+ Reply to thread

Thread: Common, pet-safe houseplants?

XJETGIRLX

Default Common, pet-safe houseplants?

Ok, I already know there are a gazillion places online where I can find a comprehensive list of what plants are and are not toxic to pets. But, I don't want to spend time wading through all those lists to figure out which of those are good houseplants, and if they are common, or whether I could even find them locally.

So, can anyone give me recommendations for common household plants (e.g., something I could probably find at Lowe's or my local home garden center) that won't hurt my cats if they happen to get into them? I live in Florida, so we can grow pretty much anything around here.

Thanks!

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Common, pet-safe houseplants?

[mod boots ON]Moved at the request of the OP, just to the Polling Booth.[mod boots OFF]
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

Registered
    Mar 2009

I have a pothos and it has never my cats when they take a nibble (or a whole stem). Asparagus fern hasn't hurt them either. Both are hearty (and easy to find) and grow well here in the dry ass desert, so they would do great in Florida.

XJETGIRLX

Ooh, thanks. I think I have some asparagus fern in my front yard I could transplant, actually.

What about small trees or tree-like plants? I'd like something large and vertical to put in a corner in my kitchen.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I have two different types that I have been able to keep over the years with my cats - sanseveria (aka snake plant or mother-in law's tongue) and jade plant. I have about 3 or 4 of each and the cats can't kill them, and they can't kill the cats. The thicker leaves on these plants don't show as much tooth damage as some thinner leaved plants, thought my smallest jade has some very ugly leaf edges from chewing.

Another option may be a taller draceana. Some plant lists do list these as toxic to cats, and some say they're safe. My cats have nibbled the leaf edges with no ill effects. You can buy them tall enough ($$$) that the cats can't reach the leaves unless they are very acrobatic.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by XJETGIRLX
    Ooh, thanks. I think I have some asparagus fern in my front yard I could transplant, actually.

What about small trees or tree-like plants? I'd like something large and vertical to put in a corner in my kitchen.
    You could try something like a ficus. I had an indoor ficus tree in the past, the cats never got sick from chowing on the leaves. It died because I over water/under water everything that isn't a cactus.

+ Reply to thread