+ Reply to thread

Thread: Change the rules of Top Chef to make it better.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Change the rules of Top Chef to make it better.

As is complained about constantly, the rules of elimination on Top Chef leave a lot to be desired. Currently, one mistake in an otherwise strong contestant can get one thrown to the curb. Aiming to win a given week doesn't help you at all past that week. Being chosen as a leader on a team challenge is a lose-lose proposition because if that team loses, it's usually blamed on the leader, but being the leader on the winning team means no more than any other team member. Aiming for the middle of the pack every week is a valid strategy. Hell, just being next-to-last every week can get you to the finals, as Lisa showed in season four.

So, how would you change it up to be more fair, but still entertaining and suspenseful?
    I do not bite my thumb at you, but I bite my thumb.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Change the rules of Top Chef to make it better.

I would introduce Survivor-style immunity for winning challenges (not Quickfires) which the chef may choose to invoke in any future challenge (except of course the finale). However, they'd be required to invoke it before the final judging, but after the challenge -- based on their own assessment of how they did. I'd also not allow anyone to accumulate more than one, though I think using one and then gaining another would be okay.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Padma Lakshmi needs to be completely naked during every final panel.

I'd almost like to see them shake up the normal reality show rules a bit and have it where;

If the contestants do really good, no one gets eliminated. (They occasionally do this, but...)
    If the contestants do really bad, more than one can be eliminated.

The only problem is that it makes elimination management more difficult over the contest arc.
    I reserve the right to be bothered by things that don't faze you,
    and to cheerfully ignore things that bug the shit out of you.
    I am not you.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Chimera
    Padma Lakshmi needs to be completely naked during every final panel.
    Change that to "throughout the entire show" and I don't think we need anything else. :mrgreen:
    Political correctness will be the death of our country.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I just think the "only judge the dish in front of you" rule is absolutely ridiculous for a competition meant to find the best chef. I cannot understand why such a rule even exists.

+ Reply to thread