+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fun Sporcle Game - US-British Words

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Fun Sporcle Game - US-British Words

http://www.sporcle.com/games/usuk_words.php

I got 36 of 45 before time ran out. I was very annoyed that I missed a couple of very easy answers. I KNOW what a spanner is. I know what treacle is. I suck!
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Fun Sporcle Game - US-British Words

If you don't know one is there a way of skipping to the next one? I got stuck on one and that seemed to spell the end of the game for me!
    I didn't make the world this way, it was like this when I got here

Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello runner pat's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by TheFlame
    If you don't know one is there a way of skipping to the next one? I got stuck on one and that seemed to spell the end of the game for me!
    Just type in your answer, it puts it in the correct slot. Just make sure the box you type in is clear, you don't need to click the line you're trying to answer.
    That tripped me up also, lost some time.

33/45
    "To give anything less than your best is to waste the Gift."
    Steve Prefontaine

Registered
    Feb 2009

(after following runner pat's advice) I got 37/45. Most of the ones I missed were clothing related. One of them was a bit of a trick question IMO. A couple of the others I really should have got.
    I didn't make the world this way, it was like this when I got here

Registered
    Feb 2009

Got 31.
    [spoiler:2zi7xuzi]Aren't Jell-o and Band-aid brand names?[/spoiler:2zi7xuzi]

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I missed: (mouseover to view)
    Estate Agent ('cause I couldn't think of the other word or Real Estate Agent - I think that's a no fair, as Realtor is a trademark.)
    Courgette
    Spanner
    Polo neck (sweater)

I think that's pretty good. I credit my love of reading back before they made "American versions" of great British books for kids! Context Clues, anyone?

Edited to change "spoiler" color to white.
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Kinda fun. I got 34 right.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth - Marcus Aurelius

Yes, I'm a cat. What's it to you? Muffin's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Northwestern Ontario 48°17'42.8"N,89°23'21.2"W

I got them all, but that's probably due to my being Canadian and having attended a British boys school in Canada. Even today, a third of my outrigger canoe crew are English, many of the programs on the one television chanel that I receive are English, and the television program that I like to watch on the internet is English. That tends to balance the flood of American English that comes across the border. Vive la differance!

What was sad was that despite knowing the answers, I took nearly the whole five minutes (only eight seconds to spare) because I had such a hard time spelling some of the words, despite my having been and English professor. Then again, I was kicked out of grade one and sent back to kindergarten because the teacher did not like the way my name was spelled.

Registered
    Feb 2009

39/45.

Couldn't for the life of me think what canteen could refer to besides kitchen, couldn't remember what a spanner or draughts was. Never heard of a courgette. I also missed dinner jacket and another one that I can't remember right now.

Registered
    Feb 2009

38/45

There were two more (candy floss, wellies) were I knew what they mean but I couldn't think the American terms.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

30 out of 45.

I wasted 2 minutes working out that it didn't matter which one I was answering, as long as it was there.

I'd have got them all apart from molasses, otherwise. Honest!
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Feb 2009

42. Couldn't remember treacle or courgette or fairy cake. I kept saying squash for courgette.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

41. Missed courgette, polo neck, fairy cake(really?) and canteen.
    The poster formerly known as Jenaroph

Registered
    Mar 2009

38/45 also missed a bit of time working out how to play and making typos. I'm British btw so was coming at this from the opposite direction. Can't believe my brain froze on the American work for trainers!

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

39/45. All those years of reading Harlequin Romances helped. I would have never , ever gotten the eggplant and zucchini ones.
    WTF did I just say?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I got 35/45. I credit many, many hours watching BBC shows on tape/DVD

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

42/45, I missed courgette, fairy cake and didn't know that pavement is a sidewalk!
    "And I hope I don't get born again, 'cuz one time was enough!" -- Mark Sandman

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by SmartAleq
    42/45, I missed courgette, fairy cake and didn't know that pavement is a sidewalk!
    Heh. You're outta here, bub - hit the pavement!

No, not really, just pointing out it's not an unheard of term in the US - at least in New York cop melodramas. Unlike "fairy cake". When I was reading Douglas Adams, I thought the Total Perspective Vortex was run on angel food cake or something. Couldn't fathom what else fairy cake could be. But I was bothered by this, as angel food cake didn't feel very British...
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by WhyNot
    No, not really, just pointing out it's not an unheard of term in the US - at least in New York cop melodramas. Unlike "fairy cake". When I was reading Douglas Adams, I thought the Total Perspective Vortex was run on angel food cake or something. Couldn't fathom what else fairy cake could be. But I was bothered by this, as angel food cake didn't feel very British...
    At least you didn't think it was made of fairies!

The only place I can remember running across fairy cakes is in Martha Grimes novels. Aunt Agatha eats fairy cakes. I pictured something more... elegant and light and sophisticated than a cupcake.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Julie
    Quote Originally posted by WhyNot
    At least you didn't think it was made of fairies!

The only place I can remember running across fairy cakes is in Martha Grimes novels. Aunt Agatha eats fairy cakes. I pictured something more... elegant and light and sophisticated than a cupcake.
    Aunt Agatha east ALL the fairy cakes.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by jali
    Aunt Agatha east ALL the fairy cakes.
    She does. Melrose should push her in front of a bus. (Heck, maybe he does eventually. I'm only on book 8 or so.)

Registered
    Mar 2009

37/45 I'm English

Registered
    Mar 2009

I got 36.

I got stuck on "Jelly", because I kept thinking about PBJ sandwiches and going in my head "it IS jelly in the US, too, dammit", until I saw "Jam" and went "d'oh!" That cost me about half a minute (plus figuring out where I type in stuff). For "braces" I kept thinking about braces on teeth, that messed things up as well.

Being German, I found I also had trouble "translating" the two expressions that are the same in German, namely the aubergine and C.V., even if I know the US terms. Then again, the same process helped me with the "zucchini", so I guess it all evens out in the end.

+ Reply to thread