+ Reply to thread

Thread: Q about malware and internet browsers (Safari/Firefox)

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Q about malware and internet browsers (Safari/Firefox)

The details follow, but in brief my question is: there seems to be a malware-related problem accessing my employer's website via Safari. Internet Explorer and Firefox aren't affected. Should I push for solving this problem, or do so few people use Safari that it does not matter?

Boring details follow:
    This morning I signed on to my organization's website, and got that infamous malware box that says 'warning: visiting this site may harm your computer." I guess this means that someone has embedded frames into our site that contain malware, but I'm essentially computer illiterate at this level.

I e-mailed our IT guy about the problem. He wrote back that Google safe browsing diagnostic shows zero infected files on our website. He added that maybe [two people in our communications division that deal with our web hosting company] would want to contact the hoster just to check.

One of those two has not responded. The other emailed me saying "I opened the website and it was fine."

Subsequent research on my part reveals that if I open up the site in Safari, I get the malware box. If I open in Firefox, all is well.

Technical people: is this trivia I should not bother myself over, or is this a problem that should be solved? Thanks in advance for all insights.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Q about malware and internet browsers (Safari/Firefox)

Quote Originally posted by CairoCarol
    Should I push for solving this problem, or do so few people use Safari that it does not matter?
    Safari is the most popular browser on Macs, although to my knowledge it's still in the single digit percent range overall.

It's popular enough that I would think you'd want to fix it. I typically test webpages I make in Safari. For one thing, since it's the default browser in MacOS, a substantial number of Safari users might not have a backup browser, whereas with, say, Firefox, although it's a lot more popular than Safari, its users typically have access to IE if things don't work.

From what you say it doesn't sound like it totally breaks the website, but I would think making your website look unprofessional to every Mac user out there is a pretty bad thing.

+ Reply to thread