+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Explain your user name!

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Explain your user name!

The Martini-Enfield was a .303 calibre British service rifle adopted in the mid 1890s, based on the Martini-Henry rifle seen in the movie Zulu. (My primary interest is military firearms, generally from the Victorian era to the Korean War or thereabouts, in case you hadn't guessed )

Most people, however, think of "Martini" as in "James Bond's Cocktail", so my username manages to have a double meaning- it's not only the name of a vintage British service rifle (and thus reflects my main hobby and interest), it manages to combine connotations of The British Empire, Sophistication, Intelligence, Wit, Adventure, and Small Arms into one short title that sums me up pretty well, I think. :mrgreen:

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Martini Enfield
    The Martini-Enfield was a .303 calibre British service rifle adopted in the mid 1890s, based on the Martini-Henry rifle seen in the movie Zulu. (My primary interest is military firearms, generally from the Victorian era to the Korean War or thereabouts, in case you hadn't guessed )

Most people, however, think of "Martini" as in "James Bond's Cocktail", so my username manages to have a double meaning- it's not only the name of a vintage British service rifle (and thus reflects my main hobby and interest), it manages to combine connotations of The British Empire, Sophistication, Intelligence, Wit, Adventure, and Small Arms into one short title that sums me up pretty well, I think. :mrgreen:
    That's what I thought - the drink + the classic motorcycle.
    Aenigma sui temporis, ignota nativitas, occulta mors.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I've used the decidely uninspired calgaryjimbo in many locations over the years (name = Jim; home = Calgary), but when my wife, featherlou, started badgering me to join The Board That Shall Not Be Named, I actually found some inspiration. Rather than go for one of my more obvious pop-culture obsessions like Star Trek or Superman, I went with a Princess Bride reference. And thus, Dread Pirate Jimbo was born. On this board, I was typing stuff without checking my spelling as I registered and didn't even notice that I forgot to capitalize the words. D'oh. Oh well, no biggie.
    Hell is other people.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by TheFlame
    It's both the name of a rock song I really like, and a reference to the SDMB's Pit Rules.
    Burn, Baby, burn. (That's what I meant to say five days ago. Seem to have experienced a slight delay.)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Mine is silly but has stuck with me for years and I am loath to change it now.

I started using the net back on Prodigy in the early 90s when I was a kid in the 4th grade. I don't remember what my user name was then, but I do remember that when I wanted to move to AOL so I could hang out with my friends in the chat rooms in about (I think) 1994 or 1995 (that would make me about 12) that name was taken. I was under a bit of a time crunch to come up with a new name as I had a friend at my house helping me figure out the AOL thing and so I just went with my initials, NAF. That didn't work so I tried again with something else, that didn't work. Then I thought of George Lucas, who at the time was my hero (and in 1994 he hadn't done anything to change that) and tacked on 1138 after his much underapreciated (to my 12 year old sensabilities) film THX1138. That one worked.

So, now I am NAF1138 everywhere on the net, since it's easier to have a single net identity than multiples. So that's why there is a person who signed up to these boards while there were less than 500 members and actually chose to keep numbers in his name.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

My user name is an old joke/expression in New Jersey. The joke is that everybody in NJ lives near a highway exit. The reality is that most people in NJ do live near a highway exit.

In the dialect of New Jersey, we say "What exit?" rather than "Which Exit?"

How I picked this name was the result of a fun voting process and most importantly by the suggestion of Crotalus.

Jim

Registered
    Mar 2009

When I chose my username I hadn't realized that Dr. Drake is the name of a character of a character on a 90's sitcom, but the avatar should help with this! I have a doctorate, I am male, and I think ducks are neat. Also dragons.

Registered
    Mar 2009

We have a salesman that will come into our engineering office, usually just to chat. In a good mood, he will go around singing, "Kiss my hairy a." I know, salesmen.

On the other board, I was DirtyHippy, a nickname I got in high school, back in the 70's.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I just love the letter J.
    My name starts with J and every now and then when i change my name on MSN it includes J somehow.
    "The J Word" "Vitamin J" "It's a J!" "The J Way" are all examples of this.

Many years ago when i was causing trouble on another board and signed up a new sock every time i got banned, i always used J's somehow, either in the email address i signed up with, or in the actual name.
    If the moderators were actually looking for me, they could have found me.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

One aphorism used to describe the distinction between a language and a dialect is that "a language is a dialect with an army and navy". Hence why Mandarin and Cantonese are considered dialects despite the fact that speakers of those tongues can't understand one another, and, conversely, Swedish and Norwegian are considered languages despite the fact that speakers of those tongues can understand one another.

I'm always getting my panties in a knot about people denigrating regional and subcultural dialects, so it's kind of like I'm representing dialects with rogue armies trying to cast off the yoke of linguistic oppression.

(I'm also a sociolinguistics major who cares way too much about all this stuff for his own good.)

Most of this stuff was developed post hoc, and "Hostile Dialect" itself was just the winner in a Franchi-style naming contest over at the Board of Darkness. That was, however, actually based on the language/dialect/army/navy thing. That was a criterion set aside for the contest/poll.

By the way, I am a lunatic liberal and I'm not ashamed of that!

Quote Originally posted by CRSP
    And it's been removed, as some posters thought it was a guy in old-fashioned blackface
    Looks like a rag on the Roma people...not seeing how that's real different, personally...am I missing something?

Quote Originally posted by Vox Imperatoris
    And when I first saw your username, I thought, "Man, he should have gone with McNulty for that. It's so similar."
    Heh, me too!

But I grew up in a black neighborhood near Baltimore, so maybe I'm just used to it.

Quote Originally posted by liberty3701
    The 3701 was my prisoner number when I got arrested at the Summit of the Americas protests in 2001 in Quebec.
    Woah, that's awesome! You should start a thread about it!
    Every dialect is a language, but not every language is a dialect. - Einar Haugen

Registered
    Mar 2009

My username is a tongue twister in Hungarian. It means "Jamaica belongs to the Jamaicans."

Jamaika = Jamaica
    A = (definite article)
    Jamaika-i-ak-é = Jamaica - (belonging [to somewhere] e.g. America-->American) - (plural) - (possesive)

(also, Hungarian has copula deletion in the third person singular present when you would use "Ser" in Spanish)

so it's "Jamaica is the thing that belongs to the people of Jamaica."

On edit: Upon Googling, apparently "Jamaica" may be spelled "Jamaica", and not "Jamaika", in Hungarian...
    previously Jamaika a jamaikaiaké on SDMB

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

missred or some form of it is a name that I've used on the internet since the late 90s.

I've had the nickname of Red on and off all of my life because of the red hair. The "miss" is to denote gender.

That, and folks don't always "read" me right away.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Ah! It works on two levels! I like!
    Every dialect is a language, but not every language is a dialect. - Einar Haugen

Registered
    Mar 2009

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit?
    My user name is an old joke/expression in New Jersey. The joke is that everybody in NJ lives near a highway exit. The reality is that most people in NJ do live near a highway exit.
    Ha! Yep, used to be a few miles off exit 2 from I-95 in Ewing...

Joe

Registered
    Mar 2009

OtakuLoki

Well, 'otaku' is a Japanese word meaning, among other things, 'fan*.' In the US it's come to mean a fan of Japanese animation.

Loki is the Norse god of mischief (and evil).

So, I'm calling myself a trickster with a taste for Japanese animation.

*Well, usually it means 'obsessed, socially inept fan who can't be bothered to shower regularly' but I don't like to mention that part of it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

The original form of my name is Campionachi, which I made up for a religion class in school. We had to come up with prophet names for ourselves, and this is what I came up with. I combined camp, ion, and the suffix -achi. Camp because I love to camp, ion because I'm a science nut, and the suffix because it was common in the names of other prophets we studied.

I changed it to Campionaki to be more phonetically spelled. A complete phonetic spelling would be Camp-ee-own-ah-key.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Joe, I love your new avatar. And it's actually very appropriate for nethack (not that anyone would post on a nethack message board with avatars, but that's another story).

Registered
    Mar 2009

It's a long story. In 2001 when I first joined a forum I was still grieving over the death of my sister Sasha. She had an anaphylactic reaction after accidentally stumbling upon a fire ant nest. So when it came time to think of a name, I thought of her and typed in "bigbugsstingtokill". That name sorta annoyed people though because it was long and made no sense, so I eventually just abbreviated it into "bbs2k". I stuck with that for awhile, but even pronouncing "bee-bee-ess-too-kay" seems like a chore, so I picked up the single syllable nickname beebs.

Really.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by beebs
    It's a long story. In 2001 when I first joined a forum I was still grieving over the death of my sister Sasha. She had an anaphylactic reaction after accidentally stumbling upon a fire ant nest. So when it came time to think of a name, I thought of her and typed in "bigbugsstingtokill". That name sorta annoyed people though because it was long and made no sense, so I eventually just abbreviated it into "bbs2k". I stuck with that for awhile, but even pronouncing "bee-bee-ess-too-kay" seems like a chore, so I picked up the single syllable nickname beebs.
    Sorry to hear about your sister, beebs. I bet I wasn't the only one assuming your username meant you worked for the BBC...

Registered
    Mar 2009

My nick is German. Directly translated it means "togetherness". What I found interesting when taking German is that "einsamkeit" means "loneliness" (eins = one, zwei = two). I sort of liked the idea of reverse-engineering the meaning to be "alone in pairs". The feeling you can get when you're with other people, but still feel completely disconnected and alone.

Plus, one of my favorite bands has a song with the lyric "Bewahret einander vor der Zweisamkeit" (Save each other from togetherness). How bitter!

Usually on other boards I'll go by h0taru, but I go back and forth between the two. On AIM and other chat progs I usually go by some variation of "shadows on the sun". There seem to be a few different possibilities for the origin if you google it, but I won't tell ya which one it is.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by OtakuLoki
    OtakuLoki
    I parse this as "Otoucaloki" because of Otoucalofa Creek, one of several creeks included in a Demonstration Erosion Control project which I worked on as a graduate student.
    This message brought to you by NinetyWt, the Queen of Lubricants™.

Registered
    Mar 2009

PapSett- shortened form of my 2 chosen dog breeds- PAPillon and Gordon SETTer

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Hostile Dialect
    Joe, I love your new avatar. And it's actually very appropriate for nethack (not that anyone would post on a nethack message board with avatars, but that's another story).
    Both you and joe are killing me with those avatars. I have never frequented a board that uses avatars so this is taking some getting used to, over all; but you and joe are killing me.

Hostile, which came first on the dope; you or Harmonious Discourse?

My user name references Queen Nzinga of Ndongo who had a servant provide his back for a chair when the Portuguese governor denied her a seat at a peace conference, hoping to disgrace her. Or so the legend goes.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Mine is a reference to Tom Goes to the Mayor, a show that was on Adult Swim a couple years ago. The main character, Tom Peters, is so completely forgettable that every time his name appears in print it's spelled wrong in a different way. I don't really identify with him, but someone spelling Tom Peters as ridiculously as Taumpy Tearrs just.. tickles me endlessly.

The avatar is Tom in Hell.
    Taumpy: Oh noes, you aren't a super powerful wave of destruction.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Martini Enfield
    Sorry to hear about your sister, beebs. I bet I wasn't the only one assuming your username meant you worked for the BBC...
    Okay, at risk of starting out with a bad rep from the get go I must apologize. My post was trying to be over-the-top sarcastic. Ever since 05', when I first abbreviated my name to "bbs2k" I've always changed the story of what it used to stand for and why because the real story is much more embarrassing. In fact, think of it sorta like The Joker explaining how he got his scars.

The bbs2k -> beebs nickname though I believe started with a coouple of friendly folks in the MMP, and I liked it so it stuck.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Hostile Dialect
    Thanks. Looks like I made the right choice - I've had 2 or 3 other people say they liked it too...

Joe

Registered
    Mar 2009

I use this name on another board. When I registered for that MB, I just looked around my desk for inspiration. I was drinking a bottle of seltzer, and the label had the words "Sodium Free." I smushed the two words together, and that was that.

I decided to use that name on this board as well, for the sake of consistency.

Boring, I know, but you asked!

Registered
    Mar 2009

I needed a name when I joined that other board in 1999 and Jill (formerly Shayna) suggested I go by Grace because I liked the tv show, Will and Grace. Lame, but true.
    amrussell on SDMB

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Who you callin' lame, girl?

:mrgreen:
    AKA Shayna from SD

Registered
    Mar 2009

After a marathon Firefly viewing session, I wan't feeling all that creative when I signed up to the old place. I go by other, more creative names on different boards, but decided to avoid confusion and just stick with the same old one when signing up here and Giraffe. I didn't exactly set the world alight with my number of posts at the Dope, but just in case anyone was wondering "Hey, where's that Wash guy that occasionally posted in the Game Room?", well here I am.

Registered
    Mar 2009

My dissertation is on gluings of polyhedra. And it's just a neat word. I used to be Tenebras, but I decided to go with Greek instead of Latin this time around.
    Lady of the Lake on the Dope

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Nzinga, Seated
    Hostile, which came first on the dope; you or Harmonious Discourse?
    I'm pretty sure I came first, but I was called fetus back then. And I was always getting confused when fessie or furt or any of the other 4-6 letter uncapitalized F names posted. Then I switched to Hostile Dialect and thought I could breathe freely---and then Harmonious Discord came back from her hiatus. C'est la vie.

Quote Originally posted by beebs
    Okay, at risk of starting out with a bad rep from the get go I must apologize. My post was trying to be over-the-top sarcastic. Ever since 05', when I first abbreviated my name to "bbs2k" I've always changed the story of what it used to stand for and why because the real story is much more embarrassing. In fact, think of it sorta like The Joker explaining how he got his scars.
    To flesh this out for those who don't know, bbs2k is actually from bigbabysweets2000, Big Baby Sweets being a criminal mastermind in the movie "Big Money Hustlaz", sort of a white "Dolemite" for ICP fans.

And to expand on my earlier comment about wheresgeorge04's new avatar, Nethack is a dungeon-crawling computer game based on D&D where the player starts off with a pet kitten or puppy who is, hilariously, far more powerful than the player him/herself. Total coincidence re the avatar, but when I shared the picture with the #nethack IRC channel, everyone cracked up.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Jill
    Who you callin' lame, girl?

:mrgreen:
    I'm not saying you're lame. I'm just saying you picked a lame name.
    amrussell on SDMB

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

psst Hostile: Harmonious Discord is a he.
    This message brought to you by NinetyWt, the Queen of Lubricants™.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Mine is from an episode of M*A*S*H, where Frank Burns is trying to teach Koreans to speak english. He gets into an argument with Hawkeye because he was late taking over for Frank. So Frank calls him "stink fish pot" which the Koreans repeat. I've never understood what it meant, but it always made me laugh.

SFP

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Jill
    Quote Originally posted by Julie

My name is Julie.

Yeah, I'm that boring!
    Hi Julie, my name is Jill.

My previous board name, Shayna, is my sister's dog's name. I really don't want to be my sister's dog anymore -- I'd rather just be me.
    Hi, my name is Rachel. Only that was taken on the SDMB, so I went with stunningly original middle name route. On the one hand, it's boring, on the other, I do like gender specific names, and it's easy enough for people to remember and type. So that's good.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I think my username describes me well - most people see me as Vulcan-serious at first, but as they get to know me they realize ( I hope!) that I can't stop seeing the funny side of everything and I'm willing to try almost anything twice. Also, I like to sing.

Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello runner pat's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by renee

Hi, my name is Rachel. Only that was taken on the SDMB, so I went with stunningly original middle name route. On the one hand, it's boring, on the other, I do like gender specific names, and it's easy enough for people to remember and type. So that's good.
    I know a couple of guys named Renee.
    "To give anything less than your best is to waste the Gift."
    Steve Prefontaine

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by runner pat
    Quote Originally posted by renee

I know a couple of guys named Renee.

Wouldn't they be Rene, not Renee? Similar to fiance/fiancee (screw accents today).

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Pun on my name.. Well my last name, really. One version of the old SDMB boards allowed names to be partially in caps (not just when you logged in, but what others would see when you posted).

As "Clayton Smalley" "CLAYTON_e" was similar. After the board's software stopped letting me do that I realized that I found the all caps then the "small e" to be rather annoying.. so the pun doesn't make sense anymore.

אני אוהב יהודים!
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Mine is the title of one of my favorite Tori Amos songs:

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Zsofia was my SCA name. The funny thing is that nobody who would remember me from the SCA would remember that, since I didn't really use it much (I mean, it felt weird, you know?)
    "I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
    -- Terry Pratchett

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Let me put it this way: you'll never see me in picture threads.

Oh, in reality? I just like the word. Always have. I also happen to like The Mysterious Mr Quin and hold out hope for Harley Quinn as the villain in Nolan's next Batman movie.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I've always liked this quote from David Hume where he's talking smack about metaphysics and theology:
    When we run over libraries, persuaded of these principles, what havoc must we make? If we take in our hand any volume of divinity or school metaphysics, for instance, let us ask, Does it contain any abstract reasoning concerning quantity or number? No. Does it contain any experimental reasoning concerning matter of fact and existence? No. Commit it then to the flames, for it can contain nothing but sophistry and illusion.
    And since I teach philosophy, it seemed like an appropriate handle. Besides, it's a helpful reminder that most of what I post is probably bullshit.
    "Commit it then to the flames, for it can contain nothing but sophistry and illusion." David Hume

Registered
    Mar 2009

Great quote, Sophistry. It reminds me of certain passages in Max Stirner's more aggressive and unfortunately largely unknown Der Einzige und sein Eigenthum (The Ego and its Own), a book that needs to be (re)introduced to the philosophy student's must-read list.
    Aenigma sui temporis, ignota nativitas, occulta mors.

Registered
    Mar 2009

On the SDMB, I was meenie7, which is an abbreviation of Lindramine (pronounced Lynn-druh-meen), a fake name I made up when I first got on the internet. After a lot of people told me it sounded like a cough medicine to them, I shortened it to meenie. 7 is my favorite number.

CrashMyBicycle is a phrase from the song "South Carolina" from John Linnell's (from They Might Be Giants) side project State Songs. It's a little joke on myself because I have a balance problem which makes it impossible for me to ride a bicycle (or stay upright in crucial situations, sometimes...) I've used it before on a different board and I found it shortened nicely to CMB or Crash, which is also good.
    We are human after all...

AKA meenie7

Libertarian Autocrat Vox Imperatoris's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

[quote=Rabid Renaissance]
    Quote Originally posted by "Vox Imperatoris":r0ktgb3j
    I just did a Google search for "Vox Imperatoris". It gets a lot of results from Mafia games I hosted on xkcd (I kind of introduced it to that board) and one for a Diplomacy game I'm hosting; none from the Dope, though, which is odd, since I'd assumed that it was supposed to be searchable now. I seem to be the only one of my kind of the web.

The most embarrassing part, though, is that it shows my Pandora station as the first result, especially since that is my casual email address (as opposed to the one I use for official things, which is my first and last name).
    So you're already a Mafia veteran? Are you holding out on us for any particular reason? Does Santo Rugger smell so funny that you haven't wanted to come out and play? It may not be much reassurance, but I will do what I can to keep him from peeing on you...[/quote:r0ktgb3j]

Just saw this—done.
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
    Return of Blümchen! (To my Avatar spot.)
    Last.fm Pandora Political Compass
    Mentes Liberae et Mercatūs Liberi

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

My name is Robin, and I just tacked on the Ms because I'm kinda sensitive about being mistaken for a man. So MsRobyn it is.

I have another alias that I use elsewhere because I found out that I was sharing MsRobyn with a domme. It was weird getting chat requests from other women asking to be allowed to go to the bathroom.
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

When I type fast, I can't spell "trial". After cleaning off twenty or so test files called "tirial" the sysadmin at a certain place of work stuck me with it as a nickname. Many years later and my website is tirial&Error... (yes its a bad pun. But it's mine).

+ Reply to thread