+ Reply to thread

Thread: Would a viable third party improve US governance?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Would a viable third party improve US governance?

During my lifetime, Third Party candidates (for national office) have at best been spoilers (e.g., Perot in 1992; Nader in 2000).

But if a third party -- Green Party, Libertarian Party, or what have you -- took a significant number of seats in the House and/or Senate, so that no party had a majority, and they all had comparable levels of clout, how would that change politics in America? Would it be more or less likely that significant policy changes could be effected?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Would a viable party improve US governance?

Nuts! CRSP, could you get the thread title changed to "Would a viable third party improve US governance?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Would a viable third party improve US governance?

A viable third party would totally reshape American politics, if for no other reason than the states would all have had to rewrite their laws to move away from "Winner take all" for electors. That has to happen first. Otherwise a third party really doesn't stand a chance.

Were it to happen, I would see it happening like this: A splinter party gets established with a few major names associated with it. It grows in regional popularity until it can take control or seriously influence a few states. In the State legislatures, the rules are changed for Presidential elections. That makes the next election more of a dog fight. More and more states jump on the bandwagon as the third party gains in popularity. Eventually every state gives proportional electors, and we move towards a more parliamentary Congress.

I would also like a pony.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Would a viable third party improve US governance?

Quote Originally posted by silenus
    A splinter party gets established with a few major names associated with it. It grows in regional popularity until it can take control or seriously influence a few states.
    Ah, the ol Domebo approach then.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

+ Reply to thread