+ Reply to thread

Thread: Invocations at public meetings: appropriate to stay seated?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Invocations at public meetings: appropriate to stay seated?

Where I work, a local minister always recites an invocation before every City Council meeting. The Mayor requests that everybody stand for the invocation. At the meetings I've attended, the invocations aren't short prayers; they approach the 90 second to two minute mark. The prayers also aren't generic, appealing to God or "a higher power" in general; they're specifically very Christian, mentioning Jesus. The last prayer was uber-Christian, with one line being "Jesus, pour your blood on City Council and city staff".

If City Council wants to pray, it's fine by me, even though the courts consider it questionable. However, being Jewish, I'm not exactly comfortable with standing up and praying to Jesus. Jesus was a great guy and all, and I appreciate that people want to give props to a fellow Member of the Tribe, but still ... you know. Anyhow, being a new employee, I don't want to make waves, or be seen as one of "those Jews" who's trying to spoil everyone else's fun. (FWIW, I'm Reform.)

Do you think it would be appropriate to stay seated during the invocation, and then rise for the Pledge of Allegiance afterward? I'd be the only one that would be seated. I think I'm the only Jewish city employee, and the city is quite far from the center of the region's Jewish community; I'd say the population of religious adherents that are not Christian there is close to zero. I'd prefer not to strategically show up late, or wait outside the chambers and time my entrance just before the pledge, but I'll consider doing so if it's the only way to avoid public prayer.

FWIW, I've never been preached or proselytized to, not experienced any other problems because of my faith. Please don't ask where I work; I don't want to see the city get in trouble over this.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Invocations at public meetings: appropriate to stay seated?

When I'm in this position, I stand, bow my head respectfully, and remain silent. If you stay seated, it may come across as completely disrespectful, and that's not good, either.
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

Registered
    Feb 2009

I wouldn't stand. I don't like the idea of being forced to join in on a religious ritual I take no stock in. Staying seated is no more disrespectful than declining to attend the same church the other people attend. In my opinion, it's rude for them to expect non-believers to play along as if they are of the same mindset! I also don't join hands in prayer circles, nor do I bow my head when others are praying. I remain quiet because that's what you do when other people are speaking.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

While I'm not fond of any of their religious tenants, I do like how Jehova's Witnesses are supposed to handle things like this: remain respectful and silent, but do one step less than everyone else. Everyone stands and puts their hand over their heart/salutes for the Pledge of Allegiance? The JW should stand, but not put his hand over his heart. Everyone rises and bows their head while prayer is happening? The JW will rise, but not bow her head. Everyone rises? The JW should remain seated.

Of course, keeping your seat will mean drawing attention, whether you like it or not. You'll have to balance out the interpersonal/political damage this could do with the benefits of being clear about your religious stance.
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

In that situation, I just keep on doing whatever I was doing beforehand (provided it's not talking loudly or doing something that would be disruptive of any speaker). I neither rise, nor bow my head, nor even stop taking notes/doodling/whatever.
    Better is heart than a mighty blade
    For him who shall fiercely fight;
    The brave man well shall fight and win,
    Though dull his blade may be.

+ Reply to thread