+ Reply to thread

Thread: Eve Online thread

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Eve Online thread

There needs to be an Eve Online thread.

Recent events: The destruction of BoB, Kenny, the ascendance of Goonswarm and Razor.

The Apocrypha Expansion pack is coming with Wormholes and T3 modular ships.

So this thread is dedicated to the MMO that is twice as good as the next three runners-up combined.

This thread was also posted before a WoW thread.
    "And I hope I don't get born again, 'cuz one time was enough!" -- Mark Sandman

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Eve Online thread

I lost 3 cruisers today. I was so pissed at myself, I went and watched "A Cinderella Story."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Man my alliance got wardecced by a vastly superior force who could keep a fleet of 20 fielded 23/7 I lost so many ships in that and other wars. I am dead broke now and have to rebuild my capital. I'm still 100m in debt for my Hyperion that got taken in a gate camp.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I just started playing a few weeks ago...didn't like the way I started by first character, so I rerolled and started over again yesterday. I'm hoping I can 'get it right' this time, though I may start from scratch again after Apocrypha some out, depending on how different the new player experience is.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Suburban Plankton
    I just started playing a few weeks ago...didn't like the way I started by first character, so I rerolled and started over again yesterday. I'm hoping I can 'get it right' this time, though I may start from scratch again after Apocrypha some out, depending on how different the new player experience is.

Well you know how to contact us in the game right? Go to the 'Teeming Millions' channel.

What kind of character are you playing?

Registered
    Feb 2009

It is I, sturmhauke, here to spread the gospel of EVE Online. My character there is called Tyramatus. Tinker and I are corpmates, there are a number of other Dopers there also, some of whom are also corpmates. I'm mainly into mission running and research, although I've been trying to get into some PvP with limited success.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I've started using EVEMon, and I find myself staring at my Plan Queue for an abnormally long time. I can't wait for the epic mission arc. I wish they'd change the mission side of the game so there are no repeatable missions. I realize they all boil down to doing the same things (just as all MMOs do), but it's the stories behind the mission goal I like.

ETA: My character is Allya Modrane.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by sturmhauke
    It is I, sturmhauke, here to spread the gospel of EVE Online. My character there is called Tyramatus. Tinker and I are corpmates, there are a number of other Dopers there also, some of whom are also corpmates. I'm mainly into mission running and research, although I've been trying to get into some PvP with limited success.
    How'd it go last night after I left? When my computer crashed at 2:30 I decided to take that as a sign.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Tinker
    Quote Originally posted by Suburban Plankton

Well you know how to contact us in the game right? Go to the 'Teeming Millions' channel.

What kind of character are you playing?
    I'm playing an Amarr, with the intent of focusing on trading and/or research. I do know about the 'Teeming Millions' channel, and I'll be sure to drop in as soon as I figure out who I'm going to be long term. I think I'm going to take the next couple weeks until the expansion comes out to try a few things out, and then make a decision how I'm going to play the game long term.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Tinker
    Quote Originally posted by sturmhauke
    How'd it go last night after I left? When my computer crashed at 2:30 I decided to take that as a sign.
    Well we never did find any PvP action, but one of the guys found a drone site through scanning so we hit that. There were some battleship rats, if I wasn't there with the Cane they probably wouldn't have been able to do it. After that I went to bed, but they were talking about looking for more trouble.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ahh, I talked to one guy and he said that all that went down was that drone plex, so it doesn't sound like they found more after that. How did it work out having a fighter wing with your Cane?

Registered
    Feb 2009

It was cool. I kept telling them to let me get aggro on the rats, but they didn't always listen. No one managed to get themselves killed at least. That's n00bs for you though.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I really like flying with that guy Pesets, he has a good head on his shoulders. I've had my most successful PVP jaunts with him.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by DeadlyAccurate
    I was so pissed at myself, I went and watched "A Cinderella Story."
    Now there's self-loathing.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

For the record, I'm still in the wormhole. I guess I'll find a way out eventually, though who knows what part of the galaxy I'll be in.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well?!?

Did you make it out, or were you lost forever?

I downloaded the client update last night, but didn't have any time left to play...hopefully I'll be able to get in-game tonight.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Nope. Still in there.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

How the hell are you going to get out?

From my understanding any new wormhole you encounter has a good chance of just sending you into another uncharted place rather than a networked system.

I'm loving the new graphics update. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to run it on my laptop or that it would be too laggy but its fairly smooth. I like the way my ships look now, except for my retriever, I liked the old silver finish.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I found a wormhole! And guess where it led me. You guessed it, another uncharted place. This one is much smaller, though. Almost seems cozy after the 64AU diameter space I started out in.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm learning tons (compared to what I knew yesterday) about scanning and w-space in general. For one, I didn't realize w-space areas were different sizes. I'm bookmarking every place I find and sticking them in folders named for the Locus Signature of the uncharted space. I've seen my first harvestable gas cloud (though I can't harvest it). I've learned that sleepers are way too tough for my little group.

Always remember to bookmark the wormhole when you come through it into w-space.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I haven't messed with wormholes yet, but I did respec my character. My Int was way higher than everything else, which wasn't all that useful. I went with a more balanced base of Int 10/Mem 10/Per 7/Will 7/Cha 5, as opposed to my previous 14/7/6/6/6 which was the result of not knowing what the hell I was doing. I'm working on a lot of advanced Science skills, but wanted to bump up my combat skills a little too. Next year I might respec again for more pew pew. I have reasonable combat skills right now, so I think this should work out nicely. The skill queue system is pretty good too. The graphics are a lot nicer, but the sound is a bit whacked. Some of the new sound effects are pretty cool, but the volume is all over the place. It's really annoying.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yay! I've escaped. I was 30 jumps away from my corporate HQ (and 28 jumps from where I went in). The place I landed in was .5 space, but I had to go through half a dozen lowsec places to get to highsec and put it on autopilot.

I'll be a little more prepared next time I go in, and I look forward to doing it again.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Congratulations!

I'm not quite ready to go off exploring the unknown yet, but I'm looking forward to it as soon as I'm ready.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It was a lot of fun. I need to learn repair, so I can self-repair my armor and hull. I don't know if my corpmates are willing to give a wormhole expedition a try (there are only five of us), but I'm trying to get them to go with me next weekend to explore and probably mine. We're not ready for Sleepers yet; my husband and I are the most experience members of our corp, and we've only been in the game about a month. I got my ass handed to me just trying to look at the Sleepers, and came close to losing my ship.

Registered
    Feb 2009

My corp CEO lost a Hurricane battlecruiser to a Sleeper the other day. 'Canes are generally considered one of the better ships in the game, and this guy has good skills too. Me, I might take my covert ops ship and see what's out there before I try to fight anything.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I had no trouble staying away from any dangers the entire three days I was inside as long as stayed away from Perimeter areas where the Sleepers are found and didn't hang around asteroid belts while I was scanning. I didn't even scan other ships most of the time. I set a safe spot in the middle of nowhere and parked there while I scanned.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Also, what's the best ship to use as a scan ship (I'd like it to be capable of doing analyzing and hacking, too)? Right now I'm using a Blackbird (named Bye Bye), since I can only use Caldari cruisers and frigates. It had the best CPU and powergrid for me to outfit it with a scanner, a salvager, and a couple of missile launchers (which I plan to ditch). I need to add a couple of repairers, though I'll keep those offline when I don't need them.

I'd like to know what kind of ship to work toward being able to use. The perfect ship would be able to fit: scanner, analyzer, hacking module, salvager, a miner, and defensive modules (like boosters, rechargers, warp core stabilizer). And have a respectable cargo capacity. Even more perfect would include a cloaking device, but it's my understanding that's almost impossible outside of the covert ops (or is it the black ops?) frigate.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Only a few ships can use the covert ops cloaking device, but plenty of ships can use the two lesser kinds of cloak. The problem is that those ones make your ship ridiculously slow when active, and you can't warp when they're active either.

+ Reply to thread