+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why do I set off store alarms?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Why do I set off store alarms?

To preface this question, no I am not stealing anything

I notice that about half the time I go to Walgreens, I either set off the alarms in the way in or out. What could I be carrying that would set off the alarms if I'm not stealing? Items previously bought there that were already scanned? Other barcodes like the one on my keys to get into my gym? Something in my clothes, like imbedded or sewed in barcodes like my Gap jeans sometimes have? Any electronics I carry?

I know I'm not stealing but it makes me look like a jackass when I leave Walgreens and I make the sensors go off. I've always gotten waved through but one day I may not. Or is it just those sensors suck and just like me for some reason?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Why do I set off store alarms?

Yeah, you have a security tag inside of something you're wearing. The same thing was happening to me with a certain sport coat that I owned. The plastic security tag was stuck in the upper sleeve of the damned thing for some reason.

The plus side is that after the alarm goes off for the 100th time they stop paying attention to you and you can steal damned near anything you want with total impunity.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hummmmmmmmmmmm thunkin......
    No job is too hard for the person who does not have to do it.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

What I had this problem, the culprit was a security sticker in my wallet.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The security card I had to swipe to get into work used to set some store alarms off.
    Science flies you to the moon; religion flies you into buildings.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I set off a pharmacy's door scanner with the sewn-in security tag that I'd neglected to remove from my (legal, purchased) pants from Old Navy.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I've had this happen because of secutiy tags on shoes and in a calculator I happened to have with me. If they have a wand, they can figure out exactly where it's coming from, and I think they can disable it.
    BB Rodriguez, formerly known as masterofnone

Registered
    Mar 2009

Thank you for all those quick answers. I think it might be something in my jeans, because the guy wears jeans from the same store as me and it happens to him too when we go to Walgreens. And I know they sew in extra security because I had a pair with a huge tag inside I didn't notice until the corner of it stabbed my leg one day, and it said "security tag, cut off"

Wonder why it doesn't seem to happen at other places with sensors like that, like Target, Best Buy, etc?

Registered
    Feb 2009

If you have an evil and/or mischievous friend, they might have placed a tag inside something you would carry most of the time...purse, wallet, shoes. Uh, not that I would ever do anything like that, you know. :twisted:

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I had a green purse that I bought at Ricki's. It set off the alarm when I walked into a Canadian Tire; a CSR deactivated if for me and I went through the gate again with no alarm. I squeezed and groped every square inch of that damn looking for the hidden tag with no success. Some time later, I set off the alarm walking into a WalMart. The third deactivation seems to be the charm.

We still blame the green purse whenever we're driving and hit an inordinate amount of red lights.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth - Marcus Aurelius

+ Reply to thread