+ Reply to thread

Thread: What to do with old paperback books? (Donate somewhere?)

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default What to do with old paperback books? (Donate somewhere?)

I just don't have the heart to throw books in the rubbish. I thought burning them might be cool, in a twisted sort of way (just a bunch of Grisham and the like). I suppose I could sell them to the used book store for 5¢ apiece or something, but there's got to be a better way. There are a hundred or so, all my late father-in-law's. I've picked out the decent stuff - a few hardcovers and a handfull of p-backs that look interesting.

Thoughts? Anyone?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: What to do with old paperback books? (Donate somewhere?)

Try the hospitals in your area. The library doesn't want 'em, I'm sure, not if they're paperbacks (it'd cost them more to put library bindings on than they're worth, unless there's some rare find in there). But hospitals and nursing homes might like some fresh donations for their book carts.
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Find a VA hospital. They are always looking for stuff like that. Or any other hospital or nursing home.

Burning books is a Sin, no matter what they are.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Yes, I'm a cat. What's it to you? Muffin's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Northwestern Ontario 48°17'42.8"N,89°23'21.2"W

Write "Please read me" on a yellow sticky, stick it on a book, and leave the book in a public place.

XJETGIRLX

You could try BookCrossing if you want to trade, or like someone else said just leave them in a public place.

Do you have a break room at work? Or your doctor's office? Or your favorite coffee shop/hangout? Bring a batch with you next time you go and let someone working there know that you're leaving them for people to enjoy.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The Salvation Army sells books for 10 cent apiece or something. They like to get them. Same with VA hospitals, to my knowledge. You could also get involved in a book swap with your friends. It's a great way to spread the wealth.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Paperbackswap.com is a good place if you'd like to trade them for books you haven't read. You have to pay shipping (a couple bucks by media mail) to the person who requests it, but then you get a credit to choose a book you'd like and it is shipped to you at the sender's expense. You don't have to choose only from the person who you shipped the book to; credits are good for any book in the system. You can even save up credits to get audiobooks. It was a better deal before postage went up, but I still think it is worth it if you read many paperbacks.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Goodwill and St. Vincent de Paul Societies both take books.

If all else fails, put them in with your paper recycling.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Donate them to your local county jail or other correctional facility. Inmates read a LOT!
    "And I hope I don't get born again, 'cuz one time was enough!" -- Mark Sandman

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by WhyNot
    The library doesn't want 'em, I'm sure, not if they're paperbacks (it'd cost them more to put library bindings on than they're worth, unless there's some rare find in there).
    Our library actually takes pretty much anything, but not to put in the stacks. They do some fundraising through a used book shop.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by BetsQ
    Our library actually takes pretty much anything, but not to put in the stacks. They do some fundraising through a used book shop.
    That's fairly common. Public libraries accept book donations, but most donations are sold to raise money by the Friends of the Library, or a similar organisation.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Something suggested at previous Dopefests was to bring unwanted books, music, and movies and have a swap session. I donated the leftovers to a local second hand bookstore with an outdoor table.

ETA: Thread was moved here to merge with another thread started by Julie, but in the process, her single post thread went to the land of lost left sox. She's been PMed and asked to repost here. Apologies to all.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison

Registered
    Feb 2009

Would anyone be interested in trying to do some sort of 'Bohemian/Domoeba book/cd/dvd swap?

Registered
    Mar 2009

A friend of mine works with a charity that helps local kids in trouble get work skills by cataloguing and selling used books on Ebay and on Moody Street in Waltham. She has helped with a lot of non-profits and really likes this one.

I think you'd have to bring them over to Waltham yourself. Here's the info:
    http://www.mtwyouth.org/

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Wow! Thanks for all the great ideas!

...and Waltham is just down the road from my office. Hmm...

Registered
    Mar 2009

I just talked to my friend about More Than Words and she said mass-market paperbacks are the one category they might NOT take, because they can sometimes cost more to process than they can get for them. So maybe it's not worth the trip to Waltham. Or you could call them and check if they can get anything for your particular titles.

I felt happy donating some technical books that were probably worth a bit on Ebay.

+ Reply to thread