+ Reply to thread

Thread: I have a post that I wrote to Czarcasm and Rico about...

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default I have a post that I wrote to Czarcasm and Rico about...

...I wrote a small post (haven't put it up yet, and may not) that I wrote to these two IMHO mods about, asking them if it was too edgy to run in the current atmosphere. To give them both the benefit of the doubt, they may have been too busy to read my little note in the past 27 hours, but I think mods usually get back to you pretty quickly if you're just asking a yes-or-no "Can I do this?" kind of thing. So while I wait, I might as well post it here:

Gents—I’d like to post the following in IMHO, and I’d like to get your approval for posting it, on account of it’s the kind of thing I don’t know won’t get one of Ed’s insta-bans, and I care more about my continued membership than posting this particular piece of piffle. Thanks for any guidance you could give me.

Pseudotriton Ruber Ruber

Has anybody ever lost so much respect so quickly as Ed Zotti has?

Don’t want to focus my aim on Ed here, though obviously he got me thinking. But I used to have him on my short list of “Humans I Admire and Respect.” He was funny, wise, industrious, far-ranging, smart as hell, wittily dismissive and he headed very competently an empire that included the best messageboard I’d ever posted on. He was right up there with Frank Zappa, Abe Lincoln, and my dad as a near-flawless paragon of admirable qualities.

In the year or so since Ed’s assumed hands-on administrative control over the Dope’s day-to-day operations, his stature is, ahem, somewhat diminished in my eyes. I’m so disappointed that I’ve been wondering what precedents and parallels there are to Ed’s transition from Zenith to Nadir. Can you suggest someone who, in your view or in general perception, has gone from so lofty a height of respect to such a low point so quickly? Either historical figures or anecdotal personages of your acquaintance (and do tell the anecdotes, of course) may serve to comfort me.
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: I have a post that I wrote to Czarcasm and Rico about...

There were two roommates in a row that had sex with a long term girlfriend of mine mere months after we broke up. The first was expected and understandable, the second I still haven't talked to since.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rico is usually pretty quick to reply to stuff, at least for me. You could poke him again...

Registered
    Feb 2009

I have found that Dex has always been immaculate in responses (as is FluidDruid). I have given up on Skipmagic.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

There seems to either be a temporary moratorium on bannings, or they're not announcing them lately.

I say post it. Seems harmless enough.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I think they know that banning any established poster would push the situation with regard to the relationship between long-time posters and TPTB over the edge and into the abyss.
    I didn't make the world this way, it was like this when I got here

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Winston Smith
    There seems to either be a temporary moratorium on bannings, or they're not announcing them lately.

Rico got back to me, advising me (or requesting, really) that I not post it there.

Which I'm agreeable to, or else why ask them what they think. But it is odd, I think, in that I'm certainly not violating any sort of rule with the post, other than being an irritant to Ed, which appears to be the explicit Prime Directive over there these days: "Don't piss Ed off." Did you catch him proclaiming that, no matter what, "cunt" is going to stay on the Bad Words list because he doesn't like it and he's got a billion zillion votes? Even when he's trying to be a nice guy (his meds kick in every so often, I guess), he can't help stressing the point that the SD is a proprietary site of which he is, ultimately, the sole proprietor, like we don't know that. It's like he's reminding himself that he's being courteous in letting us vent OUR opinions on HIS site, not acknowledging that some of OUR ideas have helped the SD thrive, while some of HIS ideas have been gigantic brainfarts. I would number as Brainfart # 1 the announcement of a policy, in the nastiest, most imperious tones possible, that after days of our pissing and moaning in 1000 different posts about, he has decided to revamp from scratch. Uh, how about opening up a thread or two to a discussion of the problem FIRST and then announcing the policy changes after some sort of concensus (or at least extensive discussion) has been reached? Do you really have to be the world's smartest human to figure that one out?
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by prr
    Quote Originally posted by Winston Smith

Rico got back to me, advising me (or requesting, really) that I not post it there.

Which I'm agreeable to, or else why ask them what they think. But it is odd, I think, in that I'm certainly not violating any sort of rule with the post, other than being an irritant to Ed, which appears to be the explicit Prime Directive over there these days: "Don't piss Ed off." Did you catch him proclaiming that, no matter what, "cunt" is going to stay on the Bad Words list because he doesn't like it and he's got a billion zillion votes? Even when he's trying to be a nice guy (his meds kick in every so often, I guess), he can't help stressing the point that the SD is a proprietary site of which he is, ultimately, the sole proprietor, like we don't know that. It's like he's reminding himself that he's being courteous in letting us vent OUR opinions on HIS site, not acknowledging that some of OUR ideas have helped the SD thrive, while some of HIS ideas have been gigantic brainfarts. I would number as Brainfart # 1 the announcement of a policy, in the nastiest, most imperious tones possible, that after days of our pissing and moaning in 1000 different posts about, he has decided to revamp from scratch. Uh, how about opening up a thread or two to a discussion of the problem FIRST and then announcing the policy changes after some sort of concensus (or at least extensive discussion) has been reached? Do you really have to be the world's smartest human to figure that one out?
    Damn. Good thing you didn't listen to me! HA! Ed's a turd burglar. You're right that the content we provided made that site what it is. I'm really blown away by what's going on over there.

+ Reply to thread