+ Reply to thread

Thread: Are Driver's (Learning) Permits Valid In Other States?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Are Driver's (Learning) Permits Valid In Other States?

Just occurred to me that my son will have his permit - but not his license - in time for our road trip to New York this summer. Which means we'll have a lot of highway miles on I-90 for him to practice on. Is his Illinois permit going to be okay in Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York? What limitations (for example, nighttime driving) or rules apply - the state we're in or Illinois'?
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Are Driver's (Learning) Permits Valid In Other States?

I haven't a clue. But this page may help.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Are Driver's (Learning) Permits Valid In Other States?

Per PA regulations, the permit holder must be accompanied by a senior licensed operator, and is subject to equal restrictions of the state issuing the learning permit, in your case, Illinois. For example, if Illinois prohibits operation between 11PM and 5AM, then the same applies in PA. For other states, I'd suggest a call to the appropriate authority.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison

+ Reply to thread