+ Reply to thread

Thread: Who is the leader of the Republican Party

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Who is the leader of the Republican Party

I don't mean Rush. Who, within the party, is calling the shots? Who decided all the republicans should not vote for the Stim package? Who told Steele and Gengrey to apologize to Rush. Who is steering policy decisions? Does anyone know?
    WTF did I just say?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Who is the leader of the Republican Party

Cthulhu?
    Every dialect is a language, but not every language is a dialect. - Einar Haugen

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't think there really is, at the moment. Sometime in maybe October all their party discipline went up in smoke. Remember what Peggy Noonan said about Sarah Palin? Remember how Michelle Malkin organized that campaign to kick people out of the party if they said mean things about Palin after the election? It's just a whole lot of different people flailing around rudderless.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I think they're pretty rudderless right now. Michael Steele is Chairman of the RNC, but that's really a fundraising and organizing function, not a position of leadership on policy or ideology.

Right now, I think Congressional Pubs are pretty much enslaved by their individual voting constituencies, especially in the House, and their voting constuencies, as sad as it is, really are herded and commanded to a large degree by right wing media demamgogues. They're all afraid of being challenged from the right if they even tell Obama hello. Figuratively speaking, and damn near literally, the leader of the Party is Joe the fucking Plumber right now. The GOP has created a monster it can't control anymore.

On Meet the Press the other day, Mike Murphy was saying...let me see if I can find the exact quote...here it is
    The country is changing. Ronald Reagan won in 1980 with 51% of the vote. We all worship Ronald Reagan. But if that election had been held with the current demographics in America today, Ronald Reagan would have gotten 47 percent of the vote. The math is changing. Anglo vote is 74 percent now not 89. And if we don't modernize conservatism, we are going to have a party of 25 percent of the vote going to Limbaugh rallies, joining every applause line, ripping the furniture up, we're going to be in permanent minority status.
    Murphy is one of the few Republican advisors left who seems to be trying to drag the party away from the ledge. A few months ago, I thought the idea of Sarah Palin being able to win the GOP nomination in 2012 was ridiculous, but now, with the inmates running the asylum over there, nothing would surprise me. Right now, I think leadership of the party is just going to devolve into whoever has the most populist, lockstep appeal to the dittoheads.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Ken S.
    A few months ago, I thought the idea of Sarah Palin being able to win the GOP nomination in 2012 was ridiculous, but now, with the inmates running the asylum over there, nothing would surprise me.
    It may or may not be ridiculous, but you have to admit, it would be completely awesome.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hu is the leader of the Republican Party? No, Hu is the leader of the Communist Party.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Nobody yet. The new leader will show up over the next year or two. If you asked in 2005 who the leader of the Democratic Party was, nobody would have been able to give you an answer - it takes a while for parties to figure out their new direction after losing badly in an election.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by PonderThis
    Hu is the leader of the Republican Party? No, Hu is the leader of the Communist Party.
    I like.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Feb 2009

Republicans See Their Party As Leaderless

Sixty-eight percent (68%) of Republican voters say their party has no clear leader, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey. Another 17% are undecided.
    Democrats have no question who's in charge. Two-thirds of the party's voters (66%) see President Barack Obama as their leader. Nobody else reaches even the five percent (5%) level.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by jali
    Quote Originally posted by PonderThis
    I like.
    Haven't you seen this?
    "Called Spock out on being emotionally frustrated. He launched into a ten minute reasoning of why my face is logically unappealing. FML" FMLmccoy

"I spent most of my teen years loving my body, of course it was tough love." Fry Futurama

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by [Undecided
    Adrian]Haven't you seen this?
    It was originally an Abbott and Costello routine called "Who's on First".

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

So is Abbott or Costello the leader of the GOP?
    I do not bite my thumb at you, but I bite my thumb.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by garygnu
    So is Abbott or Costello the leader of the GOP?
    No, both Tony Abbott and Peter Costello want to be the leader of the Australian Liberal Party.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Liberal Party? Of course it has to be upside down down there.
    I do not bite my thumb at you, but I bite my thumb.

+ Reply to thread