maker to a co-worker when I quit my job a couple of months ago. I've been surviving on instant coffee since, but would like to do better. So I was thinking about getting a press. Seems like a very simple design; saw some at Target for about $12. (Cylinder with a plunger that has a fine mesh; you steep the coffee with boiling water and press the plunger down, forcing the grounds to the bottom.)

Does anybody use one? Got a couple of questions:

1) Would I have to get a grinder too, or can I buy coffee with a suitable grind? (I understand you need to use a coarse grind, with uniformly large particles so they won't go through the mesh.)

2) How much hassle is it, overall?

3) How's the quality of the beverage, compared to a drip coffee maker?

Thanks, my fellow coffee monkeys.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Thinking about getting a French press

I like mine. I have a cheap Ikea press (Kaffe?) . I grind because I cannot find a suitable grind in stores, but if you go to a coffee shop (around here I use Dunn Brothers) they can grind a pound for you. Don't use store bought regular ground coffee, it lets the pressure build too much and allows the coffee to explode out the top of the press when you press it. :x

I think it is less of a hassle than a drip coffee pot. With those you need to measure the coffee, fill it with water, wait for it to brew (if you don't have a timer), then clean it out. With a press I use an electric kettle and as that is set to boil I grind my coffee, then pour in the boiling water, wait 5-6 minutes and press. Simple. I rinse my press out after using and run it through the dishwasher weekly.

I prefer the taste of pressed coffee over drip. Totally worth it IMHO.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't drink coffee, but I once tasted my husband's cup of French press, and it was without a doubt the smoothest coffee I ever tasted (and it was black, at that). I knew without a doubt that if I were going to drink coffee, that's how I'd have it. I also couldn't imagine buying pre-ground coffee either, but his grinder was somewhere in the $120 range.

(Yes, I'm a non-coffee-drinking coffee snob).

Registered
    Mar 2009

1) I don't think a grinder is required, but you may choose to go that route. I found that pre-ground coffee tends to be ground a little too finely for the French press, so I ended up buying one. If you buy a grinder, bite the bullet and invest in a good quality burr grinder that allows you to adjust the coarse vs. fine. I got a Cuisinart for about $50.

2) I see the French press as no more hassle than the drip coffee maker and maybe slightly easier to clean. (Chuck it in the dishwasher after dumping the grounds in the garden.) I bought a hot water pot because waiting for water to boil + waiting for coffee to steep was about ten minutes too long for me. Now, my water gets hot while I feed the dogs and I only have to wait 5 minutes for the coffee to steep, which is no longer than waiting for the water to drip through on a drip coffeemaker. Usually, the coffee is ready before the dogs are done peeing.

3) For me, the quality is better by an order of magnitude. I can't even drink Starbuck's anymore; it tastes like crap in comparison. My coffee is more like Turkish coffee and, erm... it keeps ya regular.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

yup I have a french press or Freedom Press as I like to call it. Sorry - bad joke.

It is less convenient than my drip coffee pot - but only because that one is programmable. I just put some coffee beans and water in the night before, and when I get ready to walk out the door for work, my coffee is waiting for me freshly ground and brewed.

But on the weekends, I use the French Press. Much richer flavor. It's almost dirty - in a good way. I've used pre-ground coffee. It works, but you just have to go slower with the plunger. Clean up is definitly easier. Dump the grounds and rise out the rest. If I'm going to use it the next day, I'll stop there. If I'm going to put it away for the week I'll throw it in the dishwasher.

Oh, and I use a teapot to heat the water. The whistle is a nice alarm to tell me the water is ready - watched pot and all that.
    Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur
    D'une langueur Monotone

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

We used to use a French press before going to cold-brewed and liked it fine. They're inexpensive compared to, say, a Keurig (about $100+) and really not all that much hassle to use.
    I am not a professional chef, but I dress like one at home.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Thanks, all; I'm gonna give that press a try.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

My friend, Andy Newbom, proprieter of Barefoot Coffee Roasters is a strong proponent of the French Press. Some secrets:

A four minute period of extraction starting with fresh cold filtered water that is just off of the boil will yield superb results. Longer brewing times tend to release undesirable flavor components.

Rinse the press flask and your mug with boiling water so that they are at temperature prior to coming in contact with the coffee. Correct tea brewing involves the same methods for the exact same reasons.

Unless you own a professional grade "mill" type coffee grinder, have your purveyor grind it for you. Proper grinding assures optimal extraction for maximum flavor. Be sure to mention that you use a French press.

Empty the warming liquid from the press and then pour in your ground coffee. Immediately fill with water that is at the correct temperature. Use a wooden stick or spoon to break up the "cap" and ensure thorough mixing of the grounds.

Place the cover on the press and lightly bring the mesh screen into contact with the "cap". I prefer to rinse the mesh screen with some leftover boiling water prior to putting it in place.

After four minutes have elapsed apply a firm but gentle downward pressure to the filter assembly.

Empty the warming liquid from your coffee mug and compose your brew however you like.

Unless you have some compelling reason to drink dark roasted beans, make a point of trying a medium or light roast. The flavor is far more complex and the caffeine level is much higher.

Whereas wine can have over 600 flavor components, coffee often exceeds 1,000 identifiable elements of taste. Andy Newbom holds monthly "cuppings" where he teaches his patrons to taste coffee just like wine is tasted. Attending a few of these gatherings is enlightening to say the least.

Finally, Andy must be doing something right. A while back the trade periodical Food & Wine Magazine declared Barefoot Coffee Roasters to be the number four boutique roaster in America.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Barefoot Coffee Roasters. For my own tastes, they provide the very finest coffee I have ever consumed. I encourage anyone who is interested to visit their website and find out more about premium grade, organic, fair trade coffees.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm another French Press devotee. I've used one for years, and the taste is definitely different from a drip maker. It's a richer and fuller flavor.
    As everyone else has said, it's easy to use and easy to clean.
    You do need a coarser grind than what you would get from pre-ground coffee. Even if you buys beans in the grocery store, use their grinder on the coarse setting.
    I'm not good at the advice. Can I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The only downside I've found with a french press is that the coffee cools too quickly. Traditional drip coffee makers have a burner keeping the coffee hot, often with the disadvantage of burning the coffee. My regular drip pot has no burner but a thermal carafe so the coffee stays toasty warm and yummy. I've got maybe fifteen minutes to empty my french press before it's lukewarm, so we only use it on the weekends when two drinkers can finish a carafe before it's cooled off too much and then we usually wind up making a drip pot to sip leisurely for the rest of the morning.

Still worth having, better flavors and easy to use, but you might want to experiment with smaller batches at a time is all.
    Science flies you to the moon; religion flies you into buildings.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Queen Tonya
    I've got maybe fifteen minutes to empty my french press before it's lukewarm, so we only use it on the weekends when two drinkers can finish a carafe before it's cooled off too much and then we usually wind up making a drip pot to sip leisurely for the rest of the morning.
    Do you use a double-walled french press or one made of glass or one layer of metal?

Registered
    Mar 2009

I use pre-ground because, I still use the atomatic drip when more than just myself will be drinking the coffee. Dunkin Donuts, Folgers Select, & Millstone are coarse enough to use with a press. You will get a little dust at the bottom of the cup, but you can't taste it or feel it in your mouth. Best of all, it makes those brands taste like the overpriced gourmet stuff.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I've used a French press for the last 3 years or so, and I love it. You can use preground coffee in it, but you can get a decent grinder for around $10 and I think it's worth it - preground is a little finer than what you are supposed to use in a press, but it works fine, it's just that the last cup will have a bit more grinds in the bottom than usual. In one of those cheap grinders, I grind for about 10 seconds - 4 seconds, shake, 4 seconds, shake, 2 seconds, put in the press. Pour boiling water in, give it a bit of a stir, and let it sit for 4 minutes. Press, and you have some awesome coffee.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Queen Tonya
    The only downside I've found with a french press is that the coffee cools too quickly. Traditional drip coffee makers have a burner keeping the coffee hot, often with the disadvantage of burning the coffee. My regular drip pot has no burner but a thermal carafe so the coffee stays toasty warm and yummy. I've got maybe fifteen minutes to empty my french press before it's lukewarm, so we only use it on the weekends when two drinkers can finish a carafe before it's cooled off too much and then we usually wind up making a drip pot to sip leisurely for the rest of the morning.
    Why don't you just pour it off into your carafe so it stays hot?
    AKA Shayna from SD

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I have only two complaints about with our French press:

1) It only makes about 2 1/2 mugs worth of coffee.
    2) It's a bit more labor intensive than our drip coffee maker, in that I need to boil water, fill the press, wait, "press" the press, and wait some more. Compared to fill the coffee maker, press the button, and wait for the brew

But it makes better coffee. No doubt about it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I tried a French Press once and wasn't impressed. I guess it's a matter of taste.

There is also a health concern if you drink a lot of it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I have this french press: http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Columbia.../dp/B00005YY9X

It's thermal, metal (so you can't break it) and pretty big. I highly recommend it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Baldwin
    Thanks, all; I'm gonna give that press a try.
    Good deal! I'll go along with the others and state I like me some good French press. But I also have a drip that I tend to use more often than the French press. The results are rather different and I suppose which one I use depends on what mood I'm in. 8-)

Registered
    Mar 2009

I like my french press, but I also like to drink more coffe at a time than it makes - it only furnishes about 2 cups. Quality is definitely an improvement, but it's a minor PITA to clean / prepare. Given my druthers, I'd likely stick to a regular, full-pot drip coffee maker.

Joe

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Suburban Plankton
    I have only two complaints about with our French press:

1) It only makes about 2 1/2 mugs worth of coffee.
    2) It's a bit more labor intensive than our drip coffee maker, in that I need to boil water, fill the press, wait, "press" the press, and wait some more. Compared to fill the coffee maker, press the button, and wait for the brew

But it makes better coffee. No doubt about it.
    You don't have to wait after pressing - you wait (about 4 minutes) between pouring in the water and pressing. It's drinkable immediately after pressing, though I like to put a small piece of ice in it as it's still pretty hot at that point.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Feirefiz
    Do you use a double-walled french press or one made of glass or one layer of metal?
    Single layer of glass, in a metal frame.

Quote Originally posted by Jill
    Why don't you just pour it off into your carafe so it stays hot?
    That has truly never occurred to me, what a brilliantly simple solution.

Also, when are we getting the headsmacking smiley?
    Science flies you to the moon; religion flies you into buildings.

+ Reply to thread