+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fuck you and this message board

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Fuck you and this message board

Yeah fuck all y'all and your splinter forum. Now I have yet another forum to cycle through in my forum internet addiction. Thanks a lot!

Tinker formerly known as mswas.
    "And I hope I don't get born again, 'cuz one time was enough!" -- Mark Sandman

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Fuck you and this message board

Quote Originally posted by Tinker
    Now I have yet another forum to cycle through in my forum internet addiction. Thanks a lot!
    You think I give a tinker's damn ?!?!

This message brought to you by NinetyWt, the Queen of Lubricants™.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by NinetyWt
    Now I have yet another forum to cycle through in my forum internet addiction. Thanks a lot!

I think you need a softer lube.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I think you need a softer lube.
    I just couldn't resist!!

It's better if you imagine it in my Mama's voice.

Registered
    Feb 2009

What the fuck kind of name is Tinker, you fucking cunt?

I keed, I keed...

Phalanx, formerly FoieGrasIsEvil on the dying netherworld.

Registered
    Feb 2009

That's a tinker's dam, which is a small piece of metal the tinker can melt down to repair pots.

You're welcome.

-- Baldwin. Formerly Baldwin.

ETA: I'm enjoying being a douche. Maybe a little too much.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Baldwin
    Well then I'm going to enjoy being argumentative.

The problem with that interpretation is that all those accounts ignore an earlier phrase - 'a tinker's curse' (or cuss), which exemplified the reputation tinkers had for habitual use of profanity. This example from John Mactaggart's The Scottish Gallovidian Encyclopedia, 1824, predates Knight's version in the popular language:

"A tinkler's curse she did na care what she did think or say."

In the Grant County Herald, Wisconsin, 1854, we have:

"There never was a book gotten up by authority and State pay, that was worth a tinker's cuss".

So, we can forget about plumbing. The earlier phrase simply migrated the short distance from curse to damn to give us the proper spelling of the phrase - tinker's damn.
    From here.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The problem with that interpretation is that all those accounts ignore an earlier phrase - 'a tinker's curse' (or cuss), which exemplified the reputation tinkers had for habitual use of profanity. This example from John Mactaggart's The Scottish Gallovidian Encyclopedia, 1824, predates Knight's version in the popular language:
    Oh, sure, clog up the pit with your FACTS and your LOGIC, will you? Cuntwaffle. No, wait, you're worse then a cuntwaffle. You....you...ED ZOTTI, you!

(I feel so ashamed.)
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Another website, Michael Quinion's World Wide Words, has this to offer:
    [Q] From David Halperin, Israel: “Why the tinker in a tinker’s damn?”

[A] There are two theories about this one. One points to the very low social status of tinkers, itinerant menders of pots and pans, and to their well-known tendency to include a swearword in every sentence. So to say that something “isn’t worth a tinker’s damn” is to say that it’s of no value at all, not worth even a moment’s consideration.

A more ingenious explanation was put forward in the latter part of the nineteenth century: when a tinker was soldering a pot, he would make a small wall out of bread dough around the place he was to flood with solder in order to stop it from spreading. After he had finished, he would naturally throw the dough away as being of no further use, so that “a tinker’s dam” was equally something of no value.

A century ago, the compilers of the First Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary were scornful of this attempt to make a simple matter more complicated, though it is still to be found in current works on phrase histories. It speaks to that part of us that wants to convert the mundane to the magical, to find something of mystery and interest in even the most ordinary of expressions.

You may gather that I consider the simpler story to be much the more likely. It is supported by variations such as tinker’s curse and tinker’s cuss.
    You may now resume the cuntwaffling already in progress.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison

Registered
    Feb 2009

You fuckin' edzotti.

The best cuss term evah!
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Baldwin
    Well then I'm going to enjoy being argumentative.

"A tinkler's curse she did na care what she did think or say."

In the Grant County Herald, Wisconsin, 1854, we have:

"There never was a book gotten up by authority and State pay, that was worth a tinker's cuss".

So, we can forget about plumbing. The earlier phrase simply migrated the short distance from curse to damn to give us the proper spelling of the phrase - tinker's damn.
    From here.
    Well played. See, we're fighting ignorance over here!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh yeah.

Fuck you tinker for changing your name. Now I have to stop and think, MrsWhatsit or mswas every time I see your name here.

As if I don't have enough to do already.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Mar 2009

Feh. My only complaint is that it uses phpBB. On the main forum page, you can't see the names of the most recently updated threads, unlike some other free message board programs. Maybe if Domebo takes off, TPTB will move the message board to vBulletin or Invision Power Board.

I do think it will be one of the more successful splinter boards, because it's not a "vanity board" that is all about the administrator; e.g. Fabulous Forums of Fathom, Skip's Magic Palace, and so on. Would Something Awful be as successful as it is if it was called "Lowtax's Place?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Something Awful is successful due to the marvelous logistical organization of Goon Fleet, and for no other reason.

+ Reply to thread