+ Reply to thread

Thread: Who here is silly? *raises hand*

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Who here is silly? *raises hand*

Life is too Deep lately. Serious events, serious decisions, serious thoughts. I've been spewing my angst all over the boards over the past few weeks... but this is not the real me. So I'm going to take a few moments to get in touch with my ''inner self.'' Feel free to participate.

First of all, my user icon makes me giggle every time I look at it. It never gets old. I've posted it as my desktop background and now every day when I come home from work, it's waiting for me with an enormous widescreen smile. It's a very happy sea slug. I LOVE sea slugs. I love anything squishy and floppy and slimy, particularly if it lives in the ocean. Tentacles? Bring 'em on! Cthulhu makes me squee like a 10 year old girl. The Squid and The Octopus are among my closest friends.

When I rise in the morning, if I'm tired, I tell my husband I'm feeling ''sluggish'' and put my fingers on either side of my head and waggle them to approximate antennae. I usually writhe around and make slug-like slurping sounds as I fall off the bed (this was inspired by the master of Imagination, Sir Calvin of Calvin and Hobbes infamy.)

Sometimes I throw a blanket over my head and pretend I'm an amoeba. ''I'm an amoeba!'' I say. ''Mwwwwaaaap! Feel my cilia.''
    My husband replies, ''You're very silly-a.''

One of my all-time favorite movies is Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. I can watch it over and over and never get bored. Not only because I love bugs, but because I love the ohmu. Ohmu, for those unfortunate souls who haven't seen the film, are like giant potato bugs the size of houses. And they swim, too! Also they love the earth. Don't even get me started about the ohmu.

I wear colorful socks with prints of cows and kittens and piggies on them. I usually make sure I'm wearing two completely different animal socks before I go to work... the more mismatched the better. They're under my trousers... nobody has to know but me. You've gotta stick it to the man somehow!

I have always been this way. When I was in fourth grade, they said, ''It's just a phase.'' When I was in high school, they said, ''Most kids outgrow this by adulthood.'' When I started dating my husband at 19, he said, ''The most interesting thing will be when our children start to realize you weren't just humoring them.'' This Wednesday I'm going to turn 26. The other day I turned to him and said, ''I'm not going to change, am I?''

''No.''

''Good. I very much look forward to being able to enjoy my wrinkliness someday.'' (I like wrinkles too.)

Whew. That feels better. How about you?
    An olivesmarch4th has-been.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Who here is silly? *raises hand*

I am not silly.

I am stern, taciturn, and I've got speed to burn.
    Or maybe I live in an urn, and once tried to smoke a fern.
    Valete,
    Vox Imperatoris

Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
    Blümchen—My Avatar
    Last.fm Pandora Political Compass
    Mentes Liberae et Mercat?s Liberi

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I think this makes perfect sense, of course, but my beloved insists it's silly.

We have some tupperware nukable divided lunch plates, like this.

I use them to pack lunches for the boyfriend and myself, and indicate which is his by placing the lid on with the tab jutting out, my lid gets aligned with the handle so there's no jutting. Cuz he's a boy and he's got an outie, but I've got an innie, so you can tell at a glance which one to grab. Perfect sense, but he persists with the chortling in my general direction. Hmpf!
    Science flies you to the moon; religion flies you into buildings.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I am terribly silly. I put random objects on my head. I launch myself at people while exclaiming "Tickle Monster!" I spend large chunks of time examining objects from new perspectives. I hate being serious and try to avoid it if at all possible. And I stole your amoeba shtick a long time ago. I'm working on some other people so that we can have amoeba races up and down the dorm.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I play with numbers. A lot. A lot a lot. My mom and I used to play the prime game, where we'd alternate naming consecutive primes. Nowadays I deal with political numbers and history more, but it's all the same. Also, I love pictures of sleepy little animals, including humans.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Inner Stickler
    I am terribly silly. I put random objects on my head. I launch myself at people while exclaiming "Tickle Monster!" I spend large chunks of time examining objects from new perspectives. I hate being serious and try to avoid it if at all possible. And I stole your amoeba shtick a long time ago. I'm working on some other people so that we can have amoeba races up and down the dorm.
    This reminds me of when we had a dorm-hall Halloween contest. We decided to set everything up as if we were a haunted mental asylum. When our Judges appeared I did my amoeba shtick with the added twist of ''devouring'' their feet with my blanket and forcing them to drag me halfway down the hall. Creeped them right the fuck out. We got first prize.

I'm so glad I'm not the only silly person here. I pretend my husband has guinea pigs living in his hair. This is because he has curly hair and soft ears and otherwise looks very much like a guinea pig (if you squint your eyes just right.) And I have a photograph of him with a guinea pig on his head, so I have to remind him of this at every instance. Even my loves ones think I'm weird. I'm cool with that. I couldn't be anyone else.
    An olivesmarch4th has-been.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Captain Carrot
    I play with numbers. A lot. A lot a lot. My mom and I used to play the prime game, where we'd alternate naming consecutive primes. Nowadays I deal with political numbers and history more, but it's all the same. Also, I love pictures of sleepy little animals, including humans.
    Today is a square root day! 3/3/09
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Mar 2009

Silly?

Me?

Last night we ended up laughing so hard I had to leave the room to change my panties.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Silly? Dear me, no. I'm much to old for that. They call it eccentric when you are still doing silly things at my age.

BTW, I love your happy sea slug photo!
    Open the airlocks and jettison the penguins!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Silly? Silly is my middle name. Seriously, Cluricaun Silly. My mother drank heavily during the pregnancy.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'll see your hand, and raise you two feet and a pancreas.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm cynical and pessimistic. But, I am also silly.
    Nothing is impossible! Not if you can imagine it. That's what being a scientist is all about!

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

My husband of 20 years insists I'm silly. I don't believe him. It's not that I think he'd ever intentionally lie to me, I just think he's off-base on this one.

An example of my behavior that he calls silly? A while back, we were in Costco, and were in the aisle where they sell sauces/condiments/etc. and saw some "Extra Virgin Olive Oil". He started it by saying "How do they know the olives are virgins?" and I replied "Easy; they've still got their pimentos".

For comments like this, he accuses me of silliness.

Am not.
    Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I am NOT silly. I'm a serious-impaired American.

+ Reply to thread