+ Reply to thread

Thread: What do you think of prints of famous works of art?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default What do you think of prints of famous works of art?

I have precious little art on my walls and I'm thinking of having a couple Gaugin prints matted and framed: http://www.fulcrumgallery.com/a28609/Pa ... DAodOT_zkg

Is it cheesy to do this? What prints of famous works do you have displayed?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: What do you think of prints of famous works of art?

I myself only like high quality prints that display only the artwork, I don't care for poster versions that have titles or ones that are promo items from shows at museums as much. I perfer lithiographs over anything else. I don't think it's cheesy at all, it's not like you're going to go get the originals any time soon, right?

I have several small high quality ones that I got from the Dali museum in Florida that are matted and framed. They were kind of spendy, but look like it and I think that they're nicer.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I think you should have up on your walls whatever you feel like looking at. Simple as that.

But I'm probably not the best advice giver when it comes to cheesy or no. I like cheese. I've got a, geez, I don't even think you could call it a print, a poster (though framed) of The Accolade on one side of a living room wall and this poster (also framed) from Moulin Rouge! on the other. The Accolade doesn't technically belong to me, we're holding onto it indefinitely for a friend (although, to be honest, I've forgotten which one). For a while, the disparity of style and theme bugged the heck out of me, until I decided the wall was Love. Chivalric Love on one side and Romantic Love on the other. Now the pairing makes me happy.
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by WhyNot
    I think you should have up on your walls whatever you feel like looking at. Simple as that.
    Exactly. For me, I like to put things up that I not only like looking at, but that also mean something to me. It's one of the reasons several rooms in my house lack any kind of anything on the walls. I haven't found the right "thing" yet.

I have some photos (those artsy-fartsy ones that are blown up) in some rooms, a few that I bought at a farmers' market on vacation and some that I bought on the internet that were photos of places I'd been on vacation. For the last, I hadn't bought pictures when I was actually there, because the photos seemed way expensive to me, but later I regretted it, so bought them online. I also have some original art (including a painting my mom painted for me) in other rooms. But in my office, next to my desk, is a print of John Everett Millais's Ophelia. It's a poster from the Tate Gallery, and I love it, not just because I love the painting, but because of the story behind it.

Many years ago, before this "internet" thing, we used to write letters -- ink on paper -- and then mail them, waiting weeks for a reply. And in college my best friend spent a semester in London right after I got home from a semester in Italy. I wrote to her, telling her that one of my regrets about my semester abroad was that I hadn't gotten to London, and so hadn't gone to the Tate Gallery to see Ophelia in person.

She told me later that she got her letter on a day when she had to decide between going on the group trip to the Tate or to some other museum. Based on my letter, she chose the Tate, loved it, and got me the poster. And so when I look at it, it reminds me of more than just the painting; it reminds me of her.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm a fan of it, I have a few up at home in my room, and I always enjoy looking at them. One day I'll get a full sized one of my favorite painting ever... and then I'll frame it and smile happily. As it's doing its job then as Art- making me enjoy it.

*Raphael's School of Athens for those who can't let something go.
    "Dude, your statistical average, which was already in the toilet, just took a plunge into the Earth's mantle." ~ iampunha

Registered
    Feb 2009

I've got a couple that I've been meaning to get matted and framed (a Waterhouse, a Bosch and one I can't remember). Doesn't seem cheesy. But I never really got how much more powerful the original painting can be, until I saw some Gaugin and Van Gogh paintings close-up at a museum.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm a big art snob and the only thing I really despise is a blank wall.

Everything people display is fascinating to me.

And I have quite a few posters. No place to hang them, at the present time, but I still have them.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm having a hard time deciding which ones to buy. I'm leaning toward this: http://www.fulcrumgallery.com/Paul-Gaug ... _28454.htm and this: http://www.fulcrumgallery.com/Paul-Gaug ... 157564.htm.

I find his colors positively mesmerizing. Unfortunately, I won't be able to afford really good prints. I'm hoping to do both for around $250, if possible.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't think there's anything wrong with prints. Whatever you want to put on your walls is fine with me. I don't detest blank walls but I think they look better with stuff on them. Both of the paintings you linked to are quite pretty, imo.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

There's nothing "cheezy" about framed prints or posters, IMO. Cliched, occasionally (I'm looking at you, Klimt-on-Freshman-Dorm-Wall!!!), but those are lovely, and it's your home... hang what makes you happy to look at!

The only thing I'd mention is that if you're going to spend $250 anyway, you might try taking a look around and seeing if there are some local artists you like. Also maybe check Ebay. For $250, you may well be able to get some really nice stuff, support a living artist, and maybe even have it appreciate on you!

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, I love walking around art fairs and markets and seeing what people have made. It's always fun to imagine where you'd put it in your house.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by DianaG
    There's nothing "cheezy" about framed prints or posters, IMO. Cliched, occasionally (I'm looking at you, Klimt-on-Freshman-Dorm-Wall!!!), but those are lovely, and it's your home... hang what makes you happy to look at!

The only thing I'd mention is that if you're going to spend $250 anyway, you might try taking a look around and seeing if there are some local artists you like. Also maybe check Ebay. For $250, you may well be able to get some really nice stuff, support a living artist, and maybe even have it appreciate on you!
    Yes, I have been looking around, but unfortunately haven't hit on anything just yet. Plus, Gaugin really rocks my world. I have some original paintings my aunt did, and some prints of some work a friend of mine did, plus a sculpture my other friend did. And some original photos that a photographer took of Kid Kalhoun when we was a wee sprout.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Since I can't afford the originals, prints will have to do. I have some matted/framed Andrew Wyeth, Norman Rockwell (the old fisherman looking out to sea and a little redheaded boy next to him -- don't know the name of it), and a Rockwell of a woman trying on a dress from a trunk in an attic, and a couple of Thomas Hart Benton.

Also some stuff I picked up at estate auctions, including one that I thought was a painting until I took it apart to clean the glass and realized that it's done entirely in chalk. It's a pretty landscape with a little house, incredible detail. Wish I knew who did it. Oh, and some local stuff.
    If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. But if this is tea please bring me some coffee. ~Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Kalhoun
    I have precious little art on my walls and I'm thinking of having a couple Gaugin prints matted and framed: http://www.fulcrumgallery.com/a28609/Pa ... DAodOT_zkg

Is it cheesy to do this? What prints of famous works do you have displayed?
    I have several prints by my favorite artists (the more well-known ones are Picasso, Dali, Van Gogh, Renoir, Monet, and a couple of 1930s-era German abstracts, plus a few acrylic and oil paintings I've done myself as copies. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having prints on your walls. Paintings are a very scarce commodity and even very wealthy people with magnificient homes have prints hanging on their walls. I wouldn't think twice about it if I were you.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Uh, that would be "magnificent" homes. I can't spell for shit since I got this laptop and I keep omitting words too. What's up with that?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm not sure I'd put up a poster of some great, revered work of art, but that's more because I want my walls to be more unique. Hence why my music posters are Jimi Hendrix - "Axis Bold as Love" and Miles Davis - "Kind of Blue". (That's pretty damn unique among my age group!)

I would put up an artistic shot of Paris, or a really beautiful artistic portrait of two guys kissing, or something. Actually, what I'd really like is a painting of the narrow streets of Toledo, Spain, or some such thing. I also hung up some framed photos my ex took with me when we were dating and we were at Ocean Beach watching the sun set. But really, what coastal California home would be complete without some ocean pics?

I think if I had the money for nice prints, I would buy prints from local college art galleries or DeviantArt. There's a lot of great art out there being pumped out every day that deserves recognition.
    Every dialect is a language, but not every language is a dialect. - Einar Haugen

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Hostile Dialect
    I'm not sure I'd put up a poster of some great, revered work of art, but that's more because I want my walls to be more unique. Hence why my music posters are Jimi Hendrix - "Axis Bold as Love" and Miles Davis - "Kind of Blue". (That's pretty damn unique among my age group!)

I would put up an artistic shot of Paris, or a really beautiful artistic portrait of two guys kissing, or something. Actually, what I'd really like is a painting of the narrow streets of Toledo, Spain, or some such thing. I also hung up some framed photos my ex took with me when we were dating and we were at Ocean Beach watching the sun set. But really, what coastal California home would be complete without some ocean pics?

I think if I had the money for nice prints, I would buy prints from local college art galleries or DeviantArt. There's a lot of great art out there being pumped out every day that deserves recognition.
    It's not so much the prints I'm paying for as much as the matting and framing. I want the UV glass and high quality matting. It can get costly.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Kalhoun
    Is it cheesy to do this?
    No. Not all of us are rich bastids who can afford originals. None of that means we should endure life without enjoying our most favorite artistic works. Of course, velvet Elvis and poker playing hounds are still an express ticket straight to artistic Hell, but that is old news.

Tastefully framed prints of fine art works should never be regarded as anything less than sensible.

Registered
    Feb 2009

We have a number of limited edition prints adorning our walls. If it's a concern for you, limited edition prints hold their value a little better than mass-produced ones (or even appreciate over time), plus the quality of the print tends to be much better. $250 sounds like a pretty tight budget, so shop carefully! You could easily sink that much onto a quality frame, matte and glass combo in a lot of cases (we certainly have).

Anyway, no it most cetainly is not cheesy. I agree with the concensus.
    Hell is other people.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It's not cheesy at all. It's Art. Which I define as "something that I like looking at".

Would it be better to have the original hanging on your wall? Sure...maybe...or, maybe not. But there's nothing wrong with having a "copy".

This discussion brings to mind a visit we took to an art gallery at Pebble Beach a few years ago. They had a number of Ansel Adams prints there, that were printed from his original negatives. Meaning that they were, essentially, "originals". I thought that was rather cool 8-)

+ Reply to thread