+ Reply to thread

Thread: Are liberals going to be the new patriots now? (US)

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Are liberals going to be the new patriots now? (US)

'Cause that will be weird.
    Every dialect is a language, but not every language is a dialect. - Einar Haugen

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Are liberals going to be the new patriots now? (US)

Depends on how you define "patriot." If by patriot, you mean the dictionary definition, then liberals were always patriots.

On the other hand, if you mean the Republican definition of patriot, which would be something like "My country, right or wrong, love it or leave it," then the answer is "Jesus, I hope not."
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Hostile Dialect
    I take serious issue with this bullshit. I served 23 years in the military and six years with the Department of State overseas. Stuff "patriot" up your ass.
    I am not a professional chef, but I dress like one at home.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Hostile Dialect
    I think it's on you to establish that liberals haven't been patriots so far - and I also think you'll have a hard time making that argument.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Liberals are clearly much more patriotic than the few remaining republicans, who (at least judging by their most vocal representatives) are apparently all hoping very hard that the US economy collapses. Better everyone loses than that everyone wins but it gets chalked up to your opponent, right?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

One of the biggest dumbshit moves the GOP made since 2001 was to question the patriotism of those that dared to oppose their policies. I've opposed Bush since 2003. Always objected to invading Iraq, warantless wiretapping, the Patriot Act, the abuse of "National Security Letters. etc. My patriotism has never wavered. I served my hitch in the military, and I was proud to do it. If Red Dawn ever goes down, I'll be out in the woods with anybody willing to fight...Lefty, Righty, Middy, Gay, Straight, Any Race, Any religion. Sometimes my country, or the leaders thereof, do dumb things. When they do, it is my duty as a patriot to oppose those things.
    Valete,
    Vox Imperatoris

Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
    Blümchen—My Avatar
    Last.fm Pandora Political Compass
    Mentes Liberae et Mercat?s Liberi

+ Reply to thread