+ Reply to thread

Thread: How many active posters does the SDMB have, and how many...

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default How many active posters does the SDMB have, and how many...

how many can we expect here?

God knows the statistics published by the SDMB are crap (88,000 users? Riiiiight), so what's a better idea of the number of current, active users? 3,000? 2,000? 5,000?

What percentage could be expected to make the move here (I know, I know, speculation, WAGs, etc).
    "It's Quite Cool." -Gandalf

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: How many active posters does the SDMB have, and how many...

88,000 are users that ever registered. The active posters are in the 2000-3000 range and the seriously active posters only amount to maybe 1000. This is a best guess with some confirmation from prior threads on the Dope.

However, keep in mind the dope has lurkers and those that rarely post but read.

I can't guess at the next part of your post.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I know about the 88,000 members ever registered. I suppose it just seems kind of....false. I mean about 44,000 are probably socks of previously banned members.

I was mostly wondering about how many users who actually contribute on a regular basis the SDMB has - 1,000 seems reasonable, if not a touch high. I suppose I don't really hang out in GD so I could be missing a bunch of people there, but I would almost say 500 is the number of people who are actively posting over there.
    "It's Quite Cool." -Gandalf

Registered
    Feb 2009

FWIW, I messaged pretty much every active poster I could think of, and find by scouring through recent threads. I think the number's well short of 1000, to be honest. More like 600. Of course, there's posters that only post once or twice, every year, but I didn't consider messaging them.
    Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur
    D'une langueur Monotone

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, the recent "Pit rules have been revised" thread, which every man, woman, kitty and dog seems to have took part in, only has 225 contributors, so I'd say the 600 regularly active posters was a very generous guesstimate.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by alice_in_wonderland
    What percentage could be expected to make the move here (I know, I know, speculation, WAGs, etc).
    Clearly, the only way to properly answer this is to count them. So...

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

No need to count them, shortcake, there's a little counter on the bottom of the first page what counts 'em for me.

This message brought to you by NinetyWt, the Queen of Lubricants™.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah... I was going to start a similar thread. I, too, wonder how many will "make the jump" and also, how many folks are keeping their SDMB names.

Are most of you erstwhile Dopers here considering abandoning the SDMB entirely, or will you keep one foot in each camp, at least for the time being?

Is anyone actively recruiting from the SDMB? Or would that be considered bad form (and almost certainly a bannable offense on the Shark Jump Message Board (ooops... I mean the Straight Dope Message Board).

I apologize if this has already been covered but I'm but a mere newbie. I bow to the old-timers who've been around since late February 2009.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by CRSP
    FWIW, I messaged pretty much every active poster I could think of, and find by scouring through recent threads. I think the number's well short of 1000, to be honest. More like 600. Of course, there's posters that only post once or twice, every year, but I didn't consider messaging them.
    Gosh darn it, you never messaged me! I'm hurt! I had to find this place all by my lonesome!

Registered
    Feb 2009

I see we have over 200 members (the Domebo member list actually works, usefully), so things are looking good. I'd estimate there are at most about 1,000 active Dopers so we have a fifth of them registered here after less than 4 days.
    I didn't make the world this way, it was like this when I got here

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by I Love Me, Vol. I
    Are most of you erstwhile Dopers here considering abandoning the SDMB entirely, or will you keep one foot in each camp, at least for the time being?
    A few have mentioned that this will be their primary posting place, over the SDMB. I tend to gravitate towards that myself, although I'm trying to minimize my 'wasted' internet time. Heh.

Is anyone actively recruiting from the SDMB? Or would that be considered bad form (and almost certainly a bannable offense on the Shark Jump Message Board (ooops... I mean the Straight Dope Message Board).
    There's a PM campaign or two on, and the site itself has been mentioned in several threads.

I apologize if this has already been covered but I'm but a mere newbie. I bow to the old-timers who've been around since late February 2009.
    Thursdayers !! Or maybe Thursday-ites? I managed to get on the first page of members, but I think Brewha was the first one to jump on Crispy's bandwagon.
    This message brought to you by NinetyWt, the Queen of Lubricants™.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I've thought about this before, and honestly there are maybe 400 posters who are active multiple posts per day people.

I'm not quitting the Dope, but I'm establishing myself here. I've even started checking this site before I check the Dope. Shit, I'm even checking Facebook before I check the Dope these days.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I've been on a personal campaign to invite posters I think can add a lot to this board. I'm just about done, if for no other reason than I need to take a break from the comp. Never mind that pesky thing called real life and work.

I'm still on the 'dope, and ideally, I would have liked to stay there. It just feels like the ship is sinking, and I wanted to give lifejackets to those who might be interested.

It seems to me that in the next couple of weeks we need to invite others, a lot of others, to take a look at this board, to show an alternative. They need to know this exists, that it's a viable and vibrant board with a lot of familiar faces. Otherwise there will be a slow loss of attrition, with everyone scattering to the four winds.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by I Love Me, Vol. I
    I plan on posting to both for the foreseeable future. I'm not that upset by the new rules as far as following them goes but I'm uncertain as to how interesting the Pit will be when this all shakes out. Still, I think the Dope is a great board and it has much to offer besides the Pit.

This place is good too, though. Lots of good, strong posters and activity is picking up. I'm trying to take pains to post here as much as I can to try to help keep the conversation flowing. I'm encouraged by the number of posters here and by the excellent way the place is being moderated and designed. I'm sure CRSP is busier than a one-legged man at an ass-kicking contest, but he's doing a great job and I'd like to see his efforts rewarded with a successful board that we can enjoy for a long time.

Registered
    Mar 2009

A very large percentage of the SDMB membership consists of Russian spambot-generated accounts. With no captcha -- at least before the upgrade -- a spambot was registering literally every five to ten minutes or so.

On message boards, as with anything else, the Pareto principle generally applies; 20% of the membership is responsible for 80% of the posts. With the spambot accounts skewing the numbers, though, I'd say on the SDMB it's more like 5% of the members have made 95% of the posts.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Here is the URL for my own SDMB profile: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/member.php?u=65404

Not terribly interesting. But what's interesting is that you can now do this: start changing the digits at the end randomly, to find other members.

Observe how almost all the results you get will be members with a total of 0 posts. This should give you some idea how inflated the naive usercount is.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I now check DoMeBo before the Dope. Once my current thread subscriptions run out over there, I'm thinking of quitting it entirely, assuming this site keeps growing like it has. (Or anything close to that, really. I know it's got to dip off eventually.)
    Every dialect is a language, but not every language is a dialect. - Einar Haugen

Registered
    Feb 2009

Roger that. I check the member list every morning, and am heartened by all the names I recognize and respect. The only way to vote in a dictatorship is with your feet, and we be walking!
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Indistinguishable
    Not terribly interesting. But what's interesting is that you can now do this: start changing the digits at the end randomly, to find other members.

Observe how almost all the results you get will be members with a total of 0 posts. This should give you some idea how inflated the naive usercount is.
    I've done the same thing before the upgrade, and was amazed at the number of nonsensical usernames that were obviously randomly generated. For example:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/member.php?u=79999
    http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/member.php?u=79998
    http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/member.php?u=79997
    http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/member.php?u=79994
    http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/member.php?u=79993
    http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/member.php?u=79988
    http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/member.php?u=79987
    http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/member.php?u=79982
    http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/member.php?u=79981
    http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/member.php?u=79979

Back in the day, the SDMB used to have a blacklist that blocked mail from free email providers. I don't know if it's still in place.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm pretty sure I don't count as an active poster (I probably might have a few years ago, but I don't post all that much any more), but I'm here. I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of semi-lurkers like myself made the jump to a this board, just so we can still lurk around the same familiar people.

+ Reply to thread