+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Explain your user name!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Explain your user name!

I came up with this one for my blog on fine arts and music.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Mine has nothing to do with the eponymous Robinson.

Back when I decided that using my real name as a posting name wasn't a good idea, I was massively into the semi-trip-hop instrumentalists Red Snapper.

One particularly chilled-out tune I was into Crusoe Takes A Trip. I still like it. When the drums kick in at about 1:45 it really takes off.
    "It's so cold here, I miss the cactus, everyone's so tall, does nobody wear pants but me, why are they so mean to me, possum, why is there a possum, never get the sticky out of my hair, too cold, cookies are good, I like sprinkles."

Registered
    Mar 2009

Mine is just because I wasn't able to come up with anything witty when I signed up to the Dope lo, way back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth (OK, 2003 ops: )
    Rather than the impersonal "Nothing Special" which was all my brain could come up with at the time, I finally changed it a bit and went with "Noone Special" which at least says I'm a sentient being and not an object... (and that I can't spell for s***, since it should have been "No-one"; but whatever )

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Crusoe
    One particularly chilled-out tune I was into Crusoe Takes A Trip. I still like it. When the drums kick in at about 1:45 it really takes off.
    I found a full streamable version here in case anyone else wants to hear it. Not bad.

Noone Special, I always figured your name was a pun and your last name was actually Noone.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by McNutty
    Noone Special, I always figured your name was a pun and your last name was actually Noone.
    Yeah, and I'm an old-time Rock Star.

Right.... I wish!

As for the pun -- no, I was just totally lacking in creativity that day, as well as in grammar. But the Peter Noone references (as well as "Noon Special"* references ) eventually came from other quarters

* Which apparently is a term used in some parts of the English speaking world to describe a quickie-on-the-side over lunch break? Never heard of it before, and googling doesn't seem to bring anything up, but I like the idea!

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It's more commonly called a "nooner".
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It's my confirmation name.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Chaco" is my favorite: dog, place and shoes, in that order. I'm a guy and "420' is what I paid for my house. If you want to amuse yourself it's really a reference to the Columbine Massacre, Marijuana and Hitler's birthday.
    This is the most beautiful place on Earth; there are many such places.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

My user name reflects my attitude to the few short years we have on Earth,by a happy coincidence it was also the title of a movie about one of the greatest artists ever,Vincent Van Goch,though I haven't actually seen the film myself ironically.

I also owned Lust for Life on an Iggy Pop album when I was younger but I try to keep it quiet.

But as I said earlier the main reason is because I love travel,new experiences,adrenaline kicks and new knowledge.
    Thirty minutes of Googling not only doesn't make you an expert in a subject,it doesn't even make you right.Real life experience and education will win out every single time

Registered
    Mar 2009

Several years ago, I was in the habit of keeping a dream journal. One night I dreamed that I was reading an extremely fascinating book of poetry, and I made a point of memorizing the author's name so that I could look up more of their work later. When I awoke, of course, I couldn't recall a single line of poetry (which is undoubtedly for the best, as I am no Coleridge); but I did remember the name. So a couple nights later, when I impulsively signed up for a free message board, that was the first user name that came to mind.

Needless to say, there is no poet with that name; however, through the magic of the internet, I have learned that the phrase "terri fel" does occur in the Anglo-Norman metrical romance "Bevis of Hampton," where it signifies that Terry, Bevis' squire, fell down.

I believe that "terrifel" may also be an archaic variant spelling of the Portugese word "terrivel," which means "terrible." However, I have yet to meet any archaic Portugese who can confirm or deny this.

If I'd known I'd still be using it today, I'd probably have given it more thought to begin with. Oh well.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Winston is a nod to Winston Churchill, Smith is a very common British name. The name was contrived to be thoroughly and instantly recognizable as British, and (to a lesser extent) to Brits (or those familiar with British literature and/or culture) as a commoner.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I used this name on another board and just used it here. I hope nobody from that board recognizes me here.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

[b]phouka[b] - pronounced "POOH-kuh"

IRL, I go by my middle name, Robin. My favoritest of Shakespeare's comedies is A Midsummer Night's Dream, and my favorite character in that play is Robin Goodfellow, aka Puck.

One of my favorite books from my college days is War for the Oaks by Emma Bull. One of the characters in the book is a phouka, an archaic version of "puck". Also, another favorite movie is Harvey with Jimmy Stewart, whose best friend is a six foot tall invisible rabbit, a pooka.

My poster name is a common noun and should only be capitalized at the beginning of a sentence.
    The panther is like the leopard, except it hasn't been peppered.
    If you see a panther crouch, prepare to say "ouch!".
    Better yet, if called by a panther, don't anther.
    - Ogden Nash

Registered
    Mar 2009

Nothing too creative here. It's my favorite color and my favorite gemstone.

I lurked for two year before signing up at That Other Board because I simply could not come up with something as creative and clever as many of the names already there. I finally found a thread that I had to put my 2 cents in and Ruby was the hastily chosen name.

Registered
    Mar 2009

My user name is my function in life, according to the dog.
    dogbutler-100% fact free!

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

???

My best friend in high school started calling me "Tunaman" for reasons I cannot fathom. It probably has something to do with The Doors and weed, but I've actually never asked him (I never wanted to, actually).

Registered
    Mar 2009

Spacetime for Springers by Fritz Leiber is one of the all time great Science Fiction stories. It's the tragic story of a kitten named Grummich.

I was casting around for a user name on another board, thinking about how Spring is my favourite season when the spoonerism just came to me. it's a name I'm really happy posting under.

I'm G'neighbour on a few other boards (which I mention because some of you may know me there). That came about originally as a name for G'Dope because of the Australian soap opera Neighbours.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

For anyone who still doesn't know my name means "The Thief" in Irish.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I never posted in this thread, did I?

Elendil was a great King of Men in ancient Middle-earth. He appears briefly in the prologue of the movie The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. He'd be a great guy from whom to be descended, if he weren't, you know, fictional.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elendil

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Huh, evidently, neither did I!

One Cent Stamp was the name of a band I played in from about 2000-2004. (You wouldn't have heard of us unless you happened to live in central Utah during that time, and were into obscure local music.) It sort of became my online handle during that time, and stuck afterwards.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't appear to have either. Huh!

My previous handle (Caerie) was a name I had going back to when I fourteen and using IRC for RPGs. The nickname I used was a gender neutral epithet for one of my characters and I was consistently assumed to be male by other players. I finally just went ahead and made it Caerie instead, as Carrie was taken. That name, chosen at the age of fourteen and based largely on the fact that I had to misspell it to lay claim to it, has stuck with me for a lifetime.

And of course Zuul is from Ghostbusters.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Wacky, neither did I.

My husband calls me Sarafina sometimes. The way I spelled it is just a bit of a joke since I spell Sarah with an H.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Marsilia is the vampire queen in the Mercy Thompson book series by Patricia Briggs. At some point in the not-so-distant past, people were changing their names to coincide with vampire fiction, and I decided to go with a vampire that few people would think of. It sort of stuck.

My original name here (0ut0fMyHead) was, in all honesty, a play on the fact that I'm nuts.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I prefer Marsilia.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    I was accused, by my friends, of acting too much like a cat on occasions and as I also worked for a large consultancy, I was the only one who always wore a suit to work.

Hence being Cat In A Suit

Consider me Catbert, although for me its java coding and not HR.
    My how times haven't changed...
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2018

It's a reference to the Gems from Steven Universe on Cartoon Network as well as the word "frood" or "froody" from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. Yeah, those animated colorful genderless feminine aliens. Frood means someone who is cool, calm, together, and carries a towel. I just wanted a nerdy username with things that I love. I used it on another forum so I just used the same name.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by Froody Blue Gem View post
    It's a reference to the Gems from Steven Universe on Cartoon Network as well as the word "frood" or "froody" from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. Yeah, those animated colorful genderless feminine aliens. Frood means someone who is cool, calm, together, and carries a towel. I just wanted a nerdy username with things that I love. I used it on another forum so I just used the same name.
    I'm glad you explained that.

I'd been talking you for months before I figured it out.

Mine? Eh, it's just a riff off a name I had from some old board, and I thought, "That's no insult! That's a proper name!"

No, I don't put a lot of thought into these kinds of things.

Registered
    Mar 2018

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    I'm glad you explained that.

I'd been talking you for months before I figured it out.

Mine? Eh, it's just a riff off a name I had from some old board, and I thought, "That's no insult! That's a proper name!"

No, I don't put a lot of thought into these kinds of things.
    I guess people need to be familiar with SU and Douglas Adams stuff to piece that one together. However, maybe they would just get the "froody" reference because gems are a pretty universal thing. I guess the name came to me on the other site putting the two things together so the account was born.

That is a cool username and I didn't know that's where you came up with it. I figured with the J, it was a takeoff of your name but I wasn't sure if there was more meaning. With Jtour, I figured it was a play on "detour" with the first letter of your name before it.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I knew the Froody but not the Blue Gem side of it. I also know where my towel is.

Registered
    Jul 2013

That is a cool username and I didn't know that's where you came up with it. I figured with the J, it was a takeoff of your name but I wasn't sure if there was more meaning. With Jtour, I figured it was a play on "detour" with the first letter of your name before it.
    That's funny. No, jtour is just some family friends used to call me "JT."

No, there's no real meaning behind "Jizzelbin" -- it's just stupid and I ran with it, because it's good enough.

Good enough for a message board.

Registered
    Mar 2018

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    That's funny. No, jtour is just some family friends used to call me "JT."

No, there's no real meaning behind "Jizzelbin" -- it's just stupid and I ran with it, because it's good enough.

Good enough for a message board.
    I guess I was just going on assumption with the Jtour thing. I have made that false assumption for months now,

I do like the username though, it's cool.

Registered
    Mar 2018

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    I knew the Froody but not the Blue Gem side of it. I also know where my towel is.
    At least you can successfully hitchhike around the galaxy and have it all together. Despite my username, I think I am the opposite of the definition of the word. Always good to know where that towel is.

+ Reply to thread