+ Reply to thread

Thread: Webcomics You Read

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Webcomics You Read

What webcomics do you read?

Sluggy Freelance: Two guys and a lot of interdimensional trouble. I've been reading this one since 2002-ish. By now I just want to see how it ends. Sluggy passed its peak a long time ago, but it still has its moments.

Penny and Aggie: From the writer of Fans!. High school drama, sort of.

XCKD: Nerdy.

A Simple Apology: Simple Apology rarely updates anymore, which is a shame. It was sheer randomness.

Freefall: Sci-fi comic with a klepto alien captain, a robot with the maturity of a 3 year old, and an anthropomorphic wolf engineer. Again I just want to know how it'll end! (Will it ever?)

Order of the Stick: Much more than a D&D comic.

Lackadaisy Cats: Prohibition-era anthropomorphic cats. Beautiful, beautiful artwork.

Raine Dog: From the author of Ozy & Millie, just beginning.. not sure if I'll continue reading.

Count Your Sheep: Adorable comic about a girl, her single mother, and their Counting Sheep.

Questionable Content: I think I continue reading out of habit nowadays.
    "There are no ordinary people. ... It is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit." C.S. Lewis

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Webcomics You Read

Skinhorse by Shaenon Garrity (author of Narbonic) and Jeffy Channing Wells

And Shine Heaven Now The Hellsing fanwebcomic. Funny, lots of crossovers, funny.

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire Dominic Deegan and his friends have faced violent knights, murderous witches, incompetent thieves, furry sea monsters, angry mobs, magical slimes, flesh-eating demon lords, the blight of the undead, and mood swings. Their adventures have only just begun.

Narbonic Mad Science and gerbils. Funny. Now on Director's Cut (which is why it's here instead of in finished)

Irregular Webcomic Lego webcomic with a number of storylines including pirates, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Death, and Mythbusters. Just read it. Also read Darth & Droids, which is on the same site and is Star Wars as if it was created in a RPG game.

Misfile - It follows Ash Upton, a boy turned into a girl by a mistake made in a celestial filing department; Emily McArthur, a studious girl who just lost two years of her life and her acceptance into Harvard in the same filing accident, and Rumisiel, the pot-smoking angel who caused the whole thing and is now exiled to earth.

Goats From Comixpedia: "Goats follows the (loose) plot of Rosenberg's cartoon alter ego, along with his friend/drinking buddy Phillip, and a loose group of characters in the form of animals, celebrities, space aliens and evil villains. Although each story arc technically has a plot, the sheer random nature of these plots tends to obscure that fact at times."

Thunderstruck From Comixpedia: "An ongoing tale centered around a pair of exceptional sisters, whose past and future are far stranger than either of them has imagined. As the mysteries surrounding these two unfold, so too will the dangers and adventures they face." Sharon was paralysed from the waist down until she was struck by lightning. Now she and her sister, Gail, are trying to understand their powers and how they're connected to the mysterious man who is apparently their grandfather.

Dr. McNinja He's a doctor. Who's also a ninja. Don't forget to read the alt-text.

XKCD A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language. Read the alt-text.

Gunnerkrigg Court From Wikipedia: "The story of Antimony Carver, a young girl who has just started attending a strange and mysterious school called Gunnerkrigg Court, and the events that unfold around her as she becomes embroiled in political intrigues between Gunnerkrigg Court and the inhabitants of the Gillitie Wood, a forest outside the school."

Shortpacked Toy humor based in a toy store. Rather hit and miss, honestly.

PS238 From TVTropes: "PS238 is the first public school for metaprodigies — super-children, in other words. That is, if you can call a top-secret underground school 'public'."

Girl Genius Gaslamp Fantasy. Mad Science. You want to read it.

Fans! From TVTropes: "About the members of a Science Fiction fanclub who battle various monsters, mad scientists, aliens, and time travellers. They were partially opposed by the Fantasmagoric Integration Board (F.I.B), a top secret group of Men in Black led by the charming but manipulative Desmond Jones, who policed the far-out and even fictional threats the club came up against."

Looking For Group Fantasy based comedy.

Digger Wombats, religion, anthropology, oracular snails. (requires subscription to GraphicSmash to read archives, although not for much longer)

Viking Zombie Boyfriend by Jeremy Rizza (of Blockade Boy fame). About Dill and his Viking Zombie Boyfriend, and their friends. Really cute.

Freak Angels A free, weekly, ongoing comic written by Warren Ellis and illustrated by Paul Duffield. From TVTropes: "Set six years after apocalyptic flooding destroys modern civilization (at least in Great Britain), the story follows the self-styled 'FreakAngels' - a dozen 23-year-olds born at the exact same moment, all with purple eyes, pale skin and an array of mental powers that include telekinesis, telepathy and mind control, with some of them having their own unique gifts."

No Rest For the Wicked One day, the Moon up and disappeared; where it went, or why, none can say. Without the Moon's light to keep them in check at night, monsters, crawling horrors, and other creatures of the dark run rampant throughout the land. But Princess November has much more pressing matters to worry about: she hasn't had a decent sleep in ages.

Help DeskRun by Mr. Hoppy, the Happy Computer Guy, who bears a remarkable resemblance to a Nazgul, Ubersoft is dedicated to selling their OS to every last person on earth. Since reading that wouldn't be very funny, we mostly hear about the trials of their help desk.

Zebra Girl Love. Hate. Spontaneous Combustion.

8-Bit Theater A Final Fantasy based sprite comic, that's actually funny.

Order of the Stick and Erfworld. RPG based comics, funny and plot-based.

Suicide For Hire From Comixpedia: "Follows the lives of two high-school juniors who begin an unexpectedly lucrative business planning and executing an end for their clients, who, for a variety of reasons don’t want to handle it on their own. For a hefty fee, they have their deaths tailor-made to fit their particular situation, within the limits of the SFH rules."

Breakfast of the Gods Cap'n Crunch, Tony the Tiger, and other Cereal Mascots (and lately other snack good mascots) battle against the evil forces of Count Chocula. Filled with hundreds of cameos from the start of mascots. Funny, moving, brilliant.

Finished Comics

Demonology 101 an online comic about high school and other forces of evil by Faith Erin Hicks. From Wikipedia: "[Demonology 101] tells the story of Raven, a 16-year-old demon being raised by a human in ordinary human society. In addition to the normal trials of teenage life, Raven must also deal with her uncertain origins, her adoptive father's past, and the supernatural world which intrudes on their lives"

StickManStickMan. Heroes. Super Tetris. Time travel. Vaultland. Just read it.

1/0 From TVTropes: "One of the single most thought provoking reality experiments ever to grace the web."

Kid Radd - The Video Game Comic Strip by Dan Miller Kid Radd was an animated Pixel Art Comic in the style of a Sprite Comic by Dan Miller following the adventures of the titular Video Game hero after being released from his game.

Mixed Myth From Comixpedia: "Mixed Myth is about the adventures of Keeva, a goblin-elf crossbreed with a penchant for explosives, and her requisite rag tag group of friends. In the world of Mixed Myth, the power of drama is a very real force. Wars are won and lost depending on who puts on the greatest show. Yes, all the world is a stage, but the actors are reluctant at best. Myriad forces conspire to either kill or use Keeva due to a powerful inheritance that was unwittingly passed to her."

Casey & Andy From TVTropes: "A webcomic about a pair of Mad Scientists and their wacky hijinx as they deal with their girlfriends, try to Take Over The World and kill each other. Repeatedly."

A Miracle of Science From TVTropes: A Miracle of Science [...] was set in the year 2148, when humanity has spread across the solar system from Venus to Ganymede, and robotics and artificial intelligence are well developed, advanced sciences. Also of note is the science of memetics, which can be used to treat (or cause) psychological issues. Of key importance in the story is one specific meme, Science Related Memetic Disorder (or, more colloquially, mad science).

(taken straight from my LJ, thus the in-depth descriptions)
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When all you have is a bowel disruptor, everything's a poop joke.
    www.CuriouslyLydean.net - comics, cocktails, writing, and other odd things.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elyanna
    What webcomics do you read?

Penny and Aggie: From the writer of Fans!. High school drama, sort of.

XCKD: Nerdy.

Order of the Stick: Much more than a D&D comic.

Questionable Content: I think I continue reading out of habit nowadays.
    I read those, also these:

Something Positive Still my favorite after all these years.

Schlock Mercenary a fantastic space opera. (And always on time)

Skin Horse from the makers of Narbonic which may have been the best webcomic ever, comes the tale of a place ops governmet social serveses group dealing with nonhuman sentient life forms, it is run by a swarm of bees. The team is lead by a talking dog, and features a swearing helecoptor, a cross dressing psycologist, and a zombie. READ IT!

Girls with Slingshots usually fairly funny. Rounds out my daily's.

Achewood THE webcomic.

Octopus Piestarted as a goofy stoner comic, but has turned into something way better than that.

Gastrophobia by David Mcguire. New and not great about on time updates, but very good.

Dr. McNinja Now in color! Silly consistanltly funny good times MWF.

Punch and Pie from the writer of Queen of Wands. A really great strip, I can't explaine why. It just is.

Anders Loves Maria kills my with its inconsistant updates, but is good enough to be worth it.

Girl Genius Possibly the best comic ever published. Web or non web.

Erfworld is another one that is bad about consistant updates, but is good enough to be worth the wait

and last but not least

The Abominable Charles Christopher (which my office has blocked it would seem or I would link directly.) It's only once a week, but its really beautiful.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Dork Tower

Order Of The Stick

Full Frontal Nerdity

plus my daily dose of all those strips I would have read in the LS Times, but refuse to pat $.75/day for.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Already linked to:

Order of the Stick
    Looking for Group
    PS238
    Full Frontal Nerdity
    XKCD
    Erfworld

I'm also a long-time reader of PvP even though it's moved away from gaming and become more of an office soap opera.

Also:
    WhattheDuck - Photography
    VG Cats - Video games
    Penny Arcade - I'm the first to link to this one?
    Something Positive - Good in small doses.
    No cage, thank you. I'm a human being.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I too read Girl Genius. It is so delightful to me. I love that the female characters are bootylicious and brillliant. (Or something like that. I'm not sure alliteration was worth bootylicious.)

I used to read The Phoenix Requiem regularly, but then a bunch of stuff kept me busy for a while and I fell behind. I'm actually a little daunted by catching up now, which is a shame, as I really enjoy the world building that Sarah Ellerton does. It's a beautiful webcomic, though.

I read Looking for Group from time to time. What can I say? I find jokes about burning orphanages down HI-larious.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well dang. All of my comics have already been listed here, save for one really crappy one I refuse to publicly admit I read.

You people do have excellent taste, though. Particularly all the Girl Genius fans.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

* fires up the ol' Google Reader *
    • A Softer World: Part of the Truth and Beauty Bombs webcomic "collective" -- soft focus, artsy photos instead of art and funny-but-cynical snippets of text.[/*:m:1ya40ww3]
    • Cat and Girl: Girl is a feminist and maybe an anarchist who is too cynical to believe in the movement, while Cat is her best pal. He's addicted to drinking paint.[/*:m:1ya40ww3]
    • Dinosaur Comics: Also with Truth and Beauty Bombs. The artwork is always identical, so it's the writing that distinguishes this one. It's quite possibly the funniest thing in existence. Stars T-Rex, and his pals Dromiceiomimus (probably misspelled) and Utahraptor.[/*:m:1ya40ww3]
    • Overcompensating: An autobiographical comic about the author, Jeffrey Rowlands, his friends Baby and Weedmaster P, and his zombie cat Joanna.[/*:m:1ya40ww3]
    • Pictures for Sad Children: Simple artwork, sad-funny themes. Aptly named.[/*:m:1ya40ww3]
    • Questionable Content: Previously mentioned. I also am sort of only reading it by habit these days. Soap-opera type, lush-looking artwork.[/*:m:1ya40ww3]
    • Something Positive: It's sort of like Questionable Content except the people are less pretty and a whole lot more happens. Tends to alternate between funny and moving, very interesting characters.[/*:m:1ya40ww3]
    • The Non-Adventures of Wonderella: The titular character is a superheroine, constantly fighting her arch-nemesis, Hitlerella; she's the child of a Vaguely Greco-Roman Godhead and arrived on earth after her planet was destroyed. The Godhead was going to destroy Earth, too, until Wonderella threw a tantrum because her sister could fly, and called the Gods "dickholes", and they were moved by her passion. Consistently hilarious.[/*:m:1ya40ww3]
    • The Perry Bible Fellowship: Also with Truth and Beauty Bombs. Seems to be defunct, which is simply tragic. Read it.[/*:m:1ya40ww3]
    • Toothpaste for Dinner: Crudely drawn, single-frames, mostly the author ranting about people that bug him.[/*:m:1ya40ww3]
    • Truck Bearing Kibble: Now slowly updating, but very funny. Like a much more lushly, elaborately drawn Perry Bible Fellowship[/*:m:1ya40ww3]
    • Unshelved: It's about a library. It's very much like a conventional newspaper comic (only funny), which is a fun novelty in the webcomics world.[/*:m:1ya40ww3]
    • xkcd: Everybody knows what this is, no real need to explain it.[/*:m:1ya40ww3]

Libertarian Autocrat Vox Imperatoris's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I only read xkcd and Questionable Content. And I second that the latter is mainly out of habit than actual interest—I don't even read it every day; I usually just wait a week or two before I remember and then read the whole thing in one go.
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
    Return of Blümchen! (To my Avatar spot.)
    Last.fm Pandora Political Compass
    Mentes Liberae et Mercatūs Liberi

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Sluggy Freelance: Two guys and a lot of interdimensional trouble. I've been reading this one since 2002-ish. By now I just want to see how it ends. Sluggy passed its peak a long time ago, but it still has its moments.
    Is that still worth reading? I haven't read it in years. Not that I stopped, per se, but I could NEVER follow the storylines as they came. I think I started reading sometime around 2000, when they were short enough to follow day-by-day, and I did, and it was good.

But within a couple years from then Pete started doing much longer plot lines and I got into the habit of catching up every 6 months or so, whenever a plot line got done. It was fine, I managed. But then he got even worse over the next few years. Oceans Unmoving was so fuckingly long -- I actually finished it, I got caught up right after it ended, but I haven't been back since. I figure whatever has been posted since is probably even longer, and I don't remember what was going on, and I used to do archive trawls every so often, but the thought of trying to read That Which Redeems or Oceans Unmoving again is so overwhelming that I just don't wanna. I mean, I always did like that comic and up until I couldn't convince myself to read it anymore I thought it was better than people gave it credit for. (Why is there no rueful grin smiley?)

I really did like that comic in many respects but there's just some limits to what you should try to do when the medium requires everything be broken into snippets of about 100 words a day.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Many of my favorites have already been linked. Here's a few more:

Two Lumps. Kitties. Cynical, dumb, occasionally slightly evil kitties. Cat keepers will recognize their own kitties.

Punch an' Pie.Slice of life, sometimes relationship comic, sometimes workplace comic, usually engaging characters. For those who read the defunct Queen of Wands, this is the same author with a different artist.

Templar, AZ. My current and longtime favorite. This sure ain't Tempe. A thick, immersive environment with juicy, well-written characters. The artwork is amazing. The lone drawback is the g-l-a-c-i-a-l pace, but hey, for a comic this good, it's well worth the wait. Read from the beginning 'cause there's no hope to jump right in and catch up. ETA- also..occasionally really, really NSFW.
    The poster formerly known as Jenaroph

Registered
    Mar 2009

I used to read Demian 5's When I am king. I finished a long time ago, but it is still worth the occational re-read.
    Oh, and OOTS.
    Aenigma sui temporis, ignota nativitas, occulta mors.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Kaspar Hauser
    I used to read Demian 5's When I am king. I finished a long time ago, but it is still worth the occational re-read.
    Oh, and OOTS.

That was a great webcomic, one of the first that I ever found. Well worth a read for anyone who hasn't read it yet.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I too have Penny Arcade, xkcd, Questionable Content, OotS, and Misfile on my lists. In addition;

Keychain of Creation; sort of like OotS, except with Exalted.

Fanboys; Random mostly video game based humour, interspersed with the funniest facial expressions i've seen in a webcomic.

Darths and Droids; The Star Wars Prequel Trilogy (currently just at the start of Episode II) as re-imagined as a tabletop RPG game. Succeeds in making Jar Jar likeable.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I used to read more webcomics, but kinda get bored by most of them. I still regularly check Order of the Stick and Erfworld, Two Lumps and Sinfest(only one not mentioned by other posters). Less regularly xkcd and Lackadaisy . Sporadically Penny Arcade and VGCats.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Bwah? I was going to add one line to my previous post, but suddenly got 'you can no longer edit that post' message. And I can't. Oh, well, here it is:

Oh, I forgot about Minus. It's finished comic - and this is why I forgot. No more updates. But it's probably my #1 favorite.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Excalibre
    Is that still worth reading? I haven't read it in years. Not that I stopped, per se, but I could NEVER follow the storylines as they came. I think I started reading sometime around 2000, when they were short enough to follow day-by-day, and I did, and it was good.

But within a couple years from then Pete started doing much longer plot lines and I got into the habit of catching up every 6 months or so, whenever a plot line got done. It was fine, I managed. But then he got even worse over the next few years. Oceans Unmoving was so fuckingly long -- I actually finished it, I got caught up right after it ended, but I haven't been back since. I figure whatever has been posted since is probably even longer, and I don't remember what was going on, and I used to do archive trawls every so often, but the thought of trying to read That Which Redeems or Oceans Unmoving again is so overwhelming that I just don't wanna. I mean, I always did like that comic and up until I couldn't convince myself to read it anymore I thought it was better than people gave it credit for. (Why is there no rueful grin smiley?)

I really did like that comic in many respects but there's just some limits to what you should try to do when the medium requires everything be broken into snippets of about 100 words a day.
    Oceans Unmoving was pretty forgettable.

I think the only storyline that's been Oceans-Moving-esque since 2005 is Aylee, Chapter 52. Six months long, most of that spent on Torg & Aylee in yet another dimension.

Like I said, it has its moments, but Sluggy is past its prime. "Zombie Fun Lab" last month was one of those good moments. It was short (about a month), fit into a larger storyline (Oasis), and was packed with small comic moments and double-takes. It also had several members of the cast instead of one isolated main character with a bunch of new characters we care nothing about and won't even see after the chapter is finished.

However, I can't think of anything in the past few years that's reached the brilliance of earlier storylines, like KITTEN and so forth. Not only that, but Pete still hasn't wrapped anything up. Nothing has yet been resolved: not the romance between Torg and Zoe, nor Oasis's origins, nor the many other small things. I think Pete is beginning to wrap it up, and it's time. It's past time.

So I do I think it's worth picking up again? If you're wanting to know what happens to the characters, I'd say wait until there's an end. If you're looking for the funny and satires, look elsewhere now. Sluggy's okay, but it's not what it was.
    "There are no ordinary people. ... It is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit." C.S. Lewis

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm the only one who reads Cyanide and Happiness?
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Gee, I think I need to spend a lot more time reading comics!

The three I read regularly are the aforementioned xkcd and Penny Arcade, and User Friendly

Registered
    Mar 2009

I currently have only three in my favorites:

Penny Arcade
    Real Life Comics
    PvP: Player vs. Player

I also started reading The Zombie Hunters but I've already caught up with it and they only update once a week so it is slow to follow.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Others have already mentioned and linked to

Order of the Stick
    XKCD
    and
    Darths & Droids

also,

Antiheroes--An OOTS spin off that retains nothing but the art style and the base D&D rules, this comic is based more around the badass mercs of the world than the 'heroes'. Very funny, and a well done storyline so far.

Sandra and Woo--A simple line-art comic that looks pretty and is somewhat funny. Still in it's early stages. Definitely inspired by Calvin and Hobbes, though it's nowhere near that level...yet.

Awkward Zombie--Just one guy and his video games, up against...well...those video games. Hit or miss, but it can be quite funny sometimes.

Derideal--This one updates sporadically, so I don't visit it too often. I have no idea where it's going, but it's got some amazing art--it's almost more of a gallery than a webcomic.

The Iron Wizard--This is more Manga than Comic, but that doesn't make it any less good. Interesting characters, complex backstories, and some impressive artwork. Updates a chapter a month.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal - really good at misdirection. You think you know what the joke will be, but often you are wrong. Very funny, updated regularly.

Worst of the Time Lords - finished webcomic making fun of - well, it's not hard to guess. Pretty funny - does the xkcd thing where there are extra jokes seen with mouse-over, but does it wrong - the mouse-over text is often a thousand times funnier than the comic.

Another vote for Miracle of Science, xkcd and Order of the Stick
    Something tells me we haven't seen the last of foreshadowing.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Sigh. Every time someone posts a thread like this, I come skulking in hoping to see my webcomic listed. Why do I do that to myself? :cry:

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Chef_Troy
    Sigh. Every time someone posts a thread like this, I come skulking in hoping to see my webcomic listed. Why do I do that to myself? :cry:
    Well, given that even you didn't list it . . .

Link us to it, please.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

OOtS and Misfile, mentioned above (the latter as of like a week ago), and Least I Could Do, which, unusually, has been through three different artists with thoroughly distinct styles and managed to do very well with all of them.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

No mention of Cyanide & Happiness yet?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

ops: Y'know Chef, I do in fact read Scandal Sheet. I'm so glad you started updating again; the Bigfoot storyline is awesome so far and I'm really waiting to see where you're going with this.

I mistakenly thought it already had been mentioned. I don't know why I thought that.
    The poster formerly known as Jenaroph

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Chef, you write Scandle Sheet? Well crap, I already have that one bookmarked. I haven't started going through the archives yet because I have been reading back archives in the order that I found the comic, but heck I will bump yours up to the top of the list now that I know.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'll be the third one to mention Cyanide and Happiness. It's pretty much just sick, dark humor at random. Very rarely are any two strips related to one another in even the tiniest way, so I just read it by clicking the "random" link. That's what I've linked to here.

I also read xkcd, pretty much by the same fashion (although I do stay on top of the updates, to some extent.

I used to read a lot more webcomics, but I just haven't had the time lately. Now that I'm sick in bed with the flu, I'll have to check some of these out as my energy permits.
    Every dialect is a language, but not every language is a dialect. - Einar Haugen

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I've got it on my list of comics I check regularly, along with several others that have already been mentioned.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

OMG, Freefall is the one I was looking for! I used to LOVE that comic!

Which is good, since I've finally realized that Questionable Content is trying way, WAY too hard for me.
    Every dialect is a language, but not every language is a dialect. - Einar Haugen

Registered
    Mar 2009

Sluggy is past its prime? I dunno, this recent week of comics had me laughing my ass off. OotS is definitely great, you may occasionally see me on the forums there as Belkar Rocks. And I'll also recommend the finished comic Minus. The entire run was done in watercolor and is insanely beautiful. And the story of Minus is also oddly fascinating.

AppleGeeks is kind of fun, although you'll definitely need to start with comic #1 to figure out what's going on. It reads up fairly fast, though. It's the story of a bunch of college-age geeks including the main protagonist, Hawk, who is the main uber-Apple-Geek of which the title refers. Along the way he creates ... well, you'll just have to read it.

My absolute favorite webcomic right now is Daisy Owl. Again, one should probably start from the beginning, but it is fairly new and won't take long to catch up. It's the story of Daisy and Cooper who are young human children being raised by an owl. Mr. Owl often hangs out with his buddy Steve the bear. Although it sounds "too cute", it really isn't. While it has its cute aspects I would say it's primary appeal is it is clever and funny and yet somehow manages to convince you that it is true-to-life. Check out the desktop wallpapers to get a good feel of the artwork. The one from 10/16 (everyone in the yard) is my current desktop at home.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I also read Scandal Sheet! And Chef_Troy, your recent updates have not convinced me that Foster wasn't checking out Khind'raa's badonkadonk. (Yes, that was me pointing that out on the LJ community).

No one's mentioned Friendly Hostility yet? I love that comic. It's a spinoff of the defunct Boy Meets Boy and, sadly, it's going to end in June. There'll be a spinoff of FH coming soon after that.
    Why won't those stupid idiots let me join their crappy club for jerks?

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

SIgh, I should list out my ritual of comics I read at like 1am...

Socks and Barney (A decent political Comic Strip about Socks the Cat and Barney the Dog that really hit its stride during the entire election campaign, but now that it's done, it's still trying to find its niche)http://www.socksandbarney.com/
    The Book of Biff -I dunno, it's a weird one panel that updates M-F, not great, but quirky enough for a chuckle sometimes. http://www.thebookofbiff.com/
    Bunny -I'd been reading it since Day 1, not great humor all the time, it can be good. http://www.frozenreality.co.uk/comic/bunny/
    College Roomies from Hell- Pretty much like Sluggy, but not as good. Really complicated, less quality artwork than Sluggy, but still fun at times. http://crfh.net/
    Count Your Sheep -It's cute and fun. The Most Child Friendly of all the strips I read. http://countyoursheep.keenspot.com/
    Real Life by Greg Dean, I think it's been listed.
    D&Dorks.com- It's not as good at OOTS and it doesn't up daily regularly as it should, but it's got a pretty good back story, and if you enjoy D&D Comics it's one of the better ones out there. http://dndorks.com/comics/default.aspx
    Misfile- great strip.
    Least I could Do- It was great watching this strip evolve over the 3 artists, as I've been reading this one for a while now.
    Diesel Sweeties- it's usually hit or miss for me, with more misses than hits, but I keep giving it a shot. It kinda requires starting from the beginning to truly get the identity of most of the characters and the storylines. http://www.dieselsweeties.com/
    Evil Inc.- GREAT Strip. Seriously very well done, and a great spoofing of the Superhero Genre, by focusing on the Villains as a giant corporate entity. I recommend this one highly. http://www.evil-comic.com/index.html
    Cyanide and Happiness- I love the Dark Humor.
    Dominic Deegan- One of the Top 5 web comics I'm reading I'd say. Beautiful Artwork, great fantasy storylines that aren't TOO confusion, and a good bit of puns and humor too. Def. gotta start at the beginning though, and there's a huge learning curve to the artist's learning to draw. Imagine how QC has developed over time, and thats how Mookie's done with his artwork in there. It's crude at first, but now its simply amazing. http://www.dominic-deegan.com//
    PvP: gotta love it.
    Sinfest: Also in my Top 5
    Sluggy Freelance: First Webcomic I ever read. Stays in Top 5.
    QC: Good Stuff, I've been with him since the Crazy Train Strips of Pintsize. Def. cool to see grow.

Those are just the strips I check Daily. I have another section on strips i check every month or so, and the ones I check on Saturdays which includes AppleGeeks, Goblins (the 2nd best D&D Strip out there next to OotS), Penny Arcade, and others.
    If you want a link to any of those just ask I suppose.

PS: How do you make the links part of the name of something? Like coding it in?
    "Dude, your statistical average, which was already in the toilet, just took a plunge into the Earth's mantle." ~ iampunha

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by RoOsh
    PS: How do you make the links part of the name of something? Like coding it in?
    Like this Evil Inc.. I forgot all about Evil Inc when I made my list since I haven't finished the archives yet. So far I am loving it though and expect it to be on my list of weekly reads when I am done catching up.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

[ url=http://yoururlhere.com/page ]This[ /url ] is a magical linky text thing.

---------------------------------------

I've been really, really getting into OotS and getting (back) into Freefall. I'm not huge on the homophobic bullshit (OMG THE ELF IS NAKED IF WE CAST A SPELL ON HIM WE'LL ALL BE TEH GAY!) in the beginning of the storyline, but I got over it.

+ Reply to thread