+ Reply to thread

Thread: Quick and Easy Dinner Recipies

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Quick and Easy Dinner Recipies

I have gotten into a serious rut with the after work meals I have been cooking lately, so I was thinking maybe you all could help add a few new items to my quick and easy meals menu plan.

The peramiters.

1) Must be relatively cheep to make (no truffles) and made from groceries that will keep for a minimum of one week before I do the cooking. (I never end up actually going to the grocery store after work like I mean to).

2) Must be able to be preped cooked and served in about 30 minutes OR be able to hang in a crock pot for 10+ hours. Advance prep is ok too as long as it can be made more than one day in advance.

3) Not a must, but it's best if this meal makes for good leftovers so I can have lunch the next day too.

So what do you you think? How can I expand my menu options? Right now I am doing a lot of variations on grilled chicken, a lot of pastas and a lot of salads. Help me expand my horizons.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Quick and Easy Dinner Recipies

Calico beans! They're really easy! Just get a couple of cans of beans like black, pinto, chili, whatever and toss them in a crock pot with some ground beef and bacon. Add brown sugar and vinegar to taste. Let 'em cook for a couple hours like 3-4 but they can always go longer. You can eat with cheese and biscuits or plain. Play around with them! Delish!
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Try a stir fry.

Rice, onion, eggs as a base.

Then any meat of your choice: chicken, prawns, beef etc.

Add any small vegetables of choice, eg. peas

Make a double batch.

Reheat for lunch on the following day.

Only takes about 20 minutes to cook.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Thanks for the ideas. Calico beans sounds like it is a "make on sunday and eat all week" dish to me, but that's totally cool. I need some of those in my back pocket too. Right now I only have some soups in that catagory (though this weekend I was going to take my first shot at home made chili).

Stir Fry sound about perfect CIAS. What do you normally fry in, safflower oil, penut oil? I actually have a wok, but I never use it for actual stir fry. It's probably a good idea to put it to its proper use.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm all about easy cooking--I'm a good cook and I can do complicated recipes but I generally don't really want to! Here's a bunch of my recipes in the SDMB Mumper's Recipe Blog most of which fit your bill just fine--especially the Chicken Seizure Sammiches, Crockpot Carnitas and Cacciatore. Browse the rest of the blog, too, there's a LOT of good stuff in there.
    "And I hope I don't get born again, 'cuz one time was enough!" -- Mark Sandman

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

30 Minute Recipes:

Balsamic Chicken With Mushrooms

Grilled Chicken and Tri-Color Peppers With Chimichurri Sauce

Fusilli With Sausage, Spinach and Peppers

Hellmann's Parmesan Crusted Chicken

Pasta With Tomatoes, Black Olives and Capers

Crock Pot recipes:

Ropa Vieja

Ole Crock Pot Chicken

Creole Dump Chicken

Jammy Chicken

I can't for the life of me figure out why two of those links won't link. Sorry, you'll have to cut 'n' paste. Believe me, they're worth it!
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I pretty much detest Rachel Ray and cringe every time she uses the phrase "EVOO". That being said she has this recipe for Indian soup that is pretty affordable, quick, and delicious.

http://<br /> <a href="http://www.fo...x.html</u></a>

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Thanks everyone. All of these look great and several of them look like things I might be able to try tonight without having to make a grocery run. Perfect!

Registered
    Mar 2009

I made 40 Cloves and a Chicken tonight with some corn and field peas. I forgot to get some crusty bread to go with it, but it is totally delicious.

You either cut up a whole chicken into quarters or have it done at the store for you. Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Brown the chicken pieces on both sides in a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a pan large enough to hold it all and that is oven proof. When it's browned, toss in 40 cloves of peeled garlic, smooshed a bit (you can peel yourself, or buy them already peeled - that's what I do for this recipe) and 10 sprigs of thyme, then pour in 1/2 cup of olive oil. Cover and place the whole thing in the oven for an hour and a half.

I know it takes longer than your parameters, but the majority of time is just the waiting. It is fall of the bone good, and the cooked garlic cloves just melt if you spread them on bread.

It's simple, and fairly cheap. You can use whatever chicken pieces you want and the leftovers are good. I just quarter the chicken and have one quarter per meal.
    Open the airlocks and jettison the penguins!

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Try this one. I sorta made it up (technically, I saw the recipe somewhere, then couldn't find it again when I wanted to make it, so it's partially what I remember from the recipe, and partially improv):

Salsa chicken:
    4 pounds chicken breast (because that's how much chicken we had)
    1 can corn
    1 can black beans
    1 can Great Northern beans
    2 cups salsa
    Spices (garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper, etc.) to taste

Put the chicken breasts in the crock pot (I had to cut them in half first).

Dump in the corn and beans. Pour in the salsa. Add spices.

Cook on low all day.

Stir it when you get home from work and the chicken just falls to pieces by itself.

Serve on tortillas with shredded cheese and sour cream.

(Note: this was my intended recipe. I accidentally grabbed 2 cans of Great Northern Beans out of the pantry, and didn't notice until I was opening the 2nd can, and then I had to throw out the sour cream because it had green spots, but it was still damn good.)
    Wow, WhyNot, you're brilliant! Especially on Thursdays!

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't know how cheap kimchee is in your neck of the woods, but a dish I like to cook can feed a family of four for under $10.

Butakimu-donburi
    One onion
    One box (about 150g) of button mushrooms (those white champagne-cork ones)
    200g of thinly sliced pork
    200g kimchee
    White rice
    Olive oil, about 2 tbsp
    Garlic

- Slice up the onion, the mushrooms and the garlic and brown them in a frying pan with the olive oil. Once golden brown, take them out of the pan and set them aside.
    - Lay the pork in the frying pan and cook it until the pink is gone, then dump in the kimchee and the fried vegetables. Stir everything together.
    - Pour water into the frying pan until most of the food is covered. Turn up the heat and stir everything around the water has boiled off (leave a little behind as 'sauce').
    - Serve over rice.

The water takes the edge off the kimchee while blending its flavor into everything else. The result is slightly spicy, but mild enough that my parents can enjoy it.
    No cage, thank you. I'm a human being.

+ Reply to thread