+ Reply to thread

Thread: snarkpit question

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default snarkpit question

Yeah, I read it...

Is S2 real? Most of the time it seems like a giant joke played on the stupid (by the stupid), but every now and then...
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When all you have is a bowel disruptor, everything's a poop joke.
    www.CuriouslyLydean.net - comics, cocktails, writing, and other odd things.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: snarkpit question

I am extremely late usually on the off-boards/sites and the gossip, and only found the SnarkPit recently. I read a few threads on there and have been wondering the same thing as you.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The thing that bothers me is that apparently a lot of dopers who are soft and snuggly on the dope go there to be mean jerks about the some people they cuddle on the SDMB. That way they can maintain their nice reputation and still get their jollies. That kind of two-facedness disturbs me.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Inner Stickler
    The thing that bothers me is that apparently a lot of dopers who are soft and snuggly on the dope go there to be mean jerks about the some people they cuddle on the SDMB. That way they can maintain their nice reputation and still get their jollies. That kind of two-facedness disturbs me.
    Ew. That does seem pretty nasty.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The snarkpit was a lot funnier two years ago. There was really some good stuff.

S2 isn't real.

S3 though....

Registered
    Feb 2009

The Snackpit has been a joke for the last few years. It used to be witty, snarky and funny. Now it's just children posting "No, u." back and forth at each other.

S2 is imaginary, and their desperate attempt to make themselves somehow "special."
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

There are really two snark boards. The Snarkpit Deadjournal that everyone knows and loves, and then the Snark Science Society page run by the ever friendly CarnalK here: http://cloudhelmut.4t.com

Not much added to that one in a while though.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I've been directed to the Snarkpit a couple of times by people eager to let me know I'd been mentioned (I'm a crazy cunt, apparently :mrgreen: ). I was aware of it's existence before that, and based on the whole "board that shall not be named" meme on SDMB, I found it terribly disappointing.

What's S2 (ostensibly)?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by silenus
    The Snackpit has been a joke for the last few years. It used to be witty, snarky and funny. Now it's just children posting "No, u." back and forth at each other.

S2 is imaginary, and their desperate attempt to make themselves somehow "special."
    Exactly. Reading some of the old threads, it used to be real snark, and pretty funny, at that. Now, it's filled with trolls and others who've been banned from the SDMB yet can't seem to let it go. Also, it's pretty much an open secret that some of the SDMB staff at least read it, and from comments there over the past few days, I think there's at least one current admin that posts there.

DianaG, S2 is supposed to be the super secret snark board. It's an inside joke, there.
    Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur
    D'une langueur Monotone

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, back when I was a member of the SDMB, I joined the snackpit because it wasn't so freaking cuddly all the time. No one could really accuse me of being two-faced (I attached my name to my snackpit posts, and I wasn't cuddly anyway). But the fact that the overall vibe on the SDMB shifted, over time, to being extremely sweet and cuddly doesn't mean that everyone liked it. I hung out there in spite of that.

I guess my point is that the fact that they had two different vibes doesn't mean that individual people were being cuddly one minute and cruel the next.

Registered
    Feb 2009

So does anybody else just read it looking for stuff about themselves? Yes, I'm immature.

(quick reply! yay!)
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When all you have is a bowel disruptor, everything's a poop joke.

Registered
    Feb 2009

On occasion. But I usually fly under the radar of that place. Nothing I post is that controversial or inflammatory. Or stupid, thank Ghu.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It's also been a genuinely useful outlet during periods of upheaval at the Dope.

The two-faced thing -- meh. If someone's pulling that off, they must have a LOT of energy to burn. Why bother.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Excalibre
    I guess my point is that the fact that they had two different vibes doesn't mean that individual people were being cuddly one minute and cruel the next.
    The impression I got was that that's exactly what people do. Post in MPSIMS and be all fluffy and then hop on over to the snarkpit and kick the person they were just sending (((hugs))) to. Maybe I'm wrong. I've spent maybe an hour at the snarkpit.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

[quote=Inner Stickler]
    Quote Originally posted by "Inner Stickler":3vmk25vz
    The impression I got was that that's exactly what people do. Post in MPSIMS and be all fluffy and then hop on over to the snarkpit and kick the person they were just sending (((hugs))) to. Maybe I'm wrong. I've spent maybe an hour at the snarkpit.[/quote:3vmk25vz]
    I'm sure some people do that, I just also have a strong suspicion that there were plenty of other people besides me at the snackpit who weren't at all cuddly on the SDMB.

XJETGIRLX

[quote=Inner Stickler]
    Quote Originally posted by "Inner Stickler":2d1dyzyf
    The impression I got was that that's exactly what people do. Post in MPSIMS and be all fluffy and then hop on over to the snarkpit and kick the person they were just sending (((hugs))) to. Maybe I'm wrong. I've spent maybe an hour at the snarkpit.[/quote:2d1dyzyf]

It seems equally as likely to me that the bashing posts are unrelated to the hugs posts. Some people just don't like other people, and the snark boards give them the opportunity to vent. And if anyone here is surprised that people could be two-faced, snarky, vindictive, or just superficially mean - welcome to the real world.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun
    There are really two snark boards. The Snarkpit Deadjournal that everyone knows and loves, and then the Snark Science Society page run by the ever friendly CarnalK here: http://cloudhelmut.4t.com
    Speaking of, I found myself over the past weekend idly wondering if Cloudy would show up here...
    This message brought to you by NinetyWt, the Queen of Lubricants™.

Registered
    Mar 2009

The SDMB LiveJournal page -- seriously, do people outside of Russia even still use LiveJournal? -- is often quite snarky, and it's not anonymous. It's not updated all that frequently, though.

I be an retarded Zombies! At the Window!'s avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Thank god someone asked this question. I've been wondering about S2 for months.

I love dipping into the snackpit and seeing what's got the nonnys all a-flutter of late. It's led to some interesting threads in the past.
    Aka: Sierra Indigo

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by elmwood
    The SDMB LiveJournal page -- seriously, do people outside of Russia even still use LiveJournal? -- is often quite snarky, and it's not anonymous. It's not updated all that frequently, though.
    I do. I update fairly regularly. I have fifteen or so friends that update, plus a number of communities.

+ Reply to thread