+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hockey Trade Deadline watch

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Hockey Trade Deadline watch

Anyone a hockey fan here?

I'm reading Puck Daddy's blog now; I almost forgot today was the day! The Wings aren't in the market so I hadn't been paying attention.

Calgary's picked up Olli Jokinen and Jordan Leopold. Those seem to be the biggest moves so far.
    The poster formerly known as Jenaroph

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Hockey Trade Deadline watch

My team started off the day's trading with a move that may solidify its first ever playoff berth. Which is nice.

How is Calgary going to be under the cap after today? They certainly have become a much harder team to play. I would now put them the favorite out of the West.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Howye
    My team started off the day's trading with a move that may solidify its first ever playoff berth. Which is nice.

How is Calgary going to be under the cap after today? They certainly have become a much harder team to play. I would now put them the favorite out of the West.
    Who's your team? Columbus? They've been improving the last few years. I don't know anything about Vermette but his stats look like he's a decent solid player, except he's slumped this season.

As far as Calgary being under the cap after today, I read that there's some shuffling to be done. That's all I know, I have no details.

Not much use here, am I?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yup, Columbus. Vermette may be the partial solution to their problems at center, but I don't know much about him either.

Are the Wings ever really part of deadline day? Seems like they never have any holes to fill or salary to dump because of a bad year. As for Calgary, I am guessing they have to clear some salary off the books. Seems as though this is going to be slow day for trades. The Leafs have yet to do anything, and that should be the only excitement left.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

There've been a number of deadline deals over the years that the Wings took a lot of benefit from. Off the top of my head, last year they picked up Brad Stuart which was a good move. He's been solid and adds some physical play which generally isn't the Wings' strong point. Larry Murphy was a pickup in '97, played extremely well, and they won the Cup and he's a Hall of Famer now.

Chelios was a trade deadline deal back in '99. They picked up Mathieu Schnieder in '03, who played solidly for them for a few years, and that deal is notable in that Sean Avery left Detroit.

Then there's Todd Bertuzzi, but we won't talk about him much. :mrgreen:

Registered
    Mar 2009

Any deal in which Sean Avery leaves is notable.

Seriously, what a waste. He is skilled but has become a complete headcase. When rules are made because of your actions, that is usually a sign help is needed.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The hell of it is, I LIKED Avery in Detroit. He had talent and a go-getter drive and a personality that insisted that you notice him. (He's one of the few players that's ever been willing to discuss what's actually said during the trash talking you see between whistles. Some pretty funny shit sometimes, too.)

Then he left and got...obnoxious. I think leadership guys like Yzerman and Shanahan and Lidstrom kinda kept him in check in Detroit, and it doesn't seem like he's had those emergency brakes on his attitude anywhere else.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hmmm. Looks like we (Canes) got Erik Cole back. Not sure how I feel about that. I was probably one of the few folks who thought his leaving to Edmonton was a good thing for both teams. Also seems we sent Justin Williams to LA. Probably a good move as he has been quite injury prone the last couple of years. We shall see.
    Open the airlocks and jettison the penguins!

Registered
    Mar 2009

I think we should observe a few moments to remember Olaf Kolzig. I like him but surely the hockey gods have frowned.

TO is no place for a goalie.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Sutter said, in no uncertain terms eariler this week, that the Flames were standing pat. So naturally Calgary made the two big moves of the day. Never trust a GM...

I think Leopold is going to be a huge factor for the defense. The Flames didn't really have someone who can effectively move the puck and Leopold provides some help there.

Jokinen gives Calgary a true front line centreman for the first time in a long time which should make the first line way more dangerous, even with Bertuzzi out for the next month following that knee surgery.

If Kipper gets hot at the right time, I think they've just made themselves a legitimate contender for the Cup.

And no, TO is no place for a goalie. Actually, it's no place for any legitimate hockey player. Or humans.
    Hell is other people.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I gotta say, Calgary's looking damn scary right now.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Looks like Erik Cole is happy to be back in Carolina. They came out tonight like gangbusters. 6-1 win over Calgary.

Registered
    Mar 2009

And as an added benefit, my jersey is no longer outdated!

Registered
    Mar 2009

I guess Staal just needed some Cole in his stocking to get fired up about scoring. :mrgreen:
    dogbutler-100% fact free!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by dogbutler
    I guess Staal just needed some Cole in his stocking to get fired up about scoring. :mrgreen:
    Merry Christmas to Us! I pulled in 20 pts last night in the Fantasy League and 16 of those were Canes scorers and 3 were Cam. Hot Damn, looks like we got ourselves a playoff run folks!

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Meanwhile, up in Detroit...

My god, that was painful to watch. And the second time in a week too, to another Central team again no less.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Post delayed due to vacation...

The Sharks got some extra depth with Moen and Huskins, but nothing major. The best part is we only gave up two prospects I haven't heard of and some conditional draft picks. I'm happy with the trade.

Now, their play over the last few weeks? Not so happy about that. I went to a sports bar on Maui for a game, only to see them blow a three-goal lead at home.
    I do not bite my thumb at you, but I bite my thumb.

+ Reply to thread