Closed thread

Thread: How about a politics forum?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default How about a politics forum?

I think that would be swell.

I almost NEVER went to GD over at SDMB because it was filled with political threads that aren't that interesting if you're not from the US.

Any chance we could have a politics forum here? I have that sense that a few people might like one.
    "It's Quite Cool." -Gandalf

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: How about a politics forum?

I don't support this one. Maybe if the place gets as big as the Dope it might be able to support a Great Debates and a Politics forum, but not at the moment IMHO.
    I didn't make the world this way, it was like this when I got here

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

TheFlame (mind if I call you Flame?), can you tell me a bit more about membership "supporting" a forum? What's the drawback to having a forum that doesn't get a lot of traffic? I'm not trying to, uh, flame you. I'm genuinely curious.
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I meant that if there was a vote Yes/No for a Politics forum then I would vote No, for 2 reasons:

1) I think this board is of such a size (relatively small compared to the Dope at this stage) that too many forums would be detrimental to the development of the "forum communities", particularly the new GD's.

2) I think politics, unlike sports & games, is too wide ranging and varied an area of discussion to have its own forum.

Both of these are just MHO.
    I didn't make the world this way, it was like this when I got here

Registered
    Feb 2009

I agree that we should limit the amount of forums until the place gets busier. There's few things sillier than a forum with ten forums and only ten threads between all of them.
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When all you have is a bowel disruptor, everything's a poop joke.
    www.CuriouslyLydean.net - comics, cocktails, writing, and other odd things.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Makes sense. Thanks for 'splainin'.
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Closed thread