+ Reply to thread

Thread: Deaf Folks and Feeling Music

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Deaf Folks and Feeling Music

I posted a line from Back to the Future on my Facebook page, and my almost 100% deaf cousin responded, "Great movie!"

Now, it's no surprise to me that deaf people can thoroughly enjoy movies (he's also a lip reader and he says if he watches a movie without subtitles, he can usually pick up about 40-50% of the dialogue), but part of the movie experience for me that I always immensely enjoy is a fantastic score.

It occurred to me, that my cousin has never heard the score to BTTF. It's as much a part of the movie to me as the Delorean is, and I can't even think of the film without humming the theme. The same with Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws, etc.

I suppose I could just ask him, and I may next time I see him, but can fully deaf people "feel" the music if loud enough, and get a sense of a tune from that by pure vibration through their bodies? If so, is it enjoyable? I know I can feel the thump of the base in my body, but what about ever higher frequencies?

I'm just wondering if my cousin is capable in enjoying that aspect of a movie, if only in part?
    ????

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Deaf Folks and Feeling Music

IIRC, that was an aspect of the 1986 movie Children of a Lesser God, starring William Hurt. Hurt's character was a teacher at a school for the deaf, and he'd put music on and crank it up.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by danceswithcats
    IIRC, that was an aspect of the 1986 movie Children of a Lesser God, starring William Hurt. Hurt's character was a teacher at a school for the deaf, and he'd put music on and crank it up.
    Interesting, I've never seen that movie, but I've always meant to check it out. What's the veracity of how it's portrayed in the film though?
    ????

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It came across (to me, at least) as quite genuine and believable. I'd give it a watch. Videohound's Movie guide gives it 3 1/2 bones out of a possible 4.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by ivan astikov
    Damn fascinating. I'll have to check that out too.
    ????

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Touch the Sound is an excellent documentary on this subject. Percussionist and composer Evelyn Glennie (profoundly, though not completely, deaf) claims to have become extremely skilled in distinguishing sounds by feel. Her music is quite good, in any case.

No cage, thank you. I'm a human being.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Thanks, sublight!
    ????

+ Reply to thread