+ Reply to thread

Thread: Where can I get a military issue (quality) blanket?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Where can I get a military issue (quality) blanket?

I'm looking for something for early spring camping (car camping, so weight is unimportant). I loathe sleeping bags, I can't sleep with my feet and legs constricted. So usually I bring lots and lots of blankets and sleep with a hat and several layers of clothing. But last spring, I shared the bed of a lovely gentleman who had this awesome blanket. Felt like wool, was satisfyingly heavy but not terribly thick, and was amazingly warm to sleep under.

He's ex....something. I forget what branch. I suspect the blanket was from his military days, although I'm not sure about that. Where can I get an awesome warm blanket like that? I'm leary of buying a blanket online because it might end up being some acrylic piece of ick, but if anyone can recommend a specific website, that'd be awesome.

(Before you state the obvious, let me add that he lives in a cabin in the wilderness and is unavailable for contact until spring. So I can't just email him and ask where he got his. )
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Where can I get a military issue (quality) blanket?

I picked up a new army blanket at an Army/Navy Store. You can see if there is one in your area or possibly take a small road trip to Great Lakes.

The nice thing about the blankets is that they are wool. They stay warm even when wet. I always keep one in the back of my car.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

When you say it felt like wool, was it soft or rough?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Ensign Edison
    Mmm...kind of in between. I definitely wanted a layer (like a sheet) between me and it, but it wasn't harshly scratchy. Definitely rougher than acrylic, though. About like some real wool sweaters I've felt.

What Exit?, dumb question, but can anyone buy stuff at an Army/Navy store, or do you have to be in the military?
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by WhyNot
    What Exit?, dumb question, but can anyone buy stuff at an Army/Navy store, or do you have to be in the military?
    I believe What Exit is talking about Army/Navy surplus stores, which are open to anyone. Good place to procure combat boots.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Ensign Edison
    Mmm...kind of in between. I definitely wanted a layer (like a sheet) between me and it, but it wasn't harshly scratchy. Definitely rougher than acrylic, though. About like some real wool sweaters I've felt.

Anyone can buy from these stores if you can find one. The army blanket starts out scratchy by the way but gets to a softness that is exceptional after many washings.

Apparently you can now get them online. I would consider buying a used one and washing it 2-3 times rather than a new one.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I have a woobie, but that's a little different. It's a poncho liner, but I don't think that is what your talking about.

http://www.rangerjoes.com/poncho-linerw ... -3691.html

I have to highly recommend it, though. Lightweight, easy to fold up into a small package, keeps you at the perfect temp.

And you'll have to pry mine from my cold, dead hands. Give me woobie, or give me death.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit?
    Apparently you can now get them online. I would consider buying a used one and washing it 2-3 times rather than a new one.
    Schweet! I think I can go one better and talk my microbiology teacher into sneaking it in the autoclave with our lab coats! Thanks!

fisheroo, I think I'll get a woobie as well. I bet it'd be great for sitting out in the cold after dark. Thanks!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit?
    Schweet! I think I can go one better and talk my microbiology teacher into sneaking it in the autoclave with our lab coats! Thanks!
    I love the Internet, I bought a brand new one about 10 years age for more than the new one online would cost with shipping as I could not shop around.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Definitely check out the Army/Navy surplus. It's where people that are coming back home can sell their stuff for quick money so you can get some used stuff there too. It was the best place to shop during my combat boot/camo anti-society teen years. And super warm stuff!

Just using Chicago as an area I found these: http://find.mapmuse.com/re1/map_bran...SURPLUS_ARMY,&

Sorry about the coding. I am not used to this yet.
    Something witty and just obscure enough to make you think I'm cool.

Registered
    Feb 2009

As an alternative, here is a good price on Smartwool blankets, and here is another. They're a little pricier, but won't need to be washed half a dozen times before you can use one without being itched to death, and in my opinion tend to be a little warmer than mil surplus wool, although it is debatable whether they hold up as well. (I like Smartwool hiking socks but I've gone through three pair while another standard wool/synthetic sock brand still looks practically new.)

Stranger
    Some people just aren't happy unless the world is about to come to a bloody and fiery end.- Diana

Registered
    Feb 2009

I've also gotten some good stuff from The Sportsman's Guide.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Baldwin
    I've also gotten some good stuff from The Sportsman's Guide.

That was my first thought when I read the thread title. They almost always have some kind of military blanket of one sort or another being sold in one of their catalogs.

Registered
    Feb 2009

You can also try Major Surplus. I've found all sorts of good deals there.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

+ Reply to thread