+ Reply to thread

Thread: Get that planet out of here

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Get that planet out of here

Let's say we really need to move the Earth closer to, or further away from, the Sun. What's a good way to do that? (Either with technology that exists today, or a direct development of existing technology.)

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Get that planet out of here

There was a paper some years ago that detailed how to nudge an asteroid into slingshot orbits between here and Jupiter to give the Earth repeated gravity tugs. http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/as ... -orbit.htm

Pretty simple, actually, and quite possible with today's technology. Takes some time though. Okay, and we may lose the moon. And accidentally destroy most life on Earth. Still cool.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Yocto
    There was a paper some years ago that detailed how to nudge an asteroid into slingshot orbits between here and Jupiter to give the Earth repeated gravity tugs. http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/as ... -orbit.htm

Pretty simple, actually, and quite possible with today's technology. Takes some time though. Okay, and we may lose the moon. And accidentally destroy most life on Earth. Still cool.
    About that Moon -- what if we put a shitload of radioactive waste up there, and put Martin Landau in charge of it . . . .

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I also read somewhere, that we could use the moon as a gravitational tug-boat. It would take hundreds or thousands of years of effort, but you could set up a HUGE amount of HUGE boosters on the moon, and if you can find a way to convert its matter into energy, you could very slowly move it away from the sun, tugging the earth with it.

Not sure if I got all that right, but I think that was the idea. Wish I had a link, but I read that a few years ago.
    ????

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'd also like to add that no matter how technologically advanced we get, I think it would be essentially impossible to move the earth in any reasonable amount of time, without completely destroying it. If we have the capacity to move planets, we probably have the capacity for interstellar travel. Probably best to just find a new home somewhere else.

Of course, we could always just use Archimedes method. Anybody know of a firm place to stand?
    ????

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by cmyk
    I also read somewhere, that we could use the moon as a gravitational tug-boat. It would take hundreds or thousands of years of effort, but you could set up a HUGE amount of HUGE boosters on the moon, and if you can find a way to convert its matter into energy, you could very slowly move it away from the sun, tugging the earth with it.

Not sure if I got all that right, but I think that was the idea. Wish I had a link, but I read that a few years ago.
    The problem with this is that you'd need to generate enough thrust to allow the exhaust to escape the Moon's sphere of influence (otherwise it will just oscillate forward and in the same orbit) but the same forces will apply shearing stresses that will probably cause the Moon to fragment; this is probably not a practical plan. You could possibly use one of the smaller gas giants by balancing a thruster on the gaseous atmosphere and siphoning it off for propellant (suggested in the Larry Niven novel A World Out Of Time), but not with anything like conventional technology.

If you have the technical ability and energy resources to move worlds, you probably have the ability to build and maintain large artificial habitats.

Stranger
    Some people just aren't happy unless the world is about to come to a bloody and fiery end.- Diana

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, the big problem moving the Earth would be the effect ON the Earth.

Earthquakes, Volcanos, Tidal Waves, blah, blah, blah.

Excuse me if I'd rather be somewhere else during the process.
    I reserve the right to be bothered by things that don't faze you,
    and to cheerfully ignore things that bug the shit out of you.
    I am not you.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by cmyk

Well, since the Moon has no atmosphere, people have long speculated about setting up big ol' mass drivers on the surface and shooting Lunar material into orbit to act as construction material. I don't see why you couldn't pump that baby up to Lunar escape velocity, something like a mile and a half a second.

Wait a sec -- you'd need the ejected material to escape from the Earth-Moon system, so I guess you'd need Earth escape velocity, about seven miles a second. (Actually, I'm pretty sure it's more complicated than that, but I forgot to get a degree in celestial mechanics.)

In any case, as you noted, it'd take a long time.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, you could always just move it one truckload at a time.

:mrgreen:
    ????

Registered
    Feb 2009

Just get Ceti Alpha VI to explode.

+ Reply to thread