+ Reply to thread

Thread: Do they still speak French in the Louisianan swamps?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Do they still speak French in the Louisianan swamps?

There was a film on British TV over Christmas, where a unit from the Louisianan national guard is hounded by cajuns in the swamps (I cannot remember the name of the film, but it was from the 1970's or 1980's, by the looks of it). Is there still a sizable portion of native French speakers living in the swamps in small communities?
    Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur
    D'une langueur Monotone

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Do they still speak French in the Louisianan swamps?

The best source for language information that I know of is Ethnologue. Its entry on French, Cajun cites a 1988 source saying that it was spoken by about 1 million. However,
    Most under 50 speak English as first language, Cajun as second. There are children actively speaking Cajun to friends and family. Many speakers have low proficiency in English. Some use Cajun English.
    That would suggest that now it's only some people over the age of 70 who have Cajun French as a first language, but that it's not about to die out as a second kanguage.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

French, particularly Cajun French is very much a part of the culture there. As a spoken language, it's less common than it was when I grew up. The influence remains strong, though. There are still places that have double streetsigns--ie, Rue Green and Green Street. Syntax bleeds over into English...people "make groceries" rather than "go grocery shopping". That kinda thing.
    Valete,
    Vox Imperatoris

Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
    Blümchen—My Avatar
    Last.fm Pandora Political Compass
    Mentes Liberae et Mercat?s Liberi

Registered
    Feb 2009

The question has been answered, but I'm just chiming in to say that the movie you saw was probably Southern Comfort (1982) starring Keith Carradine and Powers Booth. Kind of a Deliverance knock off but a decent enough movie.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

You will find in many places with Francophone influence either different phrasing or a kind of ... exaggerated French pronunciation.

You get it in Louisiana (or so I've heard), and in various other places that once housed plenty of French people. Listen to (Curacao native and former Brave/Dodger and current Ranger minor leaguer) Andruw Jones speak and you will get what sounds to me like English from a Frenchman. He certainly pronounces Francoeur like my French grandmother would have.

+ Reply to thread