+ Reply to thread

Thread: Award winning newsman Paul Harvey has passed on at age 90

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Award winning newsman Paul Harvey has passed on at age 90

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...6982226&page=1

It's been years since I heard one of his broadcasts, but his distinctive style was both informative and entertaining. Good night, Sir.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Award winning newsman Paul Harvey has passed on at age 90

This is the first I've heard on this. I always like Paul Harver. Interesting stories, entertaining delivery, always informative and he was an old-school guy that sort of evoked trust and confidence. On the bright side, Paul Jr. seems like a carbon copy of his

Registered
    Feb 2009

Politically, the guy was a fucking Nazi and most of his stories were fiction. He was the original merchant of right wing religious and political glurge. Fuck him.

Registered
    Feb 2009

While I don't share the vitriol of Ken S., it is definitely true that many of his stories are a combination of selective biography, creative manipulation, and outright fabrication. He's been the source of so many unconfirmed or untrue urban legends that Snopes should have a category devoted strictly to him. (Curiously, he's also the target of many u.l.s about supposed comments or correspondence falsely attributed to him.) While he might have "evoke[d] trust and confidence," the man was a pernicious liar, and his interminable hawking of products--inserted directly into his commentary--was a source of irritation and satire. He also never hesitated to put a distinctly Christian Fundamentalist bend on his news commentary, especially in regard to politics, education, and science.

Stranger
    Some people just aren't happy unless the world is about to come to a bloody and fiery end.- Diana

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I wonder if his eulogy will be slyly segued into "page 2" in the middle?
    Something witty and just obscure enough to make you think I'm cool.

Registered
    Feb 2009

In 2000, when I was a Republican, I was listening to Paul Harvey on the morning when he said he would endorse someone for president. I knew he would endorse Bush because, well, Harvey was One of Us.

He didn't. He said he thought both men were worthy of our votes.

I was furious and disappointed. Looking back, I'm am still, though for opposite reasons!

+ Reply to thread